Does an aftermarket head unit (or factory unit) exist with an HDMI in jack?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnrd

Since 2002/2003
And the capability to playback in multi-channel? That, combined with an Oppo portable would be an almost heaven mobile system.

I'm sure with enough money they exist.

I've seen windows based head units, if they could play foobar from an external usb drive then any dvd-a or sacd .iso could be played.

In my car I have a 256GB and a 500GB usb external SSD drive that I hook to my head unit but I have to have everything formatted as FAT32 which is a PIA.

Unfortunately I think windows based units are a stripped down version of window (windows mobile or something like that) and I don't know if you can install and play software like foobar.

I'm sure with enough money they exist.

I've seen windows based head units, if they could play foobar from an external usb drive then any dvd-a or sacd .iso could be played.

In my car I have a 256GB and a 500GB usb external SSD drive that I hook to my head unit but I have to have everything formatted as FAT32 which is a PIA.

Unfortunately I think windows based units are a stripped down version of window (windows mobile or something like that) and I don't know if you can install and play software like foobar.

As far as i have seen Windows-based ones are based on Windows CE, usually running on ARM processor, not X86.
Despite its end of development, there are now many units based on the Intel Sofia X3 processor, which IS a X86 but i strongly doubt there is any Win* drivers for it - all these are running Android.

One possibility for mch playback in car can be done with
1) Android unit
2) Neutron Music Player
3) USB mch soundcard
Since Neutron can do a direct access to the USB sound card it will skip all the limitation of Android on the audio side.

All excellent but you still need a head unit that can process 6 channels discreetly, and to my knowledge nobody makes one anymore. Like Tim said, the hdmi capable units all downmix. I think it would have to be an actual pc as the source unit. Or a laptop with a quality 6 channel sound card, if they are out there? Kevin

All excellent but you still need a head unit that can process 6 channels discreetly, and to my knowledge nobody makes one anymore. Like Tim said, the hdmi capable units all downmix. I think it would have to be an actual pc as the source unit. Or a laptop with a quality 6 channel sound card, if they are out there? Kevin

Any car dvd-navi player featuring the "dual zone" option is doing a true multichannel in disguise.

I've read somewhere about a guy who built a car system based on a Kodi mediaplayer and using his mobile phone as the graphical remote control.

Plenty with 5V dc supply and HDMI output that do multichannel. WiFi from mediaplayer to phone. Media player has USB for media (FLAC etc)

Any car dvd-navi player featuring the "dual zone" option is doing a true multichannel in disguise.

unfortunately not the ones I've auditioned. Including the dual zone dual player in my 2010 town and country. It also down mixes both zones to 2 channel, they lead you to believe your front zone is 5.1 Dts but it's not really, it is 2.0.

I've read somewhere about a guy who built a car system based on a Kodi mediaplayer and using his mobile phone as the graphical remote control.

Plenty with 5V dc supply and HDMI output that do multichannel. WiFi from mediaplayer to phone. Media player has USB for media (FLAC etc)

Yes he was here, somehow had a laptop running kodi i think connected to his amps directly. i tried to pull more info from him but he did not respond,it's very, very interesting

Back