Directional speaker cables

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gene_stl

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
Some of you may have run across the audio snake oil assertion that speaker cables are directional.
278920621_10158399017952077_2005775410015880247_n.jpg

The theory of directional cables, is that the shield that surrounds the two signal carrying wires should ideally be grounded to the component that carries the higher signal level (noise pickup would be grounded out at that point) to be the most effective. In reality I don't think that it makes that much difference. The few cables that I have that are marked like that I do try to install the right way around just in case.

Connecting a shield at one end can help break up ground loops, not sure just how effective that would be with unbalanced signals when the signal has to travel though a connection wire that is grounded at both ends anyway.

What I refer to has nothing to do with shields. (Yes shields should probably be only grounded at one end ) There are speaker cable companies that claim to have "oriented the copper crystals so that it will sound better in one direction" than the other. They print an arrow on the cable. Utter bullshit. Audiophile snake oil.

Don't know about them cables but I got some cans of Audiophile Compressed Air for blowing dust off tweeters before critical listening sessions. The negatively charged ions in the cans will neutralize the static charge built up on tweeters and restore the colorless high freqs to their natural pristine state. Twice a week is recommended for most users.
$29.98 per 12 oz can or $220 per case of 12.

...There are speaker cable companies that claim to have "oriented the copper crystals so that it will sound better in one direction" than the other. They print an arrow on the cable. Utter bullshit. Audiophile snake oil.

Those dang electrons just CAN'T be convinced they have to go BOTH ways!

It's my understanding that the directional characteristic of these fancy cables will allow you to actually hear the DC half on AC/DC records...Material that no one has ever heard until now.

Oddly enough, The photo in the original post is actually correct. I work for a place that manufactures heat exchange vessels. The heads on these vessels are held in place with large (3/4" to 1-1/4") bolting which employs washers. The washers are typically a "punched" product. One side has a flat (almost sharp) edge. The other has a slightly rounded edge. The nuts used are the same way. Flat on one end, rounded on the other. The rounded sides of the nut/washer always face each other when assembled. This prevents them from digging into each other when high torque is applied to them.

Don't know about them cables but I got some cans of Audiophile Compressed Air for blowing dust off tweeters before critical listening sessions. The negatively charged ions in the cans will neutralize the static charge built up on tweeters and restore the colorless high freqs to their natural pristine state. Twice a week is recommended for most users.
$29.98 per 12 oz can or $220 per case of 12.
🤪

There are definitely washers that are supposed to be put on in a particular orientation. But not the ones in the meme picture.
it's a joke!

I have always put the stamped washers rounded side up against the nut. The edges on the other side have a tendency to dig into the surface and help prevent the nut from working loose. Kind of like a lock washer. Not as effective, of course.

Doug

Oddly enough, The photo in the original post is actually correct. I work for a place that manufactures heat exchange vessels. The heads on these vessels are held in place with large (3/4" to 1-1/4") bolting which employs washers. The washers are typically a "punched" product. One side has a flat (almost sharp) edge. The other has a slightly rounded edge. The nuts used are the same way. Flat on one end, rounded on the other. The rounded sides of the nut/washer always face each other when assembled. This prevents them from digging into each other when high torque is applied to them.

Well, then you must know that the torquing sequence for a Fibercast flange is different than that for a carbon steel flange…and that you must use full-face gaskets on the former.

I have always put the stamped washers rounded side up against the nut. The edges on the other side have a tendency to dig into the surface and help prevent the nut from working loose. Kind of like a lock washer. Not as effective, of course.

I do the same. Glad to see that I’m not the only tech-anal nut trawling on this forum. 😜

Last edited:
Well, then you must know that the torquing sequence for a Fibercast flange is different than that for a carbon steel flange…and that you must use full-face gaskets on the former.
No fiberglass flanges here. All CS or SS or some other exotic steel alloy. I Think they use a 90 degree star pattern. Usually raised face flanges, Durlon gaskets.

Years ago, I had some speaker cables coiled up because they were too long for my speaker placements. The sound would get so confused that it would jump from the cables and it sounded like the sound was coming from the walls instead of the speakers. It was either that or the fact that I had (still have) a Carver C-9 Hologram Generator.

:D

Doug

Last edited:
Back