Dolby Atmos: Has Anyone Experienced the Full Treatment?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eggplant

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Since 2002/2003
I must be getting old.

How else to explain a so-called lifelong surround fanatic who has yet to experience the ultimate surround experience of up to 160 channels?

Not to make excuses, but here's the reality:

1) Almost nothing I want to see is presented in Atmos.

It's not just that almost everything today is superhero sequels, it's that you have to choose between IMAX and Atmos. Apparently you can't have both, and I pick IMAX every time.

2) There are those dreaded words, "up to." As in, up to 160 channels. (Could be three.) This makes me think every theater will have a different setup, and many might be substandard. And if that one bad penny turns out to be my litmus test and it sucks, where would I be?

3) Ok, I'll say it: I expect to be disappointed. This shows just how badly I've aged. But most technical innovations turn out to be unimpressive, or worse -- marketing hype. Dolby has a pretty long and impressive track record in this regard, so I'm probably not giving it a fair shot.

I really do want to give it a full, fair audition. But not at the expense of IMAX, and not with Guardians of the Gorillas XIII. And at the best theater possible. Any suggestions? I live in Orange County, CA, just south of Los Angeles.

Then there's the home version of Atmos which, honestly, I'm not sure I even want to know about.

Just so I don't totally flush my surroundphile cred, I did get a 10.2 demo of a Herbie Hancock track at CES once, with a butterfly-like flute buzzing around and above. That was 2000, but still.

Last edited:
Then there's the home version of Atmos which, honestly, I'm not sure I even want to know about.

with artists like R.E.M and Hans Zimmer with Atmos BD discs why would you not to want even know about that?

You're setting up limitations and expectations before you even begin.

and I bet an Atmos version of Herbie's Watermelon Man (Head Hunters) would be Holy Grailish material IMO. :cool::alien::phones

I have to say I was pretty blown away by Dolby Atmos the first time I heard it. Went to see Baby Driver last year and man it was good! :cool:
The car chases, music, just the whole dynamic worked really well. How cool would an Atmos blu ray of the soundtrack be?!

I think you can find your nearest Atmos cinema here...

That's my issue with the whole home atmos thing too... too few releases that I'd actually listen to. And I don't buy movies to watch at all.

I've only heard it at the movies...very effective for weather effects (especially rain).

For music, I still have to be sold on it. Quad was always enough IMO.

Last edited:
Atmos is Awesome my friend, you need to check it out at whatever upscale theatre is near you right away. Can't help you as to where but you live in LA so a good theatre will not be hard to find. An action film should be your genre choice, Not a drama. You will not be disappointed. As for the home version, I heard it a bestbuy kiosk a few years back and for me it was to Film what dvd-audio was to music as I listened to it for the first time at a similar kiosk @20years ago. Outstanding.

since we're arguing I'd figure I'd also throw in DTS:X to the mix because IMO it's as good if not better than Dolby Atmos.

Let's face it, over the years, anything DTS has also sounded better than anything Dolby so why should this be any different?

The bottom line? It’s all about installing and using more loudspeakers. Whether you’re willing to do that is your call. It’s not about just Dolby Atmos. I’ve had success while using DTS: X, Auro-3D upmixer (no film or music titles with the actual codec as of yet), Dolby Surround and DTS:X Neural. So far, I prefer Auro-3D for upmixing and Dolby Atmos plus DTS: X for movies encoded in those formats. The word on the street is that Auro is the best and real thing. Meaning, it’s real object based compared to Atmos or DTS: X. Though, I have no opinion because I have yet to hear it. I’m glad I upgraded cause, at one point, I almost shit canned everything and was going to return to two speakers only.

Back on June 1st, I went to hear SGT PEPPER in SF played in Atmos. It was great but really loud so it lessened the effects. But Wow was what I heard amazing especially She's Leaving Home and Getting Better.

Back on June 1st, I went to hear SGT PEPPER in SF played in Atmos. It was great but really loud so it lessened the effects. But Wow was what I heard amazing especially She's Leaving Home and Getting Better.

The Sgt Pepper Blu-Ray is Atmos?
Or was that a special presentation?

The bottom line? It’s all about installing and using more loudspeakers. Whether you’re willing to do that is your call. It’s not about just Dolby Atmos. I’ve had success while using DTS: X, Auro-3D upmixer (no film or music titles with the actual codec as of yet), Dolby Surround and DTS:X Neural. So far, I prefer Auro-3D for upmixing and Dolby Atmos plus DTS: X for movies encoded in those formats. The word on the street is that Auro is the best and real thing. Meaning, it’s real object based compared to Atmos or DTS: X. Though, I have no opinion because I have yet to hear it. I’m glad I upgraded cause, at one point, I almost shit canned everything and was going to return to two speakers only.
Not massively used, but they are quite a few movies and music released in Auro, you have the full list on Auro's web site.
Get Aelita by Mando Diao or Litchmond 3. They have both amazing mixes in 9.1

I see no thester there.
(Look again.)

Does anyone remember Fester Bestertester?

Talked to the manager of the Century 21 Bella Terra about Auro.

Me: I hear you have Auro.
Mgr: In our XD theaters, yes. We have two.
Me: So you have the ceilng speakers?
Mgr: [hesitates] Yes.
Me: [skeptical now] You sure? [Miming theater speakers up high with hands]
Mgr: Yes. [About 50% sure he's not just saying whatever I want to hear]
Me: You understand that to experience Auro, the film must have been specifically mixed and mastered in Auro.
[Wanting to say "print" but there are no prints anymore, yet realizing what I said wasn't really correct either]
Mgr: Yes
Me: And just because a film was originally mixed for Auro does not guarantee that your presentation will be in Auro?
Mgr: Yes
Me: How do I find out if a film you are showing is presented in Auro? I hope you understand it's impossiible to know in which auditorium a film is showing.
Mgr: It will say XD in our listings.
Me: But that just means it's showing in one of your XD auditoriums. That doesn't mean it's Auro or even that it's XD. So how do I find out?
Mgr: You can call us.
Me: You never answer the phone. I just get a phone tree.
Mgr: We do sometimes answer the phone if we're not busy.
Me: Guess you're always busy when I call. Even if I get someone, they likely won't know anything.
Mgr: They can ask someone.
Me: Someone?
Mgr: A manager.
Me: Like you?
Mgr: Yes.
Me: Would you know?
Mgr: [hesitates] I could look at the bookings. [Mimes paging through imaginary book]
Me: Bookings? Is that like a physical book?
Mgr: Yes, it's ...

Sigh.
Like so many things now, this sounds more like a job than entertainment.

Last edited:
Back