Dolby Surround CD's - What's Your Latest?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just checked the CD inserts and they only list five Tomita CDs in total!

it'll forever be "The Tomit Collection"! dammit! i mean Tomit! 😂

the 6 releases were;

- Tomita In Surround (don't remember what's on that, a compilation maybe?),
- Kosmos,
- Snowflakes Are Dancing,
- Firebird,
- Pictures At An Exhibition,
- The Planets.

Last edited:
more info on the Tomita Dolby Surround CDs here;

http://www.isaotomita.net/dolby.html
D7F5034F-1337-460F-8A20-6FC563997CF6.jpeg

Isao Tomita - Tomita in Surround [CD] Description

Tracklist

1. Pictures at an Exhibition
2. Promenade
3. The Gnome
4. Promenade
5. The Old Castle
6. Promenade
7. Tuileries
8. Bydlo
9. Promenade
10. Ballet Of The Chicks In Their Shells
11. The Two Jews
12. Limoges/Catacombs
13. Cum Mortuis in Lingua Mortua
14. Baba Yaga (Hut On Fowls Legs)
15. Great Gate Of Kiev

Edit: Hang on, that can't be right, that's the tracklist for "Pictures At An Exhibition"...!?

I will search further! 👀

Hah, I also never noticed that about the front covers on the Tomita CD's (that's what I get for not having them all in one spot)! What a way to botch the spine spelling Marketing Department (sheesh).

You've just confirmed, fredblue, that I still need Pictures At An Exhibition and In Surround. Trusty ol' Bullmoose.com doesn't even list In Surround - yet the cover art is used on two other, incorrect Tomita listings! I guess that'll be the hard one to find...

I don't see anything at discogs either about 'Tomita In Surround'
Though discogs shows that cover for 'The planets' title.
I think what happened is the booklet photos were all uploaded, including a preview photo of 'Tomita In Surround' & somehow that one got chosen as the 1st photo to display.

Last edited:
I don't see anything at discogs either about 'Tomita In Surround'
Though discogs shows that cover for 'The planets' title.
I think what happened is the booklet photos were all uploaded, including a preview photo of 'Tomita In Surround' & somehow that one got chosen as the 1st photo to display.

i will check my copy as soon as i have access 🙂

A little OT, however, regarding PRO-ARTE CDX 013 (1990) Sample Surround CD (DS encoded version):
I guess nobody told the album producers that Dolby Surround limits the surround channel bass to 100Hz, the Cannon Fire tracks (5,6) sound good in L, C, R but in S, it's like a pop, not a boom.

Kirk Bayne

A little OT, however, regarding PRO-ARTE CDX 013 (1990) Sample Surround CD (DS encoded version):
I guess nobody told the album producers that Dolby Surround limits the surround channel bass to 100Hz, the Cannon Fire tracks (5,6) sound good in L, C, R but in S, it's like a pop, not a boom.

Kirk Bayne
I didn't know that. So the surround channels output doesn't go lower than 100Hz?

I don't know why Dolby Labs limited the surround channel to 100Hz to 7kHz (in original Dolby Surround), maybe so theater owners could use small speakers for the surround channel.

I recall seeing some of the early Dolby Surround home audio systems, the surround speakers were very small (possibly just single 4" speakers in a woodgrain finish enclosure to match the front speakers).

Kirk Bayne

Shure Stereosurround did not have that limitation. At least thats what they said about their decoders.
There is suppposed to be a variant of that Pro Arte sampler that used shure stereosurround but I could never find a copy to test it out.

I have both versions, the Stereosurround version doesn't have the Cannon Fire tracks.

IIRC, of all the matrix systems, only original Dolby Surround has this limited frequency response for the surround channel.

Kirk Bayne
That's probably because theaters had rather powerful subwoofers that could handle the bass that the surround speaker array couldn't handle. The Pro Arte people should have known about that limitation before mixing the cannons into the surround channel.

When I first listened to this DS CD ~30 years ago (in stereo), I wondered how this got thru their QC (2 Dolby Consultants are listed in the CD booklet).

Looking over the SEU4 DS encoder info, I didn't see a provision for routing bass (for example) to C from S below 100Hz (seems like to should be an encoder option, although of course it can be done in the L,C,R,S mix prior to encoding).

Kirk Bayne

Saw this thread and realized I had gotten one of the Tomita discs. Didn't have a 5.1 system when I bought it so stuck it in cd rack. Listened tonight and was surprised by the mix. Really nice when I turned it up. Probably listen to Q8 tomorrow. Been a while but I remember it had a real discrete mix, as all four do. He usually got more discrete as tape ran. He'd slam the quad on track two.
I "saved" the Snowflakes Are Dancing tape when splice broke by taking the one end that was sticking out and winding it onto the wheel of a cart I could take apart. Didn't want to lose it!

Attachments

• IMG_20210128_194216311.jpg
    IMG_20210128_194216311.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 96
Saw this thread and realized I had gotten one of the Tomita discs. Didn't have a 5.1 system when I bought it so stuck it in cd rack. Listened tonight and was surprised by the mix. Really nice when I turned it up. Probably listen to Q8 tomorrow. Been a while but I remember it had a real discrete mix, as all four do. He usually got more discrete as tape ran. He'd slam the quad on track two.
I "saved" the Snowflakes Are Dancing tape when splice broke by taking the one end that was sticking out and winding it onto the wheel of a cart I could take apart. Didn't want to lose it!

@Quadmon
Is it possible you can put up a back cover photo of the Tomita cd ?
I'm curious as to the Tomita In Surround track listing. FWIW that cd I never had by Tomita.

This is an interesting listen in Shure HTS stereosurround.

Carpe Diem -Trammel Starks , Ricky Keller and friends.... ProArte cds 3437

Attachments

• 20210130_134701.jpg
    20210130_134701.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 97
  • 20210130_134650.jpg
    20210130_134650.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 95
  • 20210130_134714.jpg
    20210130_134714.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 95
Back