• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

Dolby Atmos Music on Blu-ray

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

tcdriver

Since 2002/2003
Imagine my surprise when I read the advertisement for a Blu-ray music disc in Dolby Atmos in the April 2017 issue of BBC Music magazine. This could be the beginning of something good. I have yet to hear Dolby Atmos, but, I sure would like to hear this. Is this a first?

Link to disc. https://lsolive.lso.co.uk/products/ades-polaris-tevot-asyla-brahms

Spock

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star

Kal Rubinson

I have some of those but they do not warrant setting up ATMOS for them. Far short of critical mass.

tcdriver

Since 2002/2003

Kal Rubinson

Thank you for the links. (y)

It was interesting to see the microphone tree in the short video of REFLECTIONS.

Thank you for the reply. Which of the Atmos discs you have are most musically interesting?
I love REFLECTIONS but I have not gotten around to playing the Ades disc yet. However, I have heard none of them in ATMOS because I run only 5.1

holland123

I wish I could get and set up an atmos system because music encoded for that would truly be awesome. I am sure the previously mentioned disc is nothing short of awe inspiring. But the reality of the setup is so intense that it requires remodeling, and I still field occasional complaints from my wife for our 5.1 in the living room. I would never get her to concede to an atmos remodel. I did get a chance to audition atmos at the best buy store once. Kinda reminded me of the dvd-audio kiosk from years ago. It was mind blowing. Not practical for most of us but if set up right it would be quite excellent. I wish

anandchristi

i haven't had any chance to listen to Dolby Atmos only music discs, however recently tried the ROGER WATERS - THE WALL LIVE Bluray Video on Atmos. It was a really amazing experience, especially with the helicopters and planes flying over your head. I highly recommend this disc for the utmost Atmos experience.

Spock

I have two Dolby Atmos discs that are studio mixed and that use the height speakers to place and move instruments above the horizontal plane (not just ambience):

Earlier mentioned Luca Turilli's Rhapsody - Prometheus - The Dolby ATMOS Experience

and

Litchmond - The Journey

The listening experience is something special. Like with movies, you detect the Atmos soundtrack immediately, not just sounds from above - but the "soundstage" is much bigger and more powerful. Like my preopro/amp ate some spinach.

Hope there are many studio-mixed albums with Atmos to come - with creative people behind the controls.

leevitalone1

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Very interesting indeed we can't even year what we all want 5.1. As for me I'm going to stick with 5.1 for a very long time. I often rent movies the Redbox I've only noticed one or two in that format. Seems to me there should be some point where are there becomes a standard which will never happen because the technology of electronic components and software continue to improve.

Sent from my VS425PP using Tapatalk

Spock

Very interesting indeed we can't even year what we all want 5.1. As for me I'm going to stick with 5.1 for a very long time. I often rent movies the Redbox I've only noticed one or two in that format. Seems to me there should be some point where are there becomes a standard which will never happen because the technology of electronic components and software continue to improve.

Sent from my VS425PP using Tapatalk
For sure not all movies come with Atmos, but there are more and more coming - for now, I hope it continuous.

But another nice thing about having a Atmos setup - is that the Atmos receivers have dsp's (DSU & Neural:X etc.) that engage/upmixes to the Atmos speakers - from 2.0, 4.0 or 5.1 to 7.1.4 or whatever your source/setup is. The same way that you use DPLII with stereo music to create 5.1 surround. And it works really great - I use it all the time - with both music and movies.

Spock

Found this on Ebay:

Ambra - Prism of Life - Onkyo&Atmos Edition.

I have the standard 7.1 Prism of Life version too - but this Atmos version is a lot more fun.

holland123

Hey all, just curious to know if anyone has tried or listened to the atmos system where you don't actually have the overhead speakers mounted in the ceiling but they are somehow directional and pointed at the ceiling to give the overhead channels? I've been wondering if it is nearly as satisfying?

anandchristi

haikubass

Adding several more:

Released by Auro-3D Creative Label:
David Miles Huber Gamma
3D-sound format:
- 9.1 Auro-3D 96kHz
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/David-Miles-Huber-GAMmA-Blu-ray/177192

Released by AURO Technologies:
AURO-3D Demonstration Disc Vol. 2 Various Artists
3D-sound format:
- 9.1 Auro-3D
http://www.demo-world.eu/2017/06/13/auro-3d-demonstration-disc-vol-2

Released by Dolby Laboratories Inc.:
Dolby Atmos Blu-Ray Demo Disc (Sep 2016) Various Artists
3D-sound format:
- Dolby Atmos
http://www.demo-world.eu/2016/11/22/dolby-atmos-blu-ray-demo-disc-sep-2016

Released by WLC Enterprises:
Ambra – Prism Of Life
3D-sound format:
- Dolby Atmos
http://wlc.enterprises/portfolio/ambra-prismoflife

Released by Gentle Art Of Music:
RPWL A New Dawn
3D-sound format:
- Dolby Atmos
https://www.gentleartofmusic.com/shop/rpwl-a-new-dawn-bluray-digipak

ubertrout

For those interested, the 2L BD-Audio Souvenir is absolutely wonderful too - I've only listened in 7.1 but it sounds amazing, and Tchaikovsky's Souvenir de Florence has long been a favorite piece. I imagine in 9.1 the sense of being inside the music would be even greater.

Group builder