Does Sony UBP-X800M2 Play Multi-Channel FLAC Files Properly?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghalteman

Does the SONY UBP-X800M2 play all properly configured Multichannel FLAC files properly when output through the HDMI Connection of the SONY unit? Will it also play DTS Multichannel 5.1 WAV files also, like my Yamaha Blu-Ray Player does? I figured if so, with an HDMI to 5.1 Analog Converter in addition to this unit, that's as good as I'm going to do retrofitting a new unit into my old Yamaha 5.0 Receiver.

Last edited:
Has anyone tried playing Multichannel FLAC Files and Multichannel DTS WAV Files through the SONY UBP-X800M2 with success?

In the living room I have the 2017 version of the player (UBP-X800) connected to a Denon AVR-X2200. I discovered that the latter day chips in this Denon play 4.0 FLAC as front channels only. No issue with 5.0 or 5.1 files. The 4.0 FLACs play fine natively with my OPPO player and older Denon AVR-4310 system and Marantz 4140 via Oppo analog outputs. This change in chip decoding (not recognizing 4.0 properly anymore) has been discussed several times here in the past 2-3 years.

I'm in the middle of adding silent C/Sub channels to the FLAC files with Music Media Helper 5.0 and then the 4.0 FLAC file issue won't matter with the Sony UBP-X800/AVR-X2200 system. Bottom line, the Sony does fine with FLAC for me. It's the receiver decoding at issue. Your vintage Yamaha should not have the issue.

Did not test any DTS 5.1 files but I am thinking about adding my old DTS setup disc files on the hard drive to be handy.

Back