Does anyone still offer a multi-channel SACD player?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Using Marantz and Denon gear combined with very inexpensive Monoprice Certified HDMI cables, I've had near zero issues over the last 15 or more years? Only when my system was hit by lightning last summer did I go thru a number of headaches. I've now got a Monoprice 50' active optical cable handling the Linux music-video to AVR chores that is working reliably.
Coincidentally, I did just deal with my most recent fury-inducing HDMI issue by getting Monoprice 8k HDMI cables and, so far anyway, I'm happy with them. I don't have any plans to go to 8k, but for the price it seemed like possible overkill was preferable to not going big enough.

As for Marantz, it was an older one of theirs that gave me HDCP grief, though I realize that it wasn't their fault. Ironically, had I illegally ripped my 4k discs and removed the copy protection, it would have worked fine. That receiver was a used replacement for the Onkyo that had to be recycled due to HDMI death (I went with old for the price and the multichannel analog in) but it only lasted a few months before deciding to start making some bizarre noises. In hindsight, I wish I'd disconnected all HDMI before retiring it, just to see if I could blame HDMI for yet another expensive headache.

Going back a few years to the 4k revolution, there were a ton
of HDMI issues due to a lot of factors. Mostly due to the fact the
customers weren't totally informed on the gear and cabling requirements.
We hear much of the same today involving Atmos requirements.
I'd like to have a dollar for every post I made at AVS and elsewhere
recommending Monoprice 4/8K cables to fix the user problems. ;)
Many cables at the time were mis-represented as being compatible
and weren't, much more.
HDMI isn't without it's issues for sure, but many other things have contributed
to the headaches at a much higher level.
Yeah, one of the most recent issues was with an Nvidia Shield that worked great for months. One day it prompted me to turn on Dolby Vision, at which point it went crazy. I thought it was just another case of a manufacturer claiming it had some feature that turned out to be poorly implemented, but it's been working since getting a Monoprice 8k cable.

There's definitely a LOT of confusion (and no doubt simple dishonesty) when it comes to marketing the cables and clearly stating what they will or will not do.

Well I use mostly PowerDVD Ultra version to play music, (bitstreamed to AVR) and it will choke on ripped .iso with copy protection so I remove it first time the disc goes in the little external pc disc player.
I'm not encouraging anyone else to do so, but it works for me. Legal or otherwise, the merits of which I won't debate here.

Very much enjoying the UBP-X800M2 I purchased a few months back. Plays about 98% of things I toss at it, just not a select few burned DVDs.
Of course, I have no data on your system, but I’ve run across a couple of instances where DVD-R discs didn’t work, but all of my DVD+R discs have been fine.

Very much enjoying the UBP-X800M2 I purchased a few months back. Plays about 98% of things I toss at it, just not a select few burned DVDs.
We also have that model. It lacks the on/off button on the back badly, as it freezes too easily and too frequently. Otherwise, a fine piece of hardware.

I have bought myself a 2nd hand universal player to supplement what I already have - Sony ubp-x800M2 for 4k, sacd and dvd-audio, and my Panasonic dmp-bdt270 for all region dvd’s. It’s a Yamaha bd-a1040, my reason for purchase is rather simple, I like to listen with the tv off and neither of my players have a display without the tv on so that annoyed me to the point of distraction, I have been looking for a universal player with display for a while but all I ever see is oppo’s, now I know they are fantastic players but omg you need to be rich to buy even an old version, I saw this on gumtree (like craigslist) for £70, checked out the specs online, found out it plays blu-ray, sacd, dvd-audio and hdcd (which I have a few of), so phoned him, he says it was 8 years old and was hardly used, when I asked him about the sound quality on these discs he said he never had a home theatre or anything and there was no box with it, I played dumb and offered him £50 for a quick sale which he accepted.
I have been playing it a couple of days now and I can hear a big difference in quality over the Sony BUT (there’s always a but) it sometimes freezes up on dvd-audio, perfect with blu-rays and sacd, has anyone came across this with any player and if so is there a solution?
Sorry for the long rambling post

I have not had that particular problem with either Oppo's or my probably even older Samsung.

Do you have any "self burned" DVDA discs, and only those freezing? If so if the copy protections weren't removed then I think playing time is limited to about maybe 30 seconds.

EDIT: What I mean exactly is that if either the folders were extracted from a commercial disc with copy protection, or as an ,iso, and then burned to a DVD disc on the pc, then as I said playing time would be limited.
But I've read others say they have had similar problems with that model, although I'm not sure if it was DVDA specifically.

Last edited:
I have not had that particular problem with either Oppo's or my probably even older Samsung.

Do you have any "self burned" DVDA discs, and only those freezing? If so if the copy protections weren't removed then I think playing time is limited to about maybe 30 seconds.

EDIT: What I mean exactly is that if either the folders were extracted from a commercial disc with copy protection, or as an ,iso, and then burned to a DVD disc on the pc, then as I said playing time would be limited.
But I've read others say they have had similar problems with that model, although I'm not sure if it was DVDA specifically.
No, they’re all original discs, no self burned or copies

Back