Dolby Atmos Music on Blu-ray

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oh shoot, yes I'm sorry. I shouldn't have posted that in this Atmos thread. Please delete, mods.
Agreed on the spoken word too. It would be nice if it included a instrumental version.

The Perry Farrell album Kind Heaven, already mixed in Atmos, is going to be released as a part of the box set The Glitz; The Glamour on November 6th. Direct pre-order link is already here, the boxset will be strictly limited to just 3,000 units, exclusively numbered. Credit for the info goes to this article:
https://exclaim.ca/music/article/perry_farrell_to_explore_the_glitz_the_glamour_with_new_box_set
TheGlitz_TheGlamourBoxset_1024x1024@2x.jpg

What is up with the occult imagaery? Brotherhood of the snake, all seeing eye. Not cool bro.

What is up with the occult imagaery? Brotherhood of the snake, all seeing eye. Not cool bro.

I could definitely see Perry joining the Freemason's back in the day. Funny thing is he was the total opposite when he started Psi Com and Jane's but has just gone off the tracks for the last 30 years.

This box set is the exact opposite of what everyone wants to hear, they want Jane's and P4P in surround, not Perry's scatterbrain solo stuff (some of which is cool like Woman in the Window and Revolution Solution) but those tracks are few and far between.

pretty sure I've seen this image on Song yet to be Sung

Eye_of_Horus_Right.svg

Last edited:
Album of the Day on Bandcamp a year or so ago:
https://daily.bandcamp.com/album-of-the-day/album-of-the-day-la-dispute-panorama
Hardcore/post-hardcore is not exactly my cuppa, and I think I'm too old for "the emo equivalent of spoken word—slam poetry at its most sullen." But I'll still get behind indie musicians in any genre who are taking the trouble to remix their work for surround. (Just to clarify, though: it looks like 5.1 but not Atmos on this Blu-Ray.)

Finally got around to pre-ordering today. I was even more motivated after reading about them on Wikipedia: not only are they from my native state, but they're civic-minded:

"The band often works with charitable organisations internationally. This includes Wellhouse and 826 National in Michigan, Teenage Cancer Trust in the UK and Headspace in Australia. Every year on Christmas Day the band makes their entire catalogue of music available for free and asks for donations to a charity of their choosing."​

I've come across this nice article on current state of surround music (plus why a Dolby Atmos mix of the album The Twelfth of Never by Toronto-based world jazz group Manteca probably won't make it to physical media.
https://wifihifi.com/will-surround-music-ever-be-mainstream
An enjoyable read, thanks for sharing. I didn’t see anything about availability for purchase as a download. 🤔

Call me a foolish optimist but I still believe that there’s a chance that we’ll eventually see Sgt. Pepper in Atmos available for purchase. Giles and company, after all, already did the heavy lifting, plus Abbey Road in Atmos is already out there and with glowing reviews.

Last edited:
Regarding the Sgt. Pepper Atmos, is that available to stream on Amazon or TIDAL?
I saw this note on website PocketLink: "You can hear the Dolby Atmos mix with Amazon Music HD on Echo Studio, although it will come to other devices and services soon."

Regarding the Sgt. Pepper Atmos, is that available to stream on Amazon or TIDAL?
I saw this note on website PocketLink: "You can hear the Dolby Atmos mix with Amazon Music HD on Echo Studio, although it will come to other devices and services soon."

Huh--well that's encouraging. Not on Tidal yet, though, AFAIK. Amazon may have an exclusive so far.

Here's a new blu-ray audio release with both Dolby Atmos and Auro-3D formats:
US Army Jazz Ambassadors play Sammy Nestico - The Sammy Sessions

This was engineered & mixed by Jim Anderson and Ulrike Schwarz--a team with a long history in the industry that includes some top-shelf surround mixes. (Anderson's 5.1 mixes of Jane Ira Bloom and Patricia Barber's latest albums recently showed up exclusively at NativeDSD.)

You can buy the recording--along with some others they've worked on--from their website, and you can preview much of the album in stereo on Soundcloud. Old-school, middle-of-the-road big band, impeccably recorded. (At Skywalker Sound in Marin, I think.) Nestico is a prolific and influential composer-arranger. Incredibly, he's still kicking at age 96. I remember playing charts of his in high-school jazz band forty-odd years ago, and thinking then that he was some old dude...!

Last edited:
The Perry Farrell album Kind Heaven, already mixed in Atmos, is going to be released as a part of the box set The Glitz; The Glamour on November 6th. Direct pre-order link is already here, the boxset will be strictly limited to just 3,000 units, exclusively numbered. Credit for the info goes to this article:
https://exclaim.ca/music/article/perry_farrell_to_explore_the_glitz_the_glamour_with_new_box_set
TheGlitz_TheGlamourBoxset_1024x1024@2x.jpg

Thankfully, there is now a less expensive version of the box set to report, courtesy of amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Glitz-Glamour-Perry-Farrell/dp/B08KQSFZJ3/
:)

I have Booka Shade - Dear Future Self in Atmos and it's jaw dropping in terms of imaging. I'd personally prefer more of a song than conventional techno/house (ala Delerium) , but the crazy good imaging makes it infinitely more interesting than it would have been in stereo or even 5.1.

Sounds literally come from every nook and cranny in my 12'x25' room using 17.1 speakers (essentially 7.1.6 plus two sets of matrixed and arrayed speakers for three rows of seating, giving three different perspectives in a 11.1.6 configuration).

That's basically 7.1 with front wides and surround#1 added (former on side wall in front of the first row ~20% into room (ideal would be 25%, but seating interferes) and latter between side surround and rear surround ~75% into the room. Overhead speakers consist of front and rear heights mounted at or on the ceiling at 0% and 100% into the room with top middle at 50% into the room. This gives edge to edge coverage above and below.

I have Lichtmond 4 - The Journey in 3D visuals + Dolby Atmos and it's almost as impressive in imaging terms with instruments and vocals that surround you and even move in circles around the room at times like a clock (Lichtmond 3 - Days of Eternity also does this with Auro-3D instead like the clocks you see on screen). Their music is a bit like Enigma or Delerium meets Pink Floyd.

Clearly, Atmos is ideal for all forms of electronica types of music or something like Pink Floyd, being able to literally surround you with sounds. However, even classical and jazz can benefit from room reflection ambience recorded with something like the dual quad microphones used by the Auro-3D music recordings. You really feel like you're at the actual venue rather than in your home theater room (I think a deadened room works best as it lets the speakers better recreate the original venue instead of mixing it with your own room acoustics). I really felt like I was in the church with the Toccata and Fugue demo, for example (comes with Auro's first demo disc; There's an abridged version on streaming demos you can find online).

Mando Diao's Aelita album is also awesome in Auro-3D using discrete imaging mixed with ambience at different height levels to envelop you (less crazy imaging than Booka Shade or Lichtmond, but far more than just ambience.

Really it's a shame there isn't more content for immersive formats (I don't think I've seen any real DTS:X music offerings yet at all, even though I own 40 movies in DTS:X). I think part if the problem is getting more people to do an Atmos/X or Auro-3D setup. Most still don't even have 5.1 for movies let alone a quality Atmos type setup with speakers of really competent music quality. I went with PSB speakers as they are extremely neutral with +/- 1.5 dB frequency response (I get right about +/- 3dB overall room response with REW for the MLP with +/- 2dB for bass and much of the midrange, which is excellent, IMO). I find myself listening to music in my home theater a lot more often, even in stereo (upstairs system uses Carver AL-III 6' tall dipole ribbon speakers with custom active crossovers and 2x Carver 350W amps and a Carver C-5 Sonic Holography preamp so I'm used to pretty good stereo sound).

Back