Do the Magenta Live DVDs have discrete surround mixes?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Live at the Point is DD 5.1 but it's more "ambient" than discrete. Great concert though.

Live at Real World is also DD 5.1 but has much more going on in the surround speakers. It's not as discrete as some of Steven Wilson's more recent "live" material but there's still plenty happening and it's a great sound.

Both have great sound quality (for DD) and Real World is particularly good.

I gave Real World another listen last night after reading your post and although there is music in the rears it's really just a bleed through from the fronts with a touch of reverb. Sounds really good, but in no way would I describe it as discrete. It's an awesome live album, though - I only intended to listen to one track to check and ended up playing it all! It's also a very unique and original acoustic re-arrangement of Magenta's early masterpieces using a string quartet and woodwind as well as many band members from the as was current and earlier line ups. I cannot claim independence or lack of bias, though, as I was one of the two photographers covering the gig and a lot of my pics are in the gallery in the bonus section :)

I gave Real World another listen last night after reading your post and although there is music in the rears it's really just a bleed through from the fronts with a touch of reverb. Sounds really good, but in no way would I describe it as discrete. It's an awesome live album, though - I only intended to listen to one track to check and ended up playing it all! It's also a very unique and original acoustic re-arrangement of Magenta's early masterpieces using a string quartet and woodwind as well as many band members from the as was current and earlier line ups. I cannot claim independence or lack of bias, though, as I was one of the two photographers covering the gig and a lot of my pics are in the gallery in the bonus section :)

Thanks for that. I am only interested in concerts with real 5.1 mixes, shame these are the usual 'stock' concert mixes.

Magenta 5.1 mix (dts) confirmed:

MageBack.jpg

Magenta 5.1 mix (dts) confirmed:

View attachment 67910
My copy of Angels and Damned arrived last week, and am finally watching it now. Its an excellent gig, with great songs and performances from band and guests. BUT from a surround point of view its non-existent and confusing. The cover says the mixes are Stereo and 5.1 DTS Surround. The disc menu however gives the mix options as Stereo and 5.1 Dolby Digital. And listening to it now there's nothing at all in the front centre speaker, and only occasional echo in the rears, nothing else. So disappointingly its not really a surround mix at all.

Does anyone have this, and can confirm that my disc is what it is?

Same here. DD is the only surround option and it's a waste of a surround experience. I've only had time for the first disc, but seems to be a good performance.

Here's a new one, just announced in 5.1 Dolby Digital:
‘Reaching For The Moon’ is available in a 4 disc set (2DVDs/2CDs) and was filmed at the Arlington Arts Centre on May 21st 2022. It features an enhanced Magenta line-up, including percussionist, flautist and oboist, as well as a guest appearing by Andy Foster (Kite Parade) on vocals and saxophone.

Back