HiRez Poll Dishwalla - OPALINE [DVD-A/DualDisc]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Dishwalla - OPALINE

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments! (y) :phones (n)

This was one of the early DVD-A releases from Silverline that was considered far superior to some of that labels other stuff. It has now been released as a DualDisc. I am not sure what that does to the status of the original DVD-A.

Dishwalla Front.jpgDishwalla Back.jpg

Last edited:
I am not a huge fan of them but got the DVD-A back in the days there wasn't much to choose from. I was very suprised. The fidelity of the disc is very good and while the surround mix is tame, it is noticable and very well done and fitting to the music. I found almost every song on the disc to be very good as far as the music goes and if you like Acoustic Rock you should check this disc out.

I agree 100% with what Savageone wrote just above.

The mix is not spectacular but the music was not offering a lot of possibilities. This is one the case where DVD-A is interesting for its fidelity (which is very high with this record), not necessarily for the surround mix.

Dishwalla deserves attention.

As far as I'm concerned, I place Opaline in the top 10 albums of this decade so far. The music is incredible, the mix is subtle, but very tasteful and does well by the music. Nobody should be without a copy of this.

I recently picked this up along with several other Silverline DVD-A's. The fidelity is better with this, the music is very good and the surround mix only ok but overall it is the best Silverline release I have heard. I did notice it is released under the Immergent label, and wondered if this is an indication that the Immergent releases are better than other Silverline discs. Most of my Silverline discs are ok but with fidelity that sounds no better than CD to me. I still buy them because I like some of the more obscure titles offered.

Chris

Surround mix is just not surround in this case. It is a plain 2.0 stereo with small amount of dublicate sounds in center and rears. It can be listened on cd without any losses.

Silverline does have some very good releases (both in fidelity and surround mix) so don't just judge all silverline as crap. Also I completely disagree with Ferret. The surround mix is not aggressive at all but it is more than just echos in the rear and even if this were the case the sound quality of this disc is tot notch and way above what a stereo CD would sound like so its worth it just for the extra fidelity.

This disc is definitely in my top 5 based on amount of play. For me, I find I grow tired of the aggressive mixes after a few plays but love them the first or second play while subtle mixes like this grow better over time. The Dishwalla live DualDisc DVD-A is pretty good.

Chris

Switching off surrounds on the fly shows, that them didnt offer too much to listening expirience. For me;)
And there are a lot of non-agressive ambient/atmosphere mixes, mainly in classic and jazz recordings far above this one.

Maybe your player or rear speakers are different than mine or maybe the level settings on our systems are different but for me the rears definatly open things up and make the recording sound much fuller and more enveloping.

FYI: I owned - and quickly sold off - this disc before I owned a dvd-audio player, so review reflects the fact I could only listen to the Dolby Digital mix. I gave this title a 5. The low score mainly reflects the very boring, ambient surround mix. Visual content was good though and this disc even includes an "easter egg" (IIRC there are actually two). Nice animated menus.

While I own Dishwalla's two previous albums and like them, the music on this album was too somber for my taste which is what actually caused me to finally sell it.

I know this is a very old thread, however; I just purchased the DualDisc version of Opaline and have been listening to it for a little over a week now. Music wise it is pretty good and interesting. As for the surround mix; I would rate it as very good to excellent. As others have pointed out it is not a ping-ping-pong-pong mix. It does make good use of the surround channels adding a significant extra dimension. My rating is six for musical content, eight for surround mix for a combined score of seven. Recommended.

You have to wonder what the politics are around what gets mixed into 5.1. This band was pretty much a one-hit wonder on modern rock radio with a song off an earlier album ("Pet Your Friends" - pretty underrated.) I wouldn't have even heard of this album if it wasn't for the mix, yet here we are, talking about this otherwise-cutting-bin album years later.

I got this for very cheap so thought what the hell, it is surround. The mix is not aggressive as stated by others, but not bad. The clarity is great and the music is growing on me. For the cost (on Amazon) this is worth adding to your collection.

Have a bit of time and going back through the stack, Dishwalla Opaline DVD-A 5.1 MLP (96k 24b), some tracks are a bit gritty and the surround is generally lackluster but I do like the music and lyrics. A seven maybe should be a six given the weak surround and SQ, it doesn't get better the longer you listen.

Back