Dolby Atmos Music on Blu-ray

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Atmos sound package
Yep, that was the key for me here, maybe my naming thru you off.
I guess the official name is Dolby Access Package.
After I installed it and followed the setup from the below site I'm finally getting my Marantz to lightup with Atmos, Yipeeee

Now if I could only get things going in Linux, that's where I live.

My two Linux Intel NUCs (LibreElec) both play Atmos with Kodi with only Kodi audio settings set with HDMI Passthrough enabled and Settings for AVR can play TrueHD set to true in Kodi too.

Humm, I don't seem to have the TrueHD option in Kodi ?

Screenshot at 2021-04-03 20-27-00.png

You said you're using a PC as a KODI playback device?
Yes, this one is a PC I built some years back. I currently boot about 8 OS's on this box, I have about 6 Linux installs, a Windoz XP and Windoz 10 install.
The screenshot of Kodi I posted above is from the PCLinuxOS partition that is my main day-day workstation.
What version of Kodi are you gents on?
I'm on 18-9 and may have to request an update from the developers to our repos's

Yes, this one is a PC I built some years back. I currently boot about 8 OS's on this box, I have about 6 Linux installs, a Windoz XP and Windoz 10 install.
The screenshot of Kodi I posted above is from the PCLinuxOS partition that is my main day-day workstation.
What version of Kodi are you gents on?
I'm on 18-9 and may have to request an update from the developers to our repos's

I was using KODI 18.9 until yesterday when I upgraded my NVidia Shield to 19.0 Matrix.

I believe I found one on the 220 Electronics site that is perhaps a regionless version of it or similar for around $360. I'm thinking about it. I rarely use discs anymore since I dump and convert if necessary to put them on my whole house server, but it would still be nice to have just in case.
I have one,and it's a nice player.I have it my music/film room for UHD and BD.
Don't need regionless as UHD has no regions.Have an Oppo 105 for all music disc's.

I have one,and it's a nice player.I have it my music/film room for UHD and BD.
Don't need regionless as UHD has no regions. Have an Oppo 105 for all music disc's.

That's great, but like I said I want only one player in my theater room (no room for two and I barely use discs as it is). Currently I have a LG UHD player with 3D support. It's fine, but it's neither regionless nor does it play SACD.

Meanwhile, it seems after trying a 4.0 channel SACD ISO, KODI cannot handle 4.0 discs properly with the SACD plugin. 5.1 worked fine, but 4.0 shows up as 2.0 for some reason. Disappointing.

Last edited:
Was perusing the Elusive Disc website and came across this NEWLY RELEASED Dolby Atmos release from singing sensation LYN STANLEY

https://elusivedisc.com/lyn-stanley-live-at-studio-a-2blu-ray-disc/
Lyn Stanley Live At Studio A 2Blu-Ray Disc

edit: Just placed order with Elusive Disc. The Blu Ray edition contains 2 discs: 1 BD~A with complete performance in ATMOS, 5.1/Stereo and a BD~V of the LIVE performance.

Last edited:
Still working on the Linux-Atmos problem but as I mentioned I do have Atmos working in Win10.
In any case I do owe a big thanks to MagnumX and HomerJAU for all the assistance lent..
Like all other propblems, I'll keep at it till I kick it's butt, it's only a matter of time.
;)

I believe I found one on the 220 Electronics site that is perhaps a regionless version of it or similar for around $360. I'm thinking about it. I rarely use discs anymore since I dump and convert if necessary to put them on my whole house server, but it would still be nice to have just in case.

If you're planning on getting into 4k, I don't believe it's possible to "dump and convert." What I've read is there are no computer drives capable of UHD playback. I think it's disc-only for 4K.

I have a Sony UBP 800x-M2 and I like it very much. Got more as a backup universal player, since SACD, DVD-A capable players may not be made in the near future. The UHD function was just a bonus. There's been reports of problems with some of these players freezing on 4K discs (the 700X and the 800X moreso than the 800X M2, though some reports on those too), but mine has been pretty much problem free.

Just be aware that UHD discs are very finicky; the extreme closeness of the grooves needed for UHD discs makes them very susceptible to read errors. Anything on the disc can make it unreadable and there seems to be a higher percentage of new discs that can't be read. I got a set of all Harry Potter movies and 2 of the 8 UHD discs wouldn't play. Also had to return an Ex Machina UHD disc. And I haven't bought that many discs- around 25 total.

Still working on the Linux-Atmos problem but as I mentioned I do have Atmos working in Win10.
In any case I do owe a big thanks to MagnumX and HomerJAU for all the assistance lent..
Like all other propblems, I'll keep at it till I kick it's butt, it's only a matter of time.
;)
wOOt Linux plays Atmos.
Maybe it was just a brain block here but the issue was my Kodi refused to recognize mkv files a Music file.
I decided to load them as Movie's and all is well in the Atmos world. DUH
Thanks again for everyone's help!

If you're planning on getting into 4k, I don't believe it's possible to "dump and convert." What I've read is there are no computer drives capable of UHD playback. I think it's disc-only for 4K.

I've got a LG BD computer drive right here on my Mac that can dump 4K discs no problem with MakeMKV. It's not capable of "playing" them directly, but that's not what I got it for. I can rip the disc to MKV and then play with my Zidoo X9S or KODI on my Shield or even just grab the Atmos soundtrack and remux it with the 2K version or a 3D dump.

Just be aware that UHD discs are very finicky; the extreme closeness of the grooves needed for UHD discs makes them very susceptible to read errors. Anything on the disc can make it unreadable and there seems to be a higher percentage of new discs that can't be read. I got a set of all Harry Potter movies and 2 of the 8 UHD discs wouldn't play. Also had to return an Ex Machina UHD disc. And I haven't bought that many discs- around 25 total.

All the more reason to dump them while they're good, IMO.

I've got a LG BD computer drive right here on my Mac that can dump 4K discs no problem with MakeMKV. It's not capable of "playing" them directly, but that's not what I got it for. I can rip the disc to MKV and then play with my Zidoo X9S or KODI on my Shield or even just grab the Atmos soundtrack and remux it with the 2K version or a 3D dump.

Glad to hear that. I was just going by what I'd read over at blu-ray.com. Checking it now it seems they are saying that going forward there will be nothing compatible because of changes Intel is making in their new processors. Good you're already set to go.

And yes, the problems with UHD discs is even more reason to rip and play.

Let me know if you have any questions about the 800X M2. It's solidly built and they save money by forgoing any analog sections- as well as no front panel display. One drawback that is more of an annoyance than a dealbreaker is there's no auto-detection of DV. You have to turn DV on for discs encoded with it or they play back as HDR10. If you leave DV on, then it plays back anything as if it was DV.

Not sure how that might affect playing mkv's. Also, IIRC, there are problems playing back Atmos/TruHD audio from MKV's. I think they need to be formatted as mts. Also MKVs have an ugly font for subtitles that mts improves on.

Glad to hear that. I was just going by what I'd read over at blu-ray.com. Checking it now it seems they are saying that going forward there will be nothing compatible because of changes Intel is making in their new processors. Good you're already set to go.

I sometimes think Intel wants to hand the market to AMD and Apple with some of the decisions they make. But the drives in question are a matter of having the right firmware (newer firmware doesn't work; but many drives can be flashed to run other firmware; my drive thinks its an Asus drive even though it's LG, for example).

And yes, the problems with UHD discs is even more reason to rip and play.

There most likely won't be a physical format for 8K. Everything will become digital files from the Net and the Net is the new nanny. But then who really needs 8K anyway?

Not sure how that might affect playing mkv's. Also, IIRC, there are problems playing back Atmos/TruHD audio from MKV's. I think they need to be formatted as mts. Also MKVs have an ugly font for subtitles that mts improves on.

Atmos plays perfectly fine from MKVs with KODI here (Actually, it now works fine from VLC as well). Even M4V can do Atmos with DD+ and MAT.

I was referring to what I've heard the 800X M2 does. If you've got another solution it's a moot point.

OK. I was talking about dumping to a hard drive and playing with a media player. If I wanted to play off a disc player, I'd have to burn it to the disc format using software that can do that.

OK. I was talking about dumping to a hard drive and playing with a media player. If I wanted to play off a disc player, I'd have to burn it to the disc format using software that can do that.

And I was talking about using the 800X as a media player. It has those kinds of functions- like an Oppo, though not as versatile.

Back