Dogs, Cats and SACDs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When my Mom passed in 2000 we inherited her two cats. So we already had a cat and a Boston Terrier that would join me during my listening sessions (small house anyway).
Never saw any negative reactions, but after a while I noticed the animals all gravitated to what I can only assume was their favorite listening positions. Basically every time I'd crank it for like a whole album, the animals did their little "favorite sitting" routine.
Strangely enough, I was the only one in the "sweet spot" for surround....at least for humans!

I have 3 dogs and they each react differently. Junebug only reacts to a few blu-rays. In particular she likes to bark during the Sony DTS Master Audio announcement where the notes go under water, and then again at the CBS logo. Whatever sets Junebug off, Daisy likes to join in. They both are sensitive to animal visuals as well as noises.

Casper, the smallest of the three, just wants to be there snoozing on his fortress of pillows at the end of the couch. This is where he goes to be safe from Daisy who is a puppy.

They are all indifferent to music, but if I listen too long and forget about Daisy’s two-hours-and-outside house training routine, she will sneak off and take a poop right behind the sweet spot. Which is where I sit. Daisy is the only one who adds to the listening experience, albeit in an olfactory sense.

it will all depend on the speakers and their real frequency response.
Most consumer speakers do not reach the higher register above 20-22K, but reference monitors do.
I know of an owner of three cats that SCRAMBLE as soon as he plays an SACD.. not so with DVDAs nor BDs....
(he's got some really cool studio monitors)

Lamar the cat really doesn't like any surround music that is super discreet. He gets a real worried look on his face, and flattens his ears...and eventually runs out of the room.
My cat listening to stereo. Not interested....

Attachments

• 12891.jpg
    12891.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 170
Back