Dire Straits first album 5.1 - legit?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnA

QQ Supporter
Came across a 5.1 version (DTS HD) of the first album of Dire Straits and for the life of me I can't tell if it's legit or just such a good an upmix

Anyone here have an idea?

I find upmixes in general tiring to the ear, but this one sounds crisp and discrete enough to make me wonder

Came across a 5.1 version (DTS HD) of the first album of Dire Straits and for the life of me I can't tell if it's legit or just such a good an upmix

Anyone here have an idea?

I find upmixes in general tiring to the ear, but this one sounds crisp and discrete enough to make me wonder
I'm not aware of a legitimate surround release or I'd have me a copy already.

The only MCH Dire Straits is Brother in Arms. All the rest.... you guess... :)

There is nothing in 5.1 other than Brothers In Arms & Alchemy on DVD-V/BD-V. I reckon it has to be a bootleg of some sort. What is on the disc/box?

I first heard them on Radio London so well before they had an album out, which made me wonder if could it be an unknown BBC HJ Quad session that has escaped?

Thor the Sultans of Swing track there are ogg stems out there. Could be used for a surround mix.

I have a download of this it's very good.

Attachments

• Dire straits.PNG
    Dire straits.PNG
    331.5 KB · Views: 315
There is nothing in 5.1 other than Brothers In Arms & Alchemy on DVD-V/BD-V. I reckon it has to be a bootleg of some sort. What is on the disc/box?

I first heard them on Radio London so well before they had an album out, which made me wonder if could it be an unknown BBC HJ Quad session that has escaped?
Half true. See the above post #7. However IIRC most (if not all) of the disc sounds like upmixed stereo (including the BIA stuff) - but it’s been while since I listened to it.

Either way though, the only song on it from the 1st album is Sultans Of Swing

Yeah I got a listen it was a good upmix
Thought I would try and create quads from my vinyl rips for pure enjoyment and try to acheive something better than dolby surround and neural X.
Indian Summer Poco (just the 1 track). Little tinkering with Audition(not a lot) tried to get an immersive mix . 200 Mb flac from Mega . Anyone want to comment please let me know , Crap , Ok , don't bother !
227.98 MB file on MEGA

Back