Dolby Atmos® FAQ

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there a dedicated thread (that is current) on options (and how to set up) for accessing and properly listening to Atmos tracks via streaming? Wondering if there are now more viable options, that actually work well (Fire stick or whatever it's called, etc)
Apple Joining the Atmos streaming game! | QuadraphonicQuad Home Audio Forum

Suffice to say Gene it's the Apple 4k Box you need, connected to a suitable AVR.
Amazon.com: 2021 Apple TV HD (32GB, 5th Generation)

OK, thanks. I'm surprised that Roku hasn't jumped into this game.

i reckon before long 'everyone' will get in on it, they're probably just sitting it out to see how Atmos for music takes off.

so far the Apple TV 4K works well with both Apple Music & Tidal Hi-Fi.

wish there were more content and it were all a bit easier to find (especially on Apple Music) but its early days so i'm sure the bugs will be ironed out, including some of the Atmos selections on Tidal being at a noticeably lower level than others for some reason 🙂

i reckon before long 'everyone' will get in on it, they're probably just sitting it out to see how Atmos for music takes off.

wish there were more content and it were all a bit easier to find (especially on Apple Music) but its early days so i'm sure the bugs will be ironed out, including some of the Atmos selections on Tidal being at a noticeably lower level than others for some reason 🙂
Do the Atmos titles on Apple Music also suffer from the lower level issues?

There’s tons of content. Unfortunately, right now most of it is recently released hip hop and pop, and we all know our crowd tends to prefer music of a certain vintage.

But I believe slowly but surely we will see more of our old favorites popping up.

So Apple TV 4K allows Atmos streaming in full HD?

I wonder if Amazon will eventually open up its 3D files to streaming on devices other than one higher end Echo (Echo Studio).

My favorite music release in Atmos so far is Abbey Road.

The music release I most want to hear is King Crimson's Court of the Crimson King in Atmos. But it is part of a very expensive box.

I thought the Umbrella Academy has some terrific Atmos effects.

Has Disney created Atmos for any of the older Star Wars titles? The video has certainly been improved.

So Apple TV 4K allows Atmos streaming in full HD?

I wonder if Amazon will eventually open up its 3D files to streaming on devices other than one higher end Echo (Echo Studio).

My favorite music release in Atmos so far is Abbey Road.

The music release I most want to hear is King Crimson's Court of the Crimson King in Atmos. But it is part of a very expensive box.

I thought the Umbrella Academy has some terrific Atmos effects.

Has Disney created Atmos for any of the older Star Wars titles? The video has certainly been improved.
All the Star War films have Atmos on UHD discs, I don't know how it is for streaming.

I haven't tried any serious listening tests but the Apple Atmos streams sound pretty dang good to me. For music I really love I'll buy a hard copy in any case.
I have made critical comparisons using the reference album by Steven Wilson - The Future Bites, played from the BluRay release (full Dolby TrueHD Atmos) vs the same tracks on Apple Music (Dolby Digital+ Atmos) via an Apple TV 4K.
Comparisons were made on my dedicated home theater (5.4.4) and via a media room system (treated room) with 5.4.2 and via the Smyth Realiser A16 headphone processor.

First, no contest, the BluRay wins every time with greater dynamics & resolution, and to my ears, more positioning accuracy of objects.

That said, the Apple Music streams were not bad at all and sound great if you do not directly compare to a Bluray version. For much of the new music being released these days, I sure appreciate the opportunity to listen to it in immersive audio, and for most of it, that is all I need.
Sal, I agree, if it is very good stuff, I'll order the higher-res media.

First, no contest, the BluRay wins every time with greater dynamics & resolution, and to my ears, more positioning accuracy of objects.
Were you able to match the levels within 0.25 db and able to near instantly switch between sources, and do it blind?
Without such controls sighted listening is much to problematic.

Were you able to match the levels within 0.25 db and able to near instantly switch between sources, and do it blind?
Without such controls sighted listening is much to problematic.

Sometimes there is an obvious difference when the bitrate between two sources is so great. Are you so skeptical because you aren't hearing the difference with the same test?

An accurate ABX comparison can be done by using the front channels only, level-matched via Audacity, headphones, PC. In that way, it's easy to switch between sources and make sure the perceived loudness is the same across tracks. I haven't tried yet, but would like to do it for a couple of albums, such as Lean into It or Sgt Pepper (via Tidal).

Back