• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

Dolby Surround CD's - What's Your Latest?

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

ssully

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
I had already tried that, but it seems that my newest receiver (a Yamaha A780) doesn't do Prologic. The good news is that I bought it for a different system (I have 3 😳) and I will hook the old one (a Yamaha V673) back up as soon as I'm done hiding out from the virus. The manual for it says it will do prologic.
Your RX- A780 has a suite of Dolby processors, including the 'Dolby Surround' upmixer (DSU) (not to be confused with the old Dolby Surround tech being discussed here). DSU is Dolby's replacement for all of its Dolby Pro Logic flavors, and as such it should work OK with your old Dolby Surround disc.

riskylogic

Your RX- A780 has a suite of Dolby processors, including the 'Dolby Surround' upmixer (DSU) (not to be confused with the old Dolby Surround tech being discussed here). DSU is Dolby's replacement for all of its Dolby Pro Logic flavors, and as such it should work OK with your old Dolby Surround disc.
Do you think I'll get 4 channels out of 2? My RX-A3080 (I have one of those too) gave me more than that, which seemed like too many - but I didn't try to select a particular processor.

ssully

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Do you think I'll get 4 channels out of 2? My RX-A3080 (I have one of those too) gave me more than that, which seemed like too many - but I didn't try to select a particular processor.
I doubt it. DPLII and later upmixers just upmix to whatever your configuration is. If you want to enforce 4.0, tell your AVR that you only have 4 speakers.

riskylogic

I doubt it. DPLII and later upmixers just upmix to whatever your configuration is. If you want to enforce 4.0, tell your AVR that you only have 4 speakers.
I think I'll stick with my current plan A, which is to hook up an old receiver. It's been 15 years or so since I've heard it played "properly". Once I have that under my belt, maybe I'll experiment with newfangled options.

jaybird100

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
Not so. The "new" Dolby Surround has nothing in common with the original Dolby Surround, which was matrix-based. The new system is more of a digital enhancement, but will not give accurate results from CD's, videotapes, laserdiscs, etc. that are encoded with Dolby Surround. Pro Logic II will deliver excellent results with sources encoded with the original system, and can also provide enhancement to stereo recordings. DPL II will also deliver excellent decoding of records encoded in QS or EV-4.

riskylogic

I think I'll stick with my current plan A, which is to hook up an old receiver. It's been 15 years or so since I've heard it played "properly". Once I have that under my belt, maybe I'll experiment with newfangled options.
OK, I finally got around to playing Symphonic Music of Yes through a Yamaha RX-V673 (I think I bought it in 2013 or so) and selecting Dolby Prologic processing, It does sound much better than my newer receiver, but it still uses the center channel which makes me think it's not totally legit.

ssully

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Not so. The "new" Dolby Surround has nothing in common with the original Dolby Surround, which was matrix-based. The new system is more of a digital enhancement, but will not give accurate results from CD's, videotapes, laserdiscs, etc. that are encoded with Dolby Surround. Pro Logic II will deliver excellent results with sources encoded with the original system, and can also provide enhancement to stereo recordings. DPL II will also deliver excellent decoding of records encoded in QS or EV-4.
I said 'ok', not 'great'. I'm no fan of DSU, I prefer DPLII and am well aware of its capabilities, but you can't get it any more on most new AVRs. And I'm reading that going forward, Dolby is disabling 'Center Spread' in DSU!! Making it even worse.