Dolby Surround CD's - What's Your Latest?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Although I have a dvda conversion I always wanted to re-aquire this BMG DOLBY disc.

Got it on cass...ette too.

Excellent performance with many guest artists.

Attachments

• 20180305_184949.jpg
    20180305_184949.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 212
This is I think my first "vintage" surround sound CD find: Tchaikovsky 1812 Overture, Intersound Classical Heritage, CH 1239. And of all things, what caught my eye, was the Shure Acra Vector logo on the back. Until this, I never knew that anything was produced in that format - I thought it was only a decoding system in competition to the original Dolby Pro Logic.

Attachments

• Tchaikovsky 1812.jpg
    Tchaikovsky 1812.jpg
    391.7 KB · Views: 197
BUMP!
OK, it's a "longo tello" (yes, I like Jar Jar Binks...!!!)..
Back in 87-88 I was working at Tower Boston and I found this MIni CD from Delos which was quite charming, albeit a bit dark sounding at low volumes... great performance nevertheless....
So last week I said, what the hell, might as well look for other releases by Carol and found THIS ONE in Discogs!!!
And, lo and behold, it IS a Dolby Surround encoded CD!!
Mind you, I really don't know what it'll have in the rears BUT...I'll let cha know..
R-3148733-1318012003.jpeg.jpg

BUMP!
OK, it's a "longo tello" (yes, I like Jar Jar Binks...!!!)..
Back in 87-88 I was working at Tower Boston and I found this MIni CD from Delos which was quite charming, albeit a bit dark sounding at low volumes... great performance nevertheless....
So last week I said, what the hell, might as well look for other releases by Carol and found THIS ONE in Discogs!!!
And, lo and behold, it IS a Dolby Surround encoded CD!!
Mind you, I really don't know what it'll have in the rears BUT...I'll let cha know..
R-3148733-1318012003.jpeg.jpg

AMBIENCE, Kap [solo piano but have some Carol Rosenberger discs and she's a superb pianist]. ENJOY!

BTW, picked up a copy @ Amazon for under $4 [used/VG] + s/h.

I should probably just check this using my 'Dolby SURROUND SPECTACULAR' CD, but I'm not home right now and I don't remember what the answer is. Does playing an old Dolby Surround signal automatically activate Dolby Pro Logic in a player or receiver (the way a Dolby Digital signal activates DD decoder, or a DTS signal triggers a DTS a decoder)? Or do you have to manually turn on DPL?

I should probably just check this using my 'Dolby SURROUND SPECTACULAR' CD, but I'm not home right now and I don't remember what the answer is. Does playing an old Dolby Surround signal automatically activate Dolby Pro Logic in a player or receiver (the way a Dolby Digital signal activates DD decoder, or a DTS signal triggers a DTS a decoder)? Or do you have to manually turn on DPL?
Have to manually turn it on.

thanks to dr. simple for the scoop! 🤩

Mancini In Surround : Mostly Monsters, Murders & Mysteries (Dolby Surround CD)

i notice it was mixed into Dolby Surround by one Grover Helsley, who did the two excellent Hues Corporation Quad mixes out now on DV SACD, so i'm expecting good things from this!

It's a good one with the Surround Master. The Pink Panther album by Henry Mancini in Dolby Surround is even better with the Surround Master.

As I haven't got Dolby either on disc player or control amplifier, is there any way of converting from Dolby Surround CD to 5.1 flac? I have two of the Henry Mancini discs and would give anything for Baby Elephant Walk in glorious surround sound.

Is there an AA3 script for Dolby? Actually, could someone please let me know just what AA3 decoding scripts are available in the wild for surround decoding? I'm out of work so may have some time for fooling with such things, Once I've flogged Abbey Road to bits that is

Back