Does anyone build quality atmos receivers?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dust is definitely the enemy. My audio room has old carpet and I swear it's the source of more dust accumulation than anything I've ever seen since I lived in El Paso, Texas.
I run one of those air purifiers almost 24/7 but it won't pick up everything.
i picked up an Ikea rug for the living room last Summer and no matter how much i vacuum the bloody thing, it continues to shed this blueish greyish fluff stuff that drifts everywhere, its a complete pain in the arse, i long for the day its shed all its fluff so i can chuck it in the bin! 😂

How did you manage to figure that one out? That's definitely "out of the box" thinking.
i read it in a mag-a-zeeeeeen! 😎😅🤣🥳

only joking 😉 i don't know but prodding around in there with a long cotton bud thing i used to clean tape heads with somehow clicked a relay on and off and it never went into protection mode again 🤩

Well after disconnecting everything, it still goes into protected mode. It seems I lucked out that the warranty is 3 years, and I've had it for just a little under 2. Of course that means I need to be without a main receiver in the living room for a number of weeks while dealing with shipping it out, waiting, and having it shipped back. With my having this happen with both a Denon and a Marantz, I'm done with this line - Marantz is certainly not the company they once were. Still not sure where I'm going to next - it's all crap. Perhaps it's time to figure out how to pay for a McIntosh setup, and stop dealing with the cheapo garbage.
Hello AOQ...

Seeing as your warranty is still valid, you would need to call a service provider and box up and send out.

I needed to do this with a6 month old Denon Network Streamer and was none too happy about it(because of the failure). I looked around at warranty centers for Denon, but nobody local to central Mass. I could drive to CT, or mail it to United Radio in Syracuse. Calling Denon they said to just call whoever and make arrangements. It was painless and fast dealing with United Radio. I packed up my unit in factory packaging and then went to a 3rd party UPS provider and had it double boxed. I think the double box, peanuts and labor added $10, for a total of $49 to ship it to Syracuse via UPS for next day. It took one day to process internally at United, on the 2nd day it was repaired and shipped back to me(they took care of shipping $$ back).

I understand a receiver is going to be a lot heavier than what I sent., so it might cost you $75 to ship out. However- as a newcomer to this send away repair service- I found no reason to be wary of doing it again. United let me know every step and what to expect. It was very fast service as well.

Chris

Hello AOQ...

Seeing as your warranty is still valid, you would need to call a service provider and box up and send out.

I needed to do this with a6 month old Denon Network Streamer and was none too happy about it(because of the failure). I looked around at warranty centers for Denon, but nobody local to central Mass. I could drive to CT, or mail it to United Radio in Syracuse. Calling Denon they said to just call whoever and make arrangements. It was painless and fast dealing with United Radio. I packed up my unit in factory packaging and then went to a 3rd party UPS provider and had it double boxed. I think the double box, peanuts and labor added $10, for a total of $49 to ship it to Syracuse via UPS for next day. It took one day to process internally at United, on the 2nd day it was repaired and shipped back to me(they took care of shipping $$ back).

I understand a receiver is going to be a lot heavier than what I sent., so it might cost you $75 to ship out. However- as a newcomer to this send away repair service- I found no reason to be wary of doing it again. United let me know every step and what to expect. It was very fast service as well.

Chris
Marantz supposedly generated a fedex shipping request, and claimed a label would arrive in 48 hours. But I'm on day 3 of no label. Their support is shit. But yeah, it's the same deal, asked me to pick a repair place, and left it on me to call and verify things, make sure they aren't backed up and whatnot. Marantz has gone quite downhill - shit equipment that breaksdown easily, shit support, complete lack of care for their customers.

Marantz supposedly generated a fedex shipping request, and claimed a label would arrive in 48 hours. But I'm on day 3 of no label. Their support is shit. But yeah, it's the same deal, asked me to pick a repair place, and left it on me to call and verify things, make sure they aren't backed up and whatnot. Marantz has gone quite downhill - shit equipment that breaksdown easily, shit support, complete lack of care for their customers.
You've probably checked this already, but just in case I'll mention a possible trouble spot. Have you plugged the Marantz into other outlets to make sure it's not some sort of power issue in the lines? Or, it could be something like a surge protector gone bad (I've had a couple of decent Tripp-Lite Isobar's go bad on me in the last couple of years.) Also, have you had any recent power outages that may have damaged something in your chain?

Besides all that, I'm in agreement, it seems the AVR gear we're being served up is getting crappier and crappier from things I've read.

I'm almost starting to think I should look into some separates to see what's out there. I just want great quality gear that doesn't cost 10's of thousands; I may be dreaming at this point.

Well I'll serve up my experience with Onkyo.
I had a standard 5.1 AVR, TX-NR609. The HDMI board got flakey. I did some research and sent it off way up to Syracuse, NY from Florida to an authorized repair center, just about at the end of the warranty. I paid shipping to.
I suspect they replaced the HDMI board, so the (bga) media chip and other components (mainly caps) I suppose were as factory new.

I became aware later that Onkyo was offering deals to purchase a later 2016, Atmos capable model for $200 for those that had been through all these HDMI problems. So I bit, I had to strip off the serial number, mail it in with $200 and they sent me a new TX-NR656 5.1.2 Atmos capable AVR, which was my introduction to Atmos.
Never had any problems with it that I can recall offhand that weren't operator error. Good deal? IDK but it got me into Atmos.

Now put away in favor of my new TX-RZ50.

The old NR609, I recapped the board with spec'd, higher heat tolerant caps from the help of a fellow QQ'r and gave it to my Daughter and it's still kicking.

Before I bought my Marantz SR7013 and my Parasound amps, I checked for the location of the nearest authorized service centers. The same company is authorized for both brands and is 8 miles from my house. I hate to say it, but with today's dodgy equipment, easy access to an authorized service center is near the top of the list of reasons to buy a certain brand of gear.

Sort of in the same vein as what @J. PUPSTER was asking, but there are plenty of worthy components out there, pre-amps, amps, etc.
So assuming you're going to build a component system.
More along the line of what's going to do the decoding, what exactly is there out there hardware wise non-AVR for immersive codecs?
At minimum I would think you would need DTS-HD, Atmos. Then, maybe mpeg-h and Auro3D, and? Not saying such does not exists, just haven't seen them.

Getting electronics serviced in Boise isn’t easy. I had one of my Emotive Stealth 8s recapped a couple of years ago, and I tried a handful of places before I found an independent shop in town. $300 or so to recap a $700 speaker. Fortunately I have a workspace where I can do a lot of that sort of stuff myself. Getting parts might get interesting, though. And I have a bunch of older stuff waiting for that sort of attention.

Well, the marantz receiver is back and running again. Marantz support did eventually come through with the fedex label after some prodding, and Approved Audio Service in Connecticut had it turned around within a week. I've also taken the opportunity to buy a better shelving option for my equipment to give it more room to breath. The shelves I had did have a few inches clearance, so it's not like I blocked the ventilation - but it seems manufacturers are designing things to run quite hot these days, which is not good! Just another example of what crap is being deisgned and manufactured these days. Anyways, things are back to normal, and now I have more room for my eclectic mix of various equipment. Now I just need to get that Technics 5CD changer working again, plenty of room for it next to the Fisher receiver.
1673631721820.png

Well, the marantz receiver is back and running again. Marantz support did eventually come through with the fedex label after some prodding, and Approved Audio Service in Connecticut had it turned around within a week. I've also taken the opportunity to buy a better shelving option for my equipment to give it more room to breath. The shelves I had did have a few inches clearance, so it's not like I blocked the ventilation - but it seems manufacturers are designing things to run quite hot these days, which is not good! Just another example of what crap is being deisgned and manufactured these days. Anyways, things are back to normal, and now I have more room for my eclectic mix of various equipment. Now I just need to get that Technics 5CD changer working again, plenty of room for it next to the Fisher receiver. View attachment 87375
Is that an RCA 8-track changer? Wow!
I've seen cassette changers in the wild but never one of those.

Went to turn on my Marantz receiver this morning to watch a little TV while eating breakfast, and the damn thing won't stay on, keeps shutting off into protect mode. Merry fucking Christmas to me!

The worst part of this is, I still have the Zappa set sitting on my table, that I haven't gotten around to being busy with the whole Christmas season thing - now I don't get to listen to that until I get this all sorted out, whicih means dumping more money into a less than 2 year old piece of shit equipment.

I am surrounded by 50+ year old hardware that is still going strong, so I find it absolutly disgusting the current state of audio hardware manufacturers! How do they get away with this crap? Marantz certainly isn't the company they once were, just another one of those garbage companies cheaply fitting together barely working components to edge it past the warranty finish line, and have you coming back to hand over more of your hard earned money.

Are there any honorable manufacturers left? What would you all recommend for an atmos receiver I won't have to be replacing again shortly after purchase?
Anhtem has a good reputation for their Atmos capable AVR's and their processors. They are definitely more highly regarded than Denon, Marantz, or Yamaha.

On the heat thing...My new AVR has a fan but I've never noticed it come on, and in a review where the guy put the AVR through it's paces he noticed the same thing. I keep a 240mm fan running on top of it sucking the heat out, like I've pretty much been doing with my AVR's for years.
I run my fan from an outside 12v adjustable power source, but if you've a bit of knowledge you might find an internal source to run a fan/fans or do like the big bucks do and buy one of those fan assemblies to place on top if you're concerned. Pulling the heat away can't be a bad thing not matter how you do it, I reckon.

On the heat thing...My new AVR has a fan but I've never noticed it come on, and in a review where the guy put the AVR through it's paces he noticed the same thing. I keep a 240mm fan running on top of it sucking the heat out, like I've pretty much been doing with my AVR's for years.
I run my fan from an outside 12v adjustable power source, but if you've a bit of knowledge you might find an internal source to run a fan/fans or do like the big bucks do and buy one of those fan assemblies to place on top if you're concerned. Pulling the heat away can't be a bad thing not matter how you do it, I reckon.
I have been in electronic repair for over 50 years & I can 100% confirm that heat is the #1 reason for failures of electronic devices so anytime you can remove heat, the longer electronic devices in general will last. The biggest issue is typically with the component electrolytic capacitors as they hate heat & will fail much quicker in hot environment.

Modern receivers now are a combination of computer type microprocessors which generate heat combined with high power many channel amplifiers which can generate high temperatures when run at high volume for long periods on time with many receivers not really designed for all this heat generation so fan(s) are a very good choice to remove this heat. If your receiver is placed in a cabinet with glass doors on the front and/or a backing on the back of it, this can really restrict air flow to the receiver
which will create additional heat issues.

Rog

I'm interested in that model, anticipating your comments!

Are you also interested in Tidal/Amazon Music - 360 Reality Audio / MPEG H access?
I searched the web bout songs that are 360 but not Atmos. I will decide, when I found out more about it. Only a few albums in 360 exklusively would not turn me to buy the fire cube.

I searched the web bout songs that are 360 but not Atmos. I will decide, when I found out more about it. Only a few albums in 360 exklusively would not turn me to buy the fire cube.
There's a lot of Atmos DD+ content coming and going on Tidal. If you can be alright with lossy Atmos, a lot of good "stuff" has appeared, depending of course on your taste in music. It doesn't necessarily stay available for a long time I understand. Sometimes you can get deals on Tidal's "hi fi" subscription for a limited time and check it out, at least over here.
The M4A format downloads fill out my 7.1.4 system, some well, some not so much. I playback on PowerDVD Ultra from the pc, which handles the M4A and MP4 formats (bitstreamed) just fine. VLC media player seems to have a problem with some flles; sometimes changing the extension helps.
FWIW.

Congrats on your new AVR!
Not in your league, but I bought an Onkyo TX-RZ50 last December and it handles my Atmos system well. Especially impressed with the Dirac Live room adjustment .
Of course the price on mine has dropped for a sale price of nearly $500 off retail for careful shoppers. Such is life.

Back