Dolby Pro Logic II-Is it really that much better?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texquad

400 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
I just picked up a SACD player to go along with my DVD-A.
Now I need a receiver that has dual analogue inputs. I was looking at the new Sony STR-DE985 which I can get online for just under $400. I just saw last years model STR-DE1075 open box at Best Buy for $250. It looks like the same receiver, but it doesn't have Dolby Pro Logic II. My current Pioneer doesn't have it either. My question is this, do I save myself $150.00 or go for the D.P.L. II? Looking for feedback!

If you can afford the $150, get it. That way, you won't be ticked off later that you did not.

However, since DD and DTS are the predominate choices for DVD videos, unless you are going to watch VHS (YUK!), I don't know why you would need the PLII.

Somebody, help me here...........

:-jon

My experience is that you will want Pro Logic II in your next Home Theater processor or receiver.

It does wonders with the Dolby Stereo Surround encoded DVDs and Laserdiscs you may own now - or will soon get.

Since not all DVDs and Laserdiscs have DTS and Dolby Digital 5.1, I think Pro Logic II is an essential part of a Home Theater set up.

Interestingly, the biggest advantage comes to play on Laserdiscs in my collection. Unlike Dolby Digital encoded Dolby Surround tracks on a DVD, the Laserdiscs often have full range Dolby Surround tracks while the DVD equivalent are done with lossy processing.

So you will find on some movies the sound via PL II is much better than via DD doing Dolby Surround.

Just a follow up, I had a chance to audition P.L. II and I'm impressed. Sometimes I heard TV sound that really sounded discrete in the rears. Now I gotta start saving for that Sony with the two multi-channel analog inputs.

Back