Does anyone still offer a multi-channel SACD player?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All this begs the question... Why doesn't anybody manufacture an multi-channel amplifier with HDMI inputs that's dedicated to audio decoding along with video pass-through.

Personally, I don't need a AVR that offers a radio, bluetooth, apps, video processing, weird audio effects or any other fancy features. I just want a device that decodes the major audio formats such as: PCM, the Dolby's, the DTS's and maybe Auro and MPEG-H.
Have you checked Emotiva?

Reactions: GOS
Performance has to be pretty darn poor to be actually routinely audible.

And for me, with everything ripped to files, there's no need for a holy Oppo device. ;)
I use my Oppo to play files. The only things it doesn’t do is shuffle (which my roku does) and play MS playlists from a PC (which my Marantz does, but not all that well).

Its DACs are excellent, and as I noted in an earlier post, I did an informal comparison of how it played a FLAC on a stick and preferred it to the Marantz.

Last edited:
I use my Oppo to play files. The only things it doesn’t do is shuffle (which my roku does) and play MS playlists from a PC (which my Marantz does, but not all that well).

Its DACs are excellent, and as I noted in an earlier post, I did an informal comparison of how it played a FLAC on a stick and preferred it to the Marantz.
I was never able to compare dacs like you did.. so ty for that! We have 3 oppos. The udp203 in the living room, bdp93 bedroom, and the bdp103 sitting aside in it's box waiting for a tube amp thats been on order for over 1 1/2 years now. Never a single problem with any of them over the years. Keepers for sure! Sure wish they would have stayed put in the physical playback world.👌

I was never able to compare dacs like you did.. so ty for that! We have 3 oppos. The udp203 in the living room, bdp93 bedroom, and the bdp103 sitting aside in it's box waiting for a tube amp thats been on order for over 1 1/2 years now. Never a single problem with any of them over the years. Keepers for sure! Sure wish they would have stayed put in the physical playback world.👌
I’ve had a couple of issues with my Oppo 105D that all seemed to be due to corrupted USB sticks that I left plugged in to the Oppo all the time. Other than that, it’s been the workhorse source for me for about a decade.

I’m not sure if I want to outlive it. I’ll be devastated when it dies.

I’ve had a couple of issues with my Oppo 105D that all seemed to be due to corrupted USB sticks that I left plugged in to the Oppo all the time. Other than that, it’s been the workhorse source for me for about a decade.

I’m not sure if I want to outlive it. I’ll be devastated when it dies.
Did your player itself remain ok once the bad usb sticks not used? That 105 I really wanted at the time..just couldn't swing it so went for the 103. You have a fantastic player.

Did your player itself remain ok once the bad usb sticks not used? That 105 I really wanted at the time..just couldn't swing it so went for the 103. You have a fantastic player.
The player is fine as of yesterday (I haven’t fired anything but my ipad up today). Unplugging the sticks usually worked, although unplugging the Oppo from power has also been done, although that might not have been necessary.

Yeah, I love my player, although the extra $100 for Darby was wasted.

I have three Oppo's and an old Samsung "universal" players.
Oppo DV-970HD (my first one)
Oppo BDP-80 (first BD player?) Plays SACD-R natively as they didn't change the firmware on it. FWIW.
Oppo BDP-103 (Only one not boxed up and stored)

I had a Samsung HD-841 and a Samsung HD941, both with hacked firmware. I gave the 941 to my stepson, still have the other.

Alas I missed the boat on buying the newer model Oppo's. But although I don't really use a disc player that much, the 103 is jailbroke and suits me just fine.

Only the 970HD has been out to Cali for repairs. Don't remember exactly what they did, but it was repaired and on it's way back the same day they received. Great service!
Cost I think $49 + shipping to Cali, the return was on their dime.

I have three Oppo's and an old Samsung "universal" players.
Oppo DV-970HD (my first one)
Oppo BDP-80 (first BD player?) Plays SACD-R natively as they didn't change the firmware on it. FWIW.
Oppo BDP-103 (Only one not boxed up and stored)

I had a Samsung HD-841 and a Samsung HD941, both with hacked firmware. I gave the 941 to my stepson, still have the other.

Alas I missed the boat on buying the newer model Oppo's. But although I don't really use a disc player that much, the 103 is jailbroke and suits me just fine.

Only the 970HD has been out to Cali for repairs. Don't remember exactly what they did, but it was repaired and on it's way back the same day they received. Great service!
Cost I think $49 + shipping to Cali, the return was on their dime.
I had heard they handled business just like you said..👌

"Hate Defecation Murder Interface?" Please tell me that you're not serious.
HDMI is convenient when it works. But it doesn't always and I seem to be extra-cursed when it comes to it, so I have a massive attitude problem regarding it. I've had two Onkyo receivers with a total of three defective HDMI boards, Raspberry Pi boxes that couldn't reliably output multichannel PCM via HDMI, a Roku that kept randomly going black until I re-routed the HDMI connection through a torturous, inconvenient hack of a workaround, and probably other stuff I'm forgetting.

Within the last couple months I've had two different components decide that, sure, they'd been working fine for years with their existing HDMI cables, but they no longer wanted to until I replaced those cables with fancier ones. Does that mean I'd had years of dumb luck previously or does it mean that HDMI cables are so fragile that they simply give out after a while? I don't know, but if the latter that makes then inferior to what I used for decades before the advent of HDMI.

On top of that, HDMI is the vehicle for the utterly stupid and vicious HDCP, which means that on some level it's arguably about preventing the innocent from enjoying their fully-legitimate hardware and software. This, in fact, just bit me within the last few months when a 4k-capable receiver couldn't actually be used for 4k UHD discs because the HDCP version was too old, despite the fact that I was not in any way trying to violate any copyright(s) whatsoever.

And now we have an increasing risk of losing the joy of using a Surround Master because multichannel analog in is rapidly disappearing in favor of even more HDMI, with the HDMI Mafia demanding more extortion money than Involve Audio can afford to pay, even if they wanted to give in to an unreasonable demand.

So yes, I often refer to it as the Hate Defecation Murder Interface when I'm attempting to be polite and don't feel like it's a good place or time to call it "That fucking piece of god damned shit."

So yes, I often refer to it as the Hate Defecation Murder Interface when I'm attempting to be polite and don't feel like it's a good place or time to call it "That fucking piece of god damned shit."
Using Marantz and Denon gear combined with very inexpensive Monoprice Certified HDMI cables, I've had near zero issues over the last 15 or more years? Only when my system was hit by lightning last summer did I go thru a number of headaches. I've now got a Monoprice 50' active optical cable handling the Linux music-video to AVR chores that is working reliably.

I thought I was unlucky. Sheesh.

I have a nice thick 20 ft HDMI cable that has been stepped on, run over with the vacuum for years and it still works. Patched from my AVR to a TV.
Saying that, I have had to replace HDMI cables before. Usually because they were twisted and abused too much. Now I buy the sleeved ones, it prevents from being turned to odd angles somewhat and putting stress on those tiny wires.

But I can't imagine going back to the analog setup I had before, a veritable spaghetti of cables and switch boxes.
The only switchbox I use now is an HDMI switch for video because I have 2 pc's in the audio room.

From the very beginning the HDMI Forum should have standardised their feature-set requirements for each specification, instead of leaving it up to the adopters to include or exclude the features they wanted!

But what do you expect from an organisation that permitted manufacturers to come up with so many different names for something as basic as HDMI CEC?

From the very beginning the HDMI Forum should have standardised their feature-set requirements for each specification, instead of leaving it up to the adopters to include or exclude the features they wanted!

But what do you expect from an organisation that permitted manufacturers to come up with so many different names for something as basic as HDMI CEC?
A different group, but all the USB confusion. Don't like this name? Hell we'll change it! Problems solved. Why can't USB C just be USB C? Arrggh.

For what it is worth, I went the Sony X series BR/DVD/Universal reader route. A 700 in my case. I am really happy with the sound quality, it reads DVD-A, BR-A, SACD, Flac 5.1 even x265. So this a kind of swiss knife and I like the sound quality.

Last edited:
I’ve only had a few HDMI issues. I have a fairly long cable going from my pre-pro to my TV that occasionally glitches, but it’s not enough to make me re-pull it. I had a new cable fail about two weeks after I threaded it through my equipment stack. I bought a thin, flexible cable because of how many cables are going to the pre-pro, and it just quit working. The replacement still dangles in the front.

Going back a few years to the 4k revolution, there were a ton
of HDMI issues due to a lot of factors. Mostly due to the fact the
customers weren't totally informed on the gear and cabling requirements.
We hear much of the same today involving Atmos requirements.
I'd like to have a dollar for every post I made at AVS and elsewhere
recommending Monoprice 4/8K cables to fix the user problems. ;)
Many cables at the time were mis-represented as being compatible
and weren't, much more.
HDMI isn't without it's issues for sure, but many other things have contributed
to the headaches at a much higher level.

I've avoided HDMI like the black plague for years till Apple music...
Only used it for blu-ray to TV for watching occasional movie

Now pretty much forced although my Oppo still connected via analog for music to my old ass pioneer avr

Back