Dolby Atmos Forum Section - NOW OPEN

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Hey everyone. Since Atmos is now the big thing in the surround world, we have created a new forum section so those interested in Atmos can find all of the posts and info quickly and easily.

Garry (HomerJAU) has created an excellent FAQ for those of us with no clue so check it out. It might not be your cup of tea, but you should at least know a little about it so when things come up you're up to speed.

A huge thanks to Garry for doing that FAQ, it's a lot of work and I really appreciate everything he does around here. I would hope you all do to! :)

Thanks, Jon and Garry!

I wonder, though: should it be restricted to just Atmos, or should it include other "immersive" formats like DTS-X and Auro 3D?

On the docket - stay tuned, although Atmos is surely the most high profile of the three.

Somehow I've only just noticed that Atmos has been added to the QQ header...

I snuck that in there a few months ago. You're the first to notice.

Unfortunately DTS seem to have backed off on DTS:X music. There were a few DTS:X music videos on their official DTS Demonstration Discs released from 2015 to 2016 but nothing on the 2018 disc, just movie demos in DTS:X. Quite a few 4K UHD movies with DTS:X now and upcoming.

I’m still hoping DTS will come through with a new DTS:X music initiative, similar to the Dolby Atmos partnership with Universal Music. I’ve been very impressed with what I’ve heard.

Auro was first to release object based music quite a while back, 2015 I think it was. Mainly classical releases. I have two Auro discs but my AVR hasn’t got the Auro upgrade (paid) yet. There needs to be more releases to push me to do the upgrade. From various comments here the Auro upmixer seems to be preferred over others.

The other two current Life in Surround Atmos videos (for those interested - the other is in the FAQ thread):

Thank you for your videos. I know it's a lot of work to do what your doing, and it does provide additional information that's a fun easy way to learn when compared to simply reading about a certain multichannel release. You've given me a very nice way of getting the low down on the hoe down when it comes to new multichannel mixes of some of our favorite music.

About Atmos, I've recently did a audio upgrade and Atmos was going to be a big part of it, but I ended up doing so much more to my original setup (going from 5.1 to 7.1,) including replacing all the rear speakers with new ones, wiring in the walls, getting two new subs (to replace the one sub that stopped working a few years back,) along with a professional calibration. After all of that, it was too much to add those extra four in wall ceiling speakers I originally visioned.

Not to be a total bummer on Atmos, when I had all that in wall wiring work going on, I made sure that there were four additional pair of wires I had prewired that are specifically going to be used for in wall Atmos speakers...two above in front of my listening area, and two more above behind my listening area (they will of course be pointed towards the listening spot.) I plan on adding those Atmos speakers sometime during the first quarter of 2020.

So with that in mind, I am very interested in this new Beatles release. Of course I could get a really good idea on how the 5.1 version of it sounds, then of course once the new speakers are in place...well that's just going to be a lot of fun.

You mentioned this new Beatles Atmos release might be the software that gets people into Atmos. I see the point. Adult material got people buying into VHS machines, "Avatar" (2009) got people excited about buying 3-D TVs, and frankly speaking...I was not thinking of Atmos music as the reason to get Atmos. Buying into the full movie going experience is, and has been my original goal for adding Atmos (it still is.) However, since my audio upgrade I've been buying up quite a few 5.1 music titles and in addition started listening to the nice collection of 5.1 music mixes I originally bought in the early 2000s. Overall, I was not expecting my music listening experience to be improved on so much. I knew it would be better, but now I find if I'm going to be sitting down to listen to music; it most likely has to be high resolution from the best source with a multichannel remix if available.

There's a lot of movie reviewers out there, and there are those who review new musical releases, but not much in the way of multichannel musical reviews. Thanks again for the hard work you do providing us with your video reviews.

Hopefully this section will grow quickly! ABBEY ROAD should put some mileage on it :love:
FB_IMG_1442661074707.jpg

To hear one of the first (and best) examples of high-quality music to be given the full Dolby Atmos immersive/spatial treatment on a commercially released Bluray Audio (audio only) disc then Earth: One Amazing Day - The Immersive Experience remains the best place to start - especially given the 150 piece orchestra/choir and sounds of nature combined on a +74 channel mix at Abbey Road. The album certainly sets a high watermark in terms of state-of-the-art immersive Dolby Atmos audio/music - and worthy of debate. To add, the album holds the accolade for the world's first immersive music & effect album to be commercially released in both physical and digital formats.
EOADTIE - Key Art (low res).jpg

Link to EOADTIE Atmos BD on Amazon: click here

For those (many) who don't have a Dolby Atmos home sound system, there's a great immersive digital edition of the album (designed for headphones) also commercially available on Apple Music in a groundbreaking 29th Order encoded ambisonic binaural immersive mix. I strongly recommend A/B track-to-track comparison against the original soundtrack album by Alex Heffes from the feature film, even just for the psycho-acoustic experience demonstrating how much a great immersive spatial sound design/remix/remastering can substantially enhance what is already high-quality source music.
A. For the Immersive Binaural Edition: click here
B. For the OST Edition: click here

Last edited:
I have been setup for 7.1 lossless for years, and I tend to find that most Object based audio seems to sound more lively and impressive even when summed down. I can't wait to actually have true object-based audio! All I need is an Object capable receiver and some ceiling speakers. Seems like the best way would be outdoor speakers mounted on the ceiling instead of in-ceiling speakers.

To hear one of the first (and best) examples of high-quality music to be given the full Dolby Atmos immersive/spatial treatment on a commercially released Bluray Audio (audio only) disc then Earth: One Amazing Day - The Immersive Experience remains the best place to start - especially given the 150 piece orchestra/choir and sounds of nature combined on a +74 channel mix at Abbey Road. The album certainly sets a high watermark in terms of state-of-the-art immersive Dolby Atmos audio/music - and worthy of debate. To add, the album holds the accolade for the world's first immersive music & effect album to be commercially released in both physical and digital formats.
View attachment 42585
Link to EOADTIE Atmos BD on Amazon: click here

For those (many) who don't have a Dolby Atmos home sound system, there's a great immersive digital edition of the album (designed for headphones) also commercially available on Apple Music in a groundbreaking 29th Order encoded ambisonic binaural immersive mix. I strongly recommend A/B track-to-track comparison against the original soundtrack album by Alex Heffes from the feature film, even just for the psycho-acoustic experience demonstrating how much a great immersive spatial sound design/remix/remastering can substantially enhance what is already high-quality source music.
A. For the Immersive Binaural Edition: click here
B. For the OST Edition: click here

Thanks for the heads~up. Even though I'm not presently equipped for ATMOS, the Itune sound clips were enticement enough. Only $15.99 for a BD~A that runs 78 minutes.
71Z6tMZzIqL._SX522_.jpg

A positive review from an AmazonUS purchaser ......

Myles Connolly

5.0 out of 5 starsStunning audio experience
September 26, 2018

I've never heard anything quite like this. The quality, the sounds of nature, the brilliant music all work together to transport you to a place and rush of sensations like nothing before. This is my escape mechanism from the craziness of daily life, something I listen to to calm my brain and remind me of the healing powers of nature and music.

Last edited:
Back