Dolby Atmos: Has Anyone Experienced the Full Treatment?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No real insights follow below, just some musings.

I just upgraded to a 7.1.4 system with a new Marantz AV 7704. Soooo many options here to consider when doing this. I have four height speakers (no room for the Auro 3D VOG center speaker). My Marantz allows a sorta compromise speaker configuration for Auro/Atmos/DTS X, but it isn't ideal for all of them. For example, the Auro 3D plays through all speakers but the surround backs, while the others play through all speakers. THEN, we get to play with Audyssey Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume. These have impacts on how robust the surrounds all sound. I may be dialing all this in for weeks!

Having said that, I am slowly acquiring all the recommended discs for these various surround modes (I think I need a glossary to know what to call all these modes/systems/technologies). I certainly noticed that INXS KICK sounded soooo much better with a full Atmos system than it did with only a 5.1 mix. I listen to a lot of tunes on my music server, and very mixed results here running them through the various Dolby Surround/DTS Neural X/Auro-3D systems. Some modes sound great on certain tunes, some sound pretty messy.

Back