Discussing Black Sabbath debut album cover

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GOS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I love album covers......

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/...er-art-keef-keith-macmillan-interview-951578/
1612461131497.png

Thanks for the post it was a very interesting & in depth article. It also brings back strong memories like it was yesterday, my first encounter with that album.

I graduated high school '69 & the following year was very good to me. Of course it was music being the glue that kept me & my friends together. Long before the internet word of mouth spread like wild fire & everyone seemed to know at once that a major debut of brand new group was to be played just after midnight on album rock radio KCJC. I was in bed awake & just after 12:00 am clock radio standard time I heard a bell ringing...

The next day we were all psychically linked & got together to buy the album. Only about 11 hours after first hearing the album we met at our favorite record store, Blue Rock Records in the hippie enclave of Westport, KC MO. They were already sold out!! Were were directed to another store about 10 mins West called Capers Corners. We had never visited there before but learned it was owned by Ben Asner, brother of actor Ed Asner. It was an awesome place with a whole rooms devoted to different genre of music. Over the years I spent many happy $$ there. And the 1st one was, of course, Black Sabbath. For a whopping $3.00

Many happy memories including the low price of music!

Thanks for the link, Gene. I have always thought the cover of the first Black Sabbath album was one of the best covers to draw you in to hear what this album was about. On the other hand, I have always felt (and still do) that the Paranoid cover is one of the cheesiest in heavy metal history. It would have been more fitting for a 1910 Fruitgum Company album. BS2 (my favorite of theirs) deserved something more like the first album cover.

Back