Does anyone build quality atmos receivers?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been sniffing around buying a new AVR. To be honest, I really don't know if I need one...more than I just want one. I've been debating this one...except...what? No wifi, no air play? Unless it's hidden in the specs somewhere. But I think it doesn't have those. Outside of that, it seems like a solid piece, for $2000

Emotiva - BasX MR1 11.2 Channel Dolby Atmos® & DTS:X™ Cinema Receiver BasX MR1 11.2 Channel Dolby Atmos® & DTS:X™ Cinema Receiver

Not sure if it matters to you but it doesn't have the latest hdmi 2.1.

Reactions: GOS
One thing I realized long ago is that there’s always someone who can do something I can do better than I can do it. So not everyone needs to be an engineer, and although I still feel like I CAN design circuits, the ones I want to design will simply be to perform a function for me or my immediate family. I’m no longer in the trade.

Yes, most of the MCH gear available is built for the theater crowd. I honestly can’t hear the deficiencies that might result from any decisions the manufacturers may have made in that regard. One thing I seem to do is see how I can use every feature of my pre-pro, which is why I have outdoor AM and FM antennas and analog connections for a laserdisc and a Motorola Teleplayer, to mention a few.

As I’ve noted, my goal in my room is “pretty good.” That will make it better than my ears, alas. The room is primarily for my enjoyment, although I have seating for four, and most of my listening and viewing is done solo.

I can’t say for certain that I would ask for your expertise in metallurgy or battery chemistry in this forum, but maybe I’ll come up with a project that needs your help.
You sound much like me now at 73 & retired for 10 years. I don't design or build near as much audio & video electronics as
I used to although I did just build a 5.1 mixdown circuit to stereo for my old CRT music display a month ago. Electronics are so cheap now that it much easier to just buy what you need now I am finding.

As far as sound, my ears now have bad tinnitus + limited high frequencies also so I can't hear the best quality anymore also.

Rog

You sound much like me now at 73 & retired for 10 years. I don't design or build near as much audio & video electronics as
I used to although I did just build a 5.1 mixdown circuit to stereo for my old CRT music display a month ago. Electronics are so cheap now that it much easier to just buy what you need now I am finding.

As far as sound, my ears now have bad tinnitus + limited high frequencies also so I can't hear the best quality anymore also.

Rog
I have a Heathkit Audioscope. Is that the CRT music display you're mentioning? I replaced the NE-2 indicators with green LEDs, and added a sum-and-difference circuit to rotate the stereo display 45 degrees. Just can't leave stuff alone!

I worked a few years longer than you did, but I had about a year and a half where I was unemployed in my late 50s, so I had some financial catching up to do. I've been a gentleman of leisure for 8 years, during which time I moved to Idaho where I could pay cash for my home and have some left over to build my room, which is linked to in my signature.

One thing that seems hard to find these days is a MCH audio to HDMI adapter. I might be able to build one. Most AVRs these days have very limited MCH analog audio inputs (my Marantz 7701 has one set), and my beloved quad decoders are sitting unused because my Oppo 105 is connected there. Maybe a relay array would work, too, but it ain't happening this year.

Yeah, my ears don't hear what they used to, my eyes don't see what they used to, and there's a few other body parts that don't whatever like they used to. :rolleyes:

Finding a mch to HDMI adapter is not only hard but impossible, it seems, at least on the open market..
That one could be built I have confidence. I believe @chucky3042 and his group are trying to partner with some people that can get make it available.

Probably the folks that could make it available just don't see a market for it. It probably is a niche market in the grand scheme of things.
Then there are the HDMI "dues" one must pay to manufacture and sell such a device for said niche market.

Yes I have 2 AD-1013 Heathkit Audioscopes but the displays I am talking about are two 19" CRT Color music displays I
designed many years ago.

I just recently decided to update to full HDMI support with one non Atmos receiver & one Atmos receiver.

Rog

I can’t say for certain that I would ask for your expertise in metallurgy or battery chemistry in this forum, but maybe I’ll come up with a project that needs your help.
Yes Sir, I get it entirely. You believe that products are entirely dependent on persons with a EE degree. Forget Material Science, without which there would be no transistors, etc. Or the guy that designs the cabinets and knows the tolerances for metal bends. etc etc. so on and so on.

Yep I get that you think I contribute/contributed nothing.

Then carry on Sir and hold your beliefs firmly to your chest. It's all good.

Yes I have 2 AD-1013 Heathkit Audioscopes but the displays I am talking about are two 19" CRT Color music displays I
designed many years ago.

I just recently decided to update to full HDMI support with one non Atmos receiver & one Atmos receiver.

Rog
Interesting. Our own @Mark Anderson had a post sometime back concerning 17" color CRT audioscope but it was Technics. Be sure & check out the video link he posted for the device in action:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/technics-4-channel-afd-17-color-scope.22735/

Two Yamaha receivers working well, I'm atmos happy. Abbey Road is played often.

What you think @chucky3042 ?
I have not seen his posts till now. I guess you are talking about him liking the Surround Master v2 he talks about which I have
never heard of before? Sounds like he is impressed by it. My attitude is everyone has their preferences for surround sound & that is fine with me.

Rog

I have not seen his posts till now. I guess you are talking about him liking the Surround Master v2 he talks about which I have
never heard of before? Sounds like he is impressed by it. My attitude is everyone has their preferences for surround sound & that is fine with me.

Rog
Rog he's with the company that builds the Surround Master. But in a conversation Chucky mentioned they were talking with some people about getting an analog to HDMI cable. At the time there did not seem to be anything out on the open market.

Yes Sir, I get it entirely. You believe that products are entirely dependent on persons with a EE degree. Forget Material Science, without which there would be no transistors, etc. Or the guy that designs the cabinets and knows the tolerances for metal bends. etc etc. so on and so on.

Yep I get that you think I contribute/contributed nothing.

Then carry on Sir and hold your beliefs firmly to your chest. It's all good.
Well, no. Sorry you got that idea. My personal projects are the ones I can accomplish with the skills I have. Sort of like a hammer thinks every problem is a nail.

I’ve been on design teams where we all utilize our different skills - mechanical for the cabinets and access panels, me for circuits, and programmers for code. Not to leave out the guy whomis responsible for actually bringing in the money - the salesman!

More than disparaging your contributions, I more intended to indicate my incompetence in judging them. I’ve never worked with a metallurgist. But I know that 6061-T6 didn’t come out of the mine that way. Someone, more likely several someones, tried several alloy mixes and tested them in ways I can’t comprehend to come up with a product that has been strong yet easy to machine for at least fifty years.

Again, I apologize if I wrote things you found offensive.

Well, no. Sorry you got that idea. My personal projects are the ones I can accomplish with the skills I have. Sort of like a hammer thinks every problem is a nail.

I’ve been on design teams where we all utilize our different skills - mechanical for the cabinets and access panels, me for circuits, and programmers for code. Not to leave out the guy whomis responsible for actually bringing in the money - the salesman!

More than disparaging your contributions, I more intended to indicate my incompetence in judging them. I’ve never worked with a metallurgist. But I know that 6061-T6 didn’t come out of the mine that way. Someone, more likely several someones, tried several alloy mixes and tested them in ways I can’t comprehend to come up with a product that has been strong yet easy to machine for at least fifty years.

Again, I apologize if I wrote things you found offensive.
My apologies as well.

Rog he's with the company that builds the Surround Master. But in a conversation Chucky mentioned they were talking with some people about getting an analog to HDMI cable. At the time there did not seem to be anything out on the open market.
Thanks for letting me know.
Rog

Back