Dolby Atmos Ceiling Speakers

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those set ups make no sense if you also listen to 5.1 music.

The rears in the 5.1 facing each other? No beuno. Stereo imaging lost?
Your statement about the rears makes me wonder? I have my two rears facing each other. I wanted to put them slightly behind me, but I have the high back theater seats and the theater seats absorbed too much sound, so I brought them forward. Yes, not ideal but I have the left rear,(closest to my head at flat 0 reference), the right rear I have trimmed up 1.5 db and sounds super great with good stereo image in rears.
The reason I did not have a 3 seater, only me and wife #1, and due to the capabilities of trimming all speakers, I am very comfortable with sonic performance. I find my 4 height speakers are trimmed up 3db. I found that this works universally for all Neural and Atmos listening.
My situation is no different than every person on QQ, we all do the best we can given our situation. My room is 12' (TV wall) by 14'. If I was able to build an actual room, 14' X 18' would be nice. However, that likely will never happen. The three pictures make things a little smaller than they actually are.
This is a good picture that shows my right side heights in relation to my seating.
IMG_1008.jpg

This picture shows my rear left in relation to my seating.
IMG_0918.jpg

This picture shows my rear right, (farthest away from my head, turned up sometimes only .5db to at most 1.5db).
IMG_0917.jpg

Your statement about the rears makes me wonder? I have my two rears facing each other. I wanted to put them slightly behind me, but I have the high back theater seats and the theater seats absorbed too much sound, so I brought them forward. Yes, not ideal but I have the left rear,(closest to my head at flat 0 reference), the right rear I have trimmed up 1.5 db and sounds super great with good stereo image in rears.
The reason I did not have a 3 seater, only me and wife #1, and due to the capabilities of trimming all speakers, I am very comfortable with sonic performance. I find my 4 height speakers are trimmed up 3db. I found that this works universally for all Neural and Atmos listening.
My situation is no different than every person on QQ, we all do the best we can given our situation. My room is 12' (TV wall) by 14'. If I was able to build an actual room, 14' X 18' would be nice. However, that likely will never happen. The three pictures make things a little smaller than they actually are.
This is a good picture that shows my right side heights in relation to my seating.
View attachment 70177
This picture shows my rear left in relation to my seating.
View attachment 70178
This picture shows my rear right, (farthest away from my head, turned up sometimes only .5db to at most 1.5db).
View attachment 70179
Could you have them 2ft above seating area? The set up you have is how Dolby says it should be when Atmos is installed but I was thinking surely vocals will not sound in stereo with phantom center?

Could you have them 2ft above seating area? The set up you have is how Dolby says it should be when Atmos is installed but I was thinking surely vocals will not sound in stereo with phantom center?
No, my ceiling is 8'. Not sure what you mean? My center is handled by the 5.1 foundation, as it should be. Atmos artifacts are not meant to be locked in center, Atmos artifacts are meant to move around. Unless the person mixed with a dull Atmos effect and just left the listener with music that is a weak immersive Height effect.
Movies show this explicitly, like a plane firing overhead from rear right to front left, diagonally, never a stereo effect in heights.
The 5.1 foundation is paramount to a great Dolby Atmos experience. Without that foundation there is less of a chance with a Dolby Atmos experience to be heard at full potential.
Front view: Center speaker.
IMG_0999.jpg

Those set ups make no sense if you also listen to 5.1 music.

The rears in the 5.1 facing each other? No beuno. Stereo imaging lost?
In my setup the rears are also slightly behind my seat, but not much. I'm also planning to go with theatre seats and worry about those headrests, as Marpow suggests.

I find the surround "image" is typically set up in the LF/CC/RF array and the RF/RR, LF/LR pairs (the side images). Rarely in the LR/RR pairs. So I deem the side images much more important. Even so, I'll bet even with the rears directly to the sides, the image is perceived as being in the center rear.

Marpow, do you notice any difference in the rear heights when reclined or not? It looks like they would be behind your head when not reclining and when you do recline, it looks like they would be almost directly above your head. Yes?

In my setup the rears are also slightly behind my seat, but not much. I'm also planning to go with theatre seats and worry about those headrests, as Marpow suggests.

I find the surround "image" is typically set up in the LF/CC/RF array and the RF/RR, LF/LR pairs (the side images). Rarely in the LR/RR pairs. So I deem the side images much more important. Even so, I'll bet even with the rears directly to the sides, the image is perceived as being in the center rear.

Marpow, do you notice any difference in the rear heights when reclined or not? It looks like they would be behind your head when not reclining and when you do recline, it looks like they would be almost directly above your head. Yes?
Yes, Luv, there is a sweet spot that individually each of has to create.
My seats when upright, my speakers are slightly behind my ears, but as they produce wide sound, no big deal. When I recline the electric seat/s move forward with the foot rest and then back with the back/headrest, so that the end result fully reclined my ears are slightly in front of the tweeters. Not an issue as the wide sonic presence is working well as it should.
My height speakers are adjustable angled down and adjustable right and left so you can pin point the 4 tweeters right at your head.
My ceiling speakers are 8" B&W to match the others that I have, I forget the model #.
Here is the link to my Octane seats, not once ever any problems, all accessories are top notch, I upgraded to the full leather.
I purchased them from this store, they arrive in two boxes per seat so easy to get through your house to the room of your choice.

https://www.theaterseatstore.com/turbo-xl700

Aren't those high back theater seats are great for taking a nap? Anyway, I went through the same dilemma. I went from a low back couch to a high back double recliner at the urging of Mrs. Surround. These high back seats are problematic especially when the surrounds are floor standing tower speakers. My solution: One day I took my tools and Sawzall to that double recliner. The metal went to the recycle center and the rest to the curb.

I replaced it with a low back love seat. She picked the color.

Yes, Luv, there is a sweet spot that individually each of has to create.
My seats when upright, my speakers are slightly behind my ears, but as they produce wide sound, no big deal. When I recline the electric seat/s move forward with the foot rest and then back with the back/headrest, so that the end result fully reclined my ears are slightly in front of the tweeters. Not an issue as the wide sonic presence is working well as it should.
My height speakers are adjustable angled down and adjustable right and left so you can pin point the 4 tweeters right at your head.
My ceiling speakers are 8" B&W to match the others that I have, I forget the model #.
Here is the link to my Octane seats, not once ever any problems, all accessories are top notch, I upgraded to the full leather.
I purchased them from this store, they arrive in two boxes per seat so easy to get through your house to the room of your choice.

https://www.theaterseatstore.com/turbo-xl700
I have the same seats already, but in my bedroom. I love them. But like I've said before, the mechanism is so slow if a fire were to break out, we would surely burn up. ;)

Just showing off what the client called "The Sistine Chapel of ATMOS Ceilings":D, there are 4 pairs of Quested CX_12's with 12" woofers and Mundorf AMTs bi-amped.

Attachments

• IMG_0156.jpg
    IMG_0156.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_0157.jpg
    IMG_0157.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_0158.jpg
    IMG_0158.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0159.jpg
    IMG_0159.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_0160.jpg
    IMG_0160.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0161.jpg
    IMG_0161.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0162.jpg
    IMG_0162.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0163.jpg
    IMG_0163.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0164.jpg
    IMG_0164.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 72
Just showing off what the client called "The Sistine Chapel of ATMOS Ceilings":D, there are 4 pairs of Quested CX_12's with 12" woofers and Mundorf AMTs bi-amped.

That ceiling looks like a chain-link belt I had.

Another good resource guide is the surround suggestions from Wendy Carlos. I believe that depending on your personal room layout using the Dolby Atmos room guides and the Wendy Carlos surround examples can bring you to a good place.
Wendy Carlos Guide Dolby Atmos Speaker Guide
I strongly suggest room treatment panels, bass traps, absorbers, and diffusers. I used GIK Acoustics, very helpful and friendly personal.
GIK Acoustics
Remember, if you are new to this setup, even a veteran, it is wise to study, these tutorials, and map your layout with tape measure, pen and paper. Taking your time will be your best friend.

I've always found "Home Theater" seating to be VERY problematic due to the high seat backs. The designers/marketers must think we don't have surround speakers or simply copy what are in theaters...which have speakers vertically positioned far above what a residential environment is like. They think cup holders is da bomb!

I am outfitting my new music room presently, and looking at something like this (chairs, sofas, sectionals) that not only has a low back but, when reclined, provides neck support, etc.
1629295780947.png

I'll be installing SVS Prime Elevations for front and rear heights (need to determine final MLP), and may install more higher up rear (movie-only) speakers if I find the 100-110 degree large music surrounds too head blasting for anyone but the MLP. (current furniture in pic are irrelevant)
1629296147656.jpeg

1629296271821.jpeg

Give me a few days and I will share with you my entire Dolby atmos odyssey since the Gravity Premiere at the room they perfected Atmos at Dolby in 2013. With angles, the standard and the right ones, speaker bracket details, and yes low back chair headrest design considerations rabitthole, I spent many client millions to get this right.

No, my ceiling is 8'. Not sure what you mean? My center is handled by the 5.1 foundation, as it should be. Atmos artifacts are not meant to be locked in center, Atmos artifacts are meant to move around. Unless the person mixed with a dull Atmos effect and just left the listener with music that is a weak immersive Height effect.
Movies show this explicitly, like a plane firing overhead from rear right to front left, diagonally, never a stereo effect in heights.
The 5.1 foundation is paramount to a great Dolby Atmos experience. Without that foundation there is less of a chance with a Dolby Atmos experience to be heard at full potential.
Front view: Center speaker.
View attachment 70181

I mean when rear speakers have vocals and guitars there is a phatom center. I.E stereo imaging. Nothing to do with Atmos overheads.

Atmos channel bottom end is about 100hz. You have to dig for it in the atmos guidelines but is generally noted as "conforms to atmos guidelines".

Speaking of movies only Disney and Sony 1/3 of the time conform with this "stupid guideline" (yes I will present the case) most other movie studios run the tops wide open to the cinema mix, or 40hz +-.

Back