Dolby Atmos 7.2.2 vs 5.2.4

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi TR!

I was just looking at your photos. I don’t know if anyone has mentioned this but you need to have all loudspeakers pointing into the listening area. I’m not seeing this with your center and height speakers. :unsure:
He did say, back aways, that the picture doesn't capture the fact that his front heights are slightly pointed down towards the sweet spot.

Hi TR!

I was just looking at your photos. I don’t know if anyone has mentioned this but you need to have all loudspeakers pointing into the listening area. I’m not seeing this with your center and height speakers. :unsure:
They’re fine, heights are angled in to match the L and R, and tilted down towards the listener. Centre is also angled down towards the seating position, hard to tell from those photos for sure, so I’ll add these:

Attachments

• 88306D4D-6627-46EF-804F-07CA6BAB4849.jpeg
    88306D4D-6627-46EF-804F-07CA6BAB4849.jpeg
    186.5 KB · Views: 40
  • 48B8CE47-8E16-4327-8DE6-3248D55184D1.jpeg
    48B8CE47-8E16-4327-8DE6-3248D55184D1.jpeg
    96.3 KB · Views: 46
They’re fine, heights are angled in to match the L and R, and tilted down towards the listener. Centre is also angled down towards the seating position, hard to tell from those photos for sure, so I’ll add these:
That’s nice but they still look like they’re angled across the room. Not down to the listening position. But, whatever works for you! (y)

For me, the difference between x.x.2 and x.x.4 was more substantial in the AMTOS experience than was going from 5.x.x to 7.x.x for the surround experience.

The great thing with your receiver is that you can easily reassign the rear surrounds to rear ATMOS from the comfort of your chair and a good drink. This is an uncalibrated comparison but should provide some pretty good feedback.

OK, I'm switching to this thread. The system I use the most that I mentioned upthread is 5.2.2 with overhead heights. It's great for quad and 5.1. However, in addition I have a lesser speaker quality-wise 7.1 system that the has rears mounted just below the ceiling.( (It's more like 19' deep and 12' wide.) I'm thinking of converting the latter to Atmos with four ceiling speakers. Definitely need a new receiver (a Denon AVR-X3700H seems like the least expensive option) plus front heights. The question is this; should I just repurpose my rear surrounds as rear heights or try to have both? How important are rear surrounds is you have rear heights, or vice-versa for that matter? Obviously, I could hook them up both ways and see how much difference it makes. Probably what's going to happen.

Back