Dolby Atmos Releases (so far)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just dropping this here, in case anybody is interested:

Music in Atmos - Worst to Best

Albums discussed:
Sgt Pepper's - The Beatles
Live in Madrid - Michael Schenker's Temple of Rock
The Dolby Atmos Experience - Luca Turilli's Rhapsody
RPWL - A New Dawn
Hans Zimmer - Live in Prague
Roger Waters - The Wall Live
Metallica - Through the Never
INXS - Kick 30th Anniversary
Kraftwerk - Numbers (The Catalogue)
R.E.M. Automatic for the People (AFtP)

More info, including links to Atmos music lists, in video description.

Yes, but I had to lie to my Denon x6400H to get Atmos and Auro-3D to both properly playback. I did a set-up Atmos/Auro-3D Compatibility video on the Life in Surround channel.
I also discuss it in a video coming out really soon... ;)
As Gene (GOS), I have the Denon X4400H and don’t have to lie to it. I just tell it who’s boss and that I wear the pants in the family.

But seriously, maybe I’m confused regarding what you’re trying to accomplish with your speaker setup. If I tell the AVR my exact speaker arrangement, it configures it that way. Maybe, you’re saying you have it set up for 4 ceiling speakers and are trying to get Auro-3D too? Or, I missed that...LOL.

Po
As Gene (GOS), I have the Denon X4400H and don’t have to lie to it. I just tell it who’s boss and that I wear the pants in the family.

But seriously, maybe I’m confused regarding what you’re trying to accomplish with your speaker setup. If I tell the AVR my exact speaker arrangement, it configures it that way. Maybe, you’re saying you have it set up for 4 ceiling speakers and are trying to get Auro-3D too? Or, I missed that...LOL.
Possibly a lengthy explanation here, which is why I made a video! To try to keep it brief, Atmos will not accept an Auro-spec speaker layout, i.e. surround heights, as opposed to rear heights. It will not send sound to surround heights even if wired and they are aknowlegded in setup, etc. I wondered why this was happening for months, until someone tipped me off to the trick. You tell the receiver you have rear heights and both Auro and Atmos are happy.

Possibly a lengthy explanation here, which is why I made a video! To try to keep it brief, Atmos will not accept an Auro-spec speaker layout, i.e. surround heights, as opposed to rear heights. It will not send sound to surround heights even if wired and they are aknowlegded in setup, etc. I wondered why this was happening for months, until someone tipped me off to the trick. You tell the receiver you have rear heights and both Auro and Atmos are happy.
Okay. I tell my AVR that I’m using Front Height and Side Height, which is true, and all is well. Fortunately, I haven’t tried all configurations, just some. o_O

Not sure what side height means, but glad it's working.
I never got sound from Atmos sources from my surround heights while the receiver had them configured as such (though, FWIW I wasn't sure for a while and had to confirm with a step ladder). Not even from a source that claimed to be 11.1 Atmos, which I thought surely must work. Nope.
Meanwhile, Auro-3D played all it's specified channels, 5.2 down below and the 4 heights above.
I saw a video for a similar Denon model on YouTube pointing out the problem and finally interpreted the manual's obtuse language. It does say that Atmos and Auro are incompatible, just not what to do about it.
Now, I get 7.2.4 from Atmos sources and 5.2.4 from Auro-3D, as it should be.

Side Height is located above your Side Surround speaker.
3C84A1A9-B7D1-4305-8E46-051C9D6D350F.png

Side Height is located above your Side Surround speaker.
View attachment 41273
I see. I think that is what I refer to as simply the surrounds and surround heights, at around 110° (as opposed to rears and rear heights, which are much further back).
All I can tell you is that the manual says this isn't possible, for at least two 3D surround models and I have rather laboriously verified it on the 6400. Not absolutely sure about the 4400, but I suspect they're designed the same in this respect.

I see. I think that is what I refer to as simply the surrounds and surround heights, at around 110° (as opposed to rears and rear heights, which are much further back).
All I can tell you is that the manual says this isn't possible, for at least two 3D surround models and I have rather laboriously verified it on the 6400. Not absolutely sure about the 4400, but I suspect they're designed the same in this respect.
You’d think so but I have zero problems getting either Dolby Atmos or Auro-3D.

You guys make the set-up sound so easy... I'm sure Atmos will be in every home!
On a more positive note, my Denon Atmos/Auro-3D Compatibility video is Life in Surround's most viewed video by DOUBLE. Over 3000 views.
2nd place is the Alan Parsons The Secret video, then The White album and the number fall steeply from there.

Just dropping this here, in case anybody is interested:

Music in Atmos - Worst to Best

Albums discussed:
Sgt Pepper's - The Beatles
Live in Madrid - Michael Schenker's Temple of Rock
The Dolby Atmos Experience - Luca Turilli's Rhapsody
RPWL - A New Dawn
Hans Zimmer - Live in Prague
Roger Waters - The Wall Live
Metallica - Through the Never
INXS - Kick 30th Anniversary
Kraftwerk - Numbers (The Catalogue)
R.E.M. Automatic for the People (AFtP)

More info, including links to Atmos music lists, in video description.

Unfortunately I don't often get the time to watch your videos Mike....
That needs to change asap
This video completely agrees with my views, on the discs you have discussed
I have them all except the REM one... I hesitated on it, as I own the DVD Audio release.
Your style and explanation is very easy to watch and informative.
I am a huge fan of the Atmos concept and I have a 7.1.4 set up.
I can only reiterate how an Atmos system breathes new life into this surround music hobby.
Come on Giles..get that that Sgt Pepper released in Atmos!!

Unfortunately I don't often get the time to watch your videos Mike....
That needs to change asap
This video completely agrees with my views, on the discs you have discussed
I have them all except the REM one... I hesitated on it, as I own the DVD Audio release.
Your style and explanation is very easy to watch and informative.
I am a huge fan of the Amos concept and I have a 7.1.4 set up.
I can only reiterate how an Atmos system breathes new life into this surround music hobby.
Come on Giles..get that that Sgt Pepper released in Atmos!!
Is there still a deal over at amazon.de for AFtP?

Back