Dolby Surround (2014) vs Dolby Pro Logic II

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So...has anyone tried using L,C,R,S "encoded" Stereo content processed thru the new DSU system (S is just a signal that's 180 degrees out of phase between L and R), original DS will send that type of signal to the Back/Surround speaker(s).

Kirk Bayne
Yes, I have tried playing Dolby Surround (original) material through a Dolby Surround (ATMOS era) decoder. In general, I find it works very well. My Dolby Surround (ATMOS era) decoder up-mixes to 5.1.4 giving the sound an immersive sound. Of course, depending on the music being played one may or may not want to hear an immersive sound experience.

Fantastic Philadelphians.jpg

Last edited:
I bought that same (Dolby Surround) CD (because of its history as a single inventory RCA CD-4 LP). :)

I'll pull the CD out again and try it with my recently set up (20 year old Receiver) DPL system.

Kirk Bayne

The Marantz SR 7013 has several surround modes some of which up-mix to use all the speakers in my 5.1.4 music system.

Marantz SR 7013 has several sound modes:

View attachment 59752

Thank you for your comments. I may give that a try.
Amazon sells HDMI audio extractors that can work with the Sony blu-ray player to provide a two channel signal that can be fed into the SM. I use an input selector box that I run the analog outputs from my Pro-ject phono stage, Sony CD recorder, and 2 channel out from my Harman/Kardon DVD-48 CD/DVD-A/SACD player. It works quite well. The extractors have a pass-through for the HDMI, and an optical digital output. One of these may bean option for you. There are several there to choose from, all relatively inexpensive.

Good question. Currently, I only use the Surround Master V2 to play legacy QS and SQ records or to synthesize multi-channel music from standard two-channel stereo phonograph records. I also have a Harman Kardon CD/DVD-A/SACD player, with analog outputs, that I could use to feed the Surround Master, however; I prefer to use the matrix decoders in the Martantz over the Surround Master to synthesize multi-channel from two-channel sources.

View attachment 59741
You would connect the outputs of that universal player to the Surround Master to do what, exactly? If you wanted to play matrix-encoded CD's through it, you could use the stereo analog out from that HK player to do that, or enhance stereo CD's for surround. It will do nothing for SACD, nor DVD-A. It doesn't need to, and you can't connect a multichannel output from a player into it. You have 5.1 outputs from the SM, but only stereo input. As for using the SM for creating surround from stereo, I do that all the time. I'm amazed at how well, in the Involve mode, it does at creating an effect that could have very been an intended mix, even if it weren't. But that's just my opinion, and I'm sticking to it!

You would connect the outputs of that universal player to the Surround Master to do what, exactly? ...
In rereading my previous post, I can see how it could lead to confusion. I should have said: I could use the two channel outputs of the Harman Kardon to play ordinary two-channel music through the Surround Master to synthesize a multi-channel output. SACD and most DVD-A discs usually have a two-channel high resolution output that can be fed into the Surround Master or other matrix decoder to synthesize multi-channel sound.

In rereading my previous post, I can see how it could lead to confusion. I should have said: I could use the two channel outputs of the Harman Kardon to play ordinary two-channel music through the Surround Master to synthesize a multi-channel output. SACD and most DVD-A discs usually have a two-channel high resolution output that can be fed into the Surround Master or other matrix decoder to synthesize multi-channel sound.
That makes a lot more sense. Thanks for the clarification.

There are some big differences.
Pro Logic II has Stereo Surround Channels that are not bandwidth limited while Dolby Surround had a mono Surround Channel limited to 7 kHz.

That is true of the (very) *old* Dolby Surround. The 2014 version (Dolby Surround Upmixer, DSU) produces full range surround channels in stereo, as DPLII did.

That is true of the (very) *old* Dolby Surround. The 2014 version (Dolby Surround Upmixer, DSU) produces full range surround channels in stereo, as DPLII did.
The problem with the Dolby Surround Upmixer is that it has nothing in common with the matrix used for Dolby Surround, including PL II. Unlike PL II, it cannot decode QS material properly. I tested it, at a friend's house, with both the QS, and SQ, sides of the "Quadrafile" LP. It wasn't even close, with either matrix.

The problem with the Dolby Surround Upmixer is that it has nothing in common with the matrix used for Dolby Surround, including PL II. Unlike PL II, it cannot decode QS material properly. I tested it, at a friend's house, with both the QS, and SQ, sides of the "Quadrafile" LP. It wasn't even close, with either matrix.

Interesting. Did you try with the upmixer with DPL-2 surround left and surround right test tones?

Not so. If you listen to Dolby Surround CD's through PL II, or even a Surround Master, there is very clear and, er, logical separation across the rear speakers. The summing of the rears in the original Pro Logic was done in the decoder, along with the 7 kHz brick wall. PL II removes those restrictions.

That is not quite what happens. There were no actual channels designed into the original Dolby Stereo/Surround encoding.
surrpand.gif

You just encoded the sound wherever you wanted it to appear around this encoding circle. I have such an encoder. It has a pan pot and a front/back switch for each mixer channel.

The decoder just used a different decoding angle on the same circle for a different speaker configuration.

The Original DS and PLI decoders used the angles L, R, F, and S.

The PLII decoder used the decode angles L, R, F, 3, and 4.

That is good to know!

That is bad to know. They are obsoleting all of our old movies.

I do not want a stupid new downmixer or upmixer that does a bad job. I want my old movies to play the correct way. I also want all of my matrix records (QS, SQ, EV, DQ, DS) to play correctly.

I am not leaving the past behind. All of my recordings and movies are done with the old system. So I do not want Atmos or HDMI.

I do not want a stupid new downmixer or upmixer that does a bad job. I want my old movies to play the correct way. I also want all of my matrix records (QS, SQ, EV, DQ, DS) to play correctly.

I am not leaving the past behind. All of my recordings and movies are done with the old system. So I do not want Atmos or .
I can play all of the classic quad formats to my satisfaction and that includes 4ch R2R and CD-4 all though the last two are not normally in the system. I can play all of the modern digital surround formats all without a single HDMI audio connection. I don't have ATMOS & never will as I've found my sweet spot. But I will never waste a single keystroke criticizing or discouraging anyone else to go that route.

Most of us have moved beyond 1977 technology to the greater enjoyment of our music & movies. Of course you have the same opportunity as well.

But please don't get started on your cogging rant again. Because I do have a problem with broken records...

Last edited:
Maybe an email campaign to DTS to include DTS Stereo (Dolby Surround Compatible) decoding in the DTS family of decoding systems on A/V receivers.

Perhaps DTS could use JVC ANRS (Dolby B like NR system) in the surround channel too.

I've only heard Dolby Pro-Logic decoding of Dolby Surround encoded content, maybe to keep the cost low, DTS Stereo could just use NR and an adjustable delay for the surround channel, no logic at all.

Actually, most of my matrix encoded content is Dolby Surround encoded (Stargate SG-1 from Comet TV recorded on VHS Hi-Fi, currently), although the surround sound isn't used often in SG-1, it is impressive when used.

Kirk Bayne

My newly acquired Oppo 203 has DTS Neo 6 decoding built in. Do we know how compatible Neo 6 is with DPL encoding?

I am not leaving the past behind. All of my recordings and movies are done with the old system. So I do not want Atmos or HDMI.

It's not a new downmixer anymore, alas. It's been replacing DPL II since 2014.

Thanks to some folks on another thread, I've belatedly discovered the Dolby Surround plug-in (I think it emulates PLII, but I may be mistaken) for foobar2000. I'm finding it's a good solution for playing my old Dolby Surround CDs. I understand MidiMagic is concerned about his film collection, however; not sure if there's a comparable plug-in for VLC Player.

This says nothing about how compatible it may be with DPL encoded source.
This complains how poor Neo 6 is every time it is used, how it draws attention to itself and splits the sound into discrete pools with gaps in between. That was partly my experience of Neo 6 on my old AV amp from 2007, but given that had DPL and DPL II I had the correct decoders anyway. Also Neo 6 was quietly changed so not all Neo 6 decoders sound the same.
IIRC, the THX Optimizer section on some DVDs and Blu-rays has Dolby Surround encoded test signals (to get some idea of where DTS Neo:6 routes the sounds).
Or we could use DD 5.1 test signals and take advantage of DD 5.1's ability to downgrade to a 2.0 DPL signal.

IIRC, there are 2 Dolby matrix encoding systems - Dolby Surround and an (unnamed?) Dolby matrix encoding system for 5[.1] sources to be played using DPL 2 music mode. I know of no cases where the unnamed matrix encoding system was used, I only know of Dolby Surround being used (movies, TV shows, prerecorded tapes and discs).

Maybe try the brute force method - set your A/V receiver to stereo and built yourself a speaker switchbox to switch the back/surround speakers from directly connected to the A/V receiver speaker outputs for the back/surround channels to a Hafler/DynaQuad arrangement where all the back/surround speakers are connected to the 2 + speaker connections of the stereo outputs.

(IMHO, the Hafler scheme works quite well on the aforementioned Stargate TV show DS encoded soundtrack - a recent episode scene took place in a cavern, the echo effect caught my attention, sounded realistic even with no logic "decoding")

Kirk Bayne

Back