Dolby Surround CD Discography

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kinda OT again - are there any Dolby Surround encoded LPs (or even more obscure - DS encoded prerecorded stereo 8 track cartridges or DS encoded stereo open reel tapes [there are a few DS encoded compact cassettes])?

Kirk Bayne

Just got this CD/DVD box set in from The Netherlands.

The DVD has 22 songs with Dolby Surround encoding in 48x24. I just did a basic 4.1 Penteo up-mix/decode? with it as that seems to produce pretty good results for me. Don't know if you have this in a Discography any place yet Mark (I didn't see one?)

With various Electronic/Trance etc. artists, here's the discogs page.

https://www.discogs.com/release/1135113-Various-Chillout-Experience
Some of these turn out really nice and surroundy and others not as much, but interesting to me non-the-less.

CHILLOUT experience Dolby Surround DVD.jpg

Interesting that the CD is not encoded in Dolby Surrond. Don't know where I would place the DVD as the Dolby Surround discography is for CD'S and the DVD music discography is for discrete DTS and Dolby Digital but I guess that would be the best fit.

Interesting that the CD is not encoded in Dolby Surrond. Don't know where I would place the DVD as the Dolby Surround discography is for CD'S and the DVD music discography is for discrete DTS and Dolby Digital but I guess that would be the best fit.
yeah, it seemed like an unusual one to me, wonder if there are any more out there like this?

Mark I have a couple for the Dolby Surround Discography,
one Natural Surround and one Dolby Surround

Wendy Carlos - Switched On Bach 2000 Telarc CD 80323 , cassette, CS 30323

Noel, Nowell, Noel CD McGill 750047-2

16875684687626501955862964870122.jpg
16875685158339140554964162183235.jpg

I saw on Discogs Wendy Carlos - Switched-On Bach 2000
"All-new interpretation released to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the original Switched-On Bach."

Wikipedia also suggests it is a new recording.

If it is, how does it compare to the original?

Good question.

I think it fares well in comparison to the original quad album. And I only have the cassette from Telarc.

Wendy Carlos was not happy with her classic opus in SQ matrix quad ..and had The CBS Technology Center master that disc in CD-4 for her listening pleasure. But for some reason she chose Dolby MP Matrix , on this remake., which is still a matrix ?

I saw on Discogs Wendy Carlos - Switched-On Bach 2000
"All-new interpretation released to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the original Switched-On Bach."

Wikipedia also suggests it is a new recording.

If it is, how does it compare to the original?
After 25 years, synth technology had improved and the original Switched-On Bach was sounding dated. With new digital instruments and MIDI, requests for more Bach, Wendy re-recorded the album with new sounds and tunings. This is not a remix of the original, it is another interpretation of the same pieces. Read more here Wendy Carlos, SOB 2K Notes

Yes, I have wondered why Wendy Carlos seemed happy with the Dolby Surround matrix but not the CBS SQ matrix - the only thing I could come up with is that the Dolby Surround system has a standardized decoder, unlike the CBS SQ system (fixed blend, gain riding, gain riding + variblend, variable matrix).

Anyway, back to the discography...

Kirk Bayne

The Dolby Surround Discography has been updated. If you happen to find anything that I missed, please let me know.
Thank you Mark!

I just looked through the list of new entries (*) and found one I'd be interested in (the music is very nice and funky):

https://www.discogs.com/release/28755232-Laszlo-Bencker-Jazzcraft

unfortunately, it seems to be a very rare one. But I also recognized the name as being on an earlier LP I tried in UHJ Ambisonic, also by Sonoton:

https://www.discogs.com/master/805112-Laszlo-Bencker-Lady-Robot

Too bad they didn't get into more discrete sounding surround!

Mark I have a couple for the Dolby Surround Discography,
one Natural Surround and one Dolby Surround

Wendy Carlos - Switched On Bach 2000 Telarc CD 80323 , cassette, CS 30323

Noel, Nowell, Noel CD McGill 750047-2

View attachment 93131View attachment 93132

Mark,
This Xmas themed McGill CD in (Natural Surround) ....is not there , unless you parked it somewhere else ?

Edit,

Just noticed Wendy Carlos Switched On Bach 2000 .....and Whoops ,
they are both missing ?

Last edited:
Mark,
This Xmas themed McGill CD in (Natural Surround) ....is not there , unless you parked it somewhere else ?

Edit,

Just noticed Wendy Carlos Switched On Bach 2000 .....and Whoops ,
they are both missing ?
Wendy is at https://www.surrounddiscography.com/dolby/dolby.htm#C

McGill is at https://www.surrounddiscography.com/dolby/dolbyanth.htm#M

Maybe I did not put them in the right place. The other McGills are under the classical but i thought this one had multiple artist

Back