Dolby Surround CD's - What's Your Latest?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Attachments

• 20210131_134035.jpg
    20210131_134035.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 133

May not qualify to be in this thread, but I just happened to find this: a Dolby Surround encoded music video.

The DS encoding seems to survive whatever audio data reduction system YouTube uses.

IIRC, Shure believed that (stereo) music videos could be a "backdoor" for surround sound to be reintroduced (hopefully using the Shure matrix encoding/decoding system).

Kirk Bayne

Last edited:

May not qualify to be in this thread, but I just happened to find this: a Dolby Surround encoded music video.

The DS encoding seems to survive whatever audio data reduction system YouTube uses.

IIRC, Shure believed that (stereo) music videos could be a "backdoor" for surround sound to be reintroduced (hopefully using the Shure matrix encoding/decoding system).

Kirk Bayne
'Thriller' was also Dolby Surround as were some MV from the British group 'ABC'

Now that is cool, that they printed "quad compatible" on the cassette and artwork. Have you ever been able to compare it
Now that is cool, that they printed "quad compatible" on the cassette and artwork. Have you ever been able to compare it against the quad LP and see if the decode is better or worse fizzywiggs?

Not as good as the lp , but not that bad really. There were only a small number of Companies that had quad matrix cassettes.
CBS had there single inventory ones, BASF had some , and A

I used to listen to a lot of SQ and RM encodes from CD-4 on cassette , but it was my encoding to cassette and my playback on the same machine. They were much better for quad matrix listening .

Besides that I had ( and still have some) BBC matrix quad on cassette that sounded quite good when decoded on playback .

Wait... wait a minute. That album is named "Tomita in Surround" on the front, but "Pictures at an Exhibition" on the back...
Fredblue might be right about this disc (post #204). What does the spine say for a name Quadmon?
I think it depends on how you fold the liner notes when you put it back in the case. From memory, they all have that Tomita in Surround as one pane of the liner notes

Thar she be 🐳 !!

Wait... wait a minute. That album is named "Tomita in Surround" on the front, but "Pictures at an Exhibition" on the back...
Fredblue might be right about this disc (post #204). What does the spine say for a name Quadmon?
Spine says:
Mussorgsky PICTURES AT AN EXHIBITION.TOMITA 60576-2-RG

not much on the spine.
Aha!

Right-on watsontr, those inserts are multi-fold if I'm remembering correctly too. That disc is indeed Pictures at an Exhibition as Quad Linda points out. Folding the insert another way should get to the correct front image. Well, this all backs-up the post that fredblue put up (post #203), that there is no sixth CD to this set. If anyone should ever concretely discover otherwise we'd all be interested to find out the details!

Emerson , Lake , and Palmer -In The Hot Seat. 2CD SET (2017 remaster)

Not indicated as such , however CD One does contain
the bonus Dolby Surround tracks of "Pictures At An Exhibition"

which are found on the Victory/BMG CD fr 1994. And also can

be found on; E.L.P. Return of The Manticore -the box set fr 1994.

Attachments

• 20210221_083506.jpg
    20210221_083506.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 117
  • 20210221_083636.jpg
    20210221_083636.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 121
  • 16139195343151035704313.jpg
    16139195343151035704313.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 110
https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/surround-sound-explained-part-2^^^
Because of the unpredictable and sometimes unintuitive nature of the problems that mixing in Dolby Surround can create, Dolby insist that any surround mixing using the format is performed through a complete encode-decode system.

For the past ~2 years, I've listened to all TV, Movie, Steaming content thru Dolby ProLogic when using my basement A/V system, on DS encoded content, I haven't heard any logic artifacts.

I don't know the Dolby requirements for DS encoding previously mixed Quad content.

Kirk Bayne

Back