Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio question

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Are these two formats tied to High Definition DVD discs or could they be used on DVDs and some sort of HiRez music disc?

Could they in fact become a newer version of a DVD-Audio that could play on a DVD player connected to new receivers with decoders in them?

:confused::phones:confused:

My uneducated opinion is that they are only available on HD because of the amount of space they take up. You couldn't fit them on a standard DVD on top of the video portion. With that said, there's no reason these couldn't be the "new" or "next" DVD-A. I just don't know how much space they take up. Could anything else fit besides the soundtrack on the disc? Maybe it would only be an HD thing. Either way, I'd like to see it!

Are these two formats tied to High Definition DVD discs or could they be used on DVDs and some sort of HiRez music disc?

Could they in fact become a newer version of a DVD-Audio that could play on a DVD player connected to new receivers with decoders in them?

:confused::phones:confused:

At the present time TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio can only support HD DVD and Blu-ray playback devices.

I am looking forward to the development of profile 3.0 (audio only) BD players. But at the present time my model of HD DVD-Audio title that can also include image content can work for BD as well.

Our First Blu-ray Music title is on its way and I will keep you posted.

Alexander

Alexander,

You took Surround Records to Blu-Ray in January. Did you already know HD-DVD was "disappearing"?

Alexander,

You took Surround Records to Blu-Ray in January. Did you already know HD-DVD was "disappearing"?

I think that nobody in the industry at that point could predict that will happened or how quick that will happened with HD DVD.
Knowing that more then a million HD DVD players sold I still think that in the next couple year’s small volume HD DVD content producers can still benefit from this media.

Our announcement about future Blu-ray support was just response to the market shift towards Blu-ray technology and our ability to stay current giving the best hardware support to our HD music titles.

Let me know if I fully answered your question.

The DTS-HD MAS encoder suite also includes a standalone StreamPlayer as well.
Not only will this allow me to encode to Lossless for archival purposes, it also allows me to play back any file encoded to any form of DTS at all from the PC using my studio hardware. No player needed at all.
Hell - I can even create a Quicktime film file to go along with the stream play - this would work wonderfully well for someone with a setup like Cai's "Quad House" with everything streaming off a central file server.
I am seriously considering doing this myself now with HDD space being so cheap.
All I will need is the streamplayer on a laptop hooked up via wireless to the server, which would have 5.1 audio outputs.
Any new DVD-A I get would be copied straight to HDD at 24/96 - encode straight to DTS-HD Master Audio & DTS-HD StreamPlayer will do the rest.

So there are seriously plans for an "audio only" BluRay? 3.0 would surely be optional support in players, I suppose. I'd almost rather not go down that road, again. (As we more-or-less did with with DVD-Audio.) Well... I somehow don't think we're looking at anything quite as brand new as having to start designating players and discs as BD-Video and BD-Audio. Or are we? I'd hope not. I think it would be nice to try and just pin our future hi-rez audio hopes on the version 1.1 type BD players so that every piece of software sold will work with pretty much everybody's BluRay players. I don't always enjoy having to turn on the TV, but I can put up with it. So unless 3.0-designed software is fully compatible with v1.1 players, except that a TV must be used to choose songs or whatever, then it just doesn't seem like a good idea. (I'm thinking about mass acceptance. In my perfect world, everybody eventually ditches their standard DVD-Video players and upgrades to BluRay players that can send high-resolution, multichannel TrueHD audio via a single HDMI cable and, thus, shopping is made simpler than it was back when we were looking at DVD-Video players that had to also have DVD-Audio or SACD capabilities added.)

It'll be interesting to learn more about profile 3.0, nonetheless.

In the meantime, I'll be on the lookout for any regular BD discs that have kick-butt "TrueHD" surround mixes!

Last edited:
I'll wager there will be no "Audio Blu Ray" version at all.
The sole and single reason the studios went with Blu Ray is because AACS is mandatory, and has to be paid for by the content owners.
It is brutally expensive - makes DVD-A's CPPM seem cheap by comparison.
It is a video format, first, last & foremost.

Is it possible to make a Blu-Ray disc with a DVD-A or SACD "layer"?

The sole and single reason the studios went with Blu Ray is because AACS is mandatory, and has to be paid for by the content owners.It is brutally expensive - makes DVD-A's CPPM seem cheap by comparison.

Is there any chance that the cost of implementing the AACS will go down? It does kinda suck that Blu-Ray costs are higher and, thus, it's not as accessible or profitable to work with.

I think we found the way to archive all the old product with this new suite of encoders from DTS. For a good review, check out the Feb issue SOUND ON SOUND mag. We can encode to a lossless format or DTS or DVD-audio and it can be all done on the computer. The cost is about $1500 bucks. Not cheap, but if it the final solution, aka lossless encoding, an ability to encode standard DTS also, and provide DVD-audio if desired, seems to make this the absolute no brainer.
This was the reason to hold on to all the analog sources. But with this tape, we need to get moving soon. I quit doing all this conversion to a format when it became evident we were taking this to a better ending. Perhaps we are there, can get going to a fairly perfect format(read the article) here is a preview, http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/feb08/articles/ma_suite.htm buy the full article online, it is on the racks now. If ya want to read it, hurry, March issue will hit shelves soon.
We can buy a bluray (like the new Panasonic) to decode the new format in the player, yet play it on our old 5.1 systems
Here is a DTS link. http://www.dtsonline.com/pro-audio/mas_pd.php

Is there any chance that the cost of implementing the AACS will go down? It does kinda suck that Blu-Ray costs are higher and, thus, it's not as accessible or profitable to work with.

With Sony now holding a monopoly?
What do you honestly think?

DTS-HD MAS is a great archival tool too. Been banging on about this for a while, but nobody seemed interested.
I'm archiving everything to it right now.
Add the new PC StreamPlayer into the equation, and it's also a desktop playback system from stacked HDD like Cai has set up from a central file server. With Video, if you want it.
NO Blu Ray required, just a link to your reciever.....

Is it possible to make a Blu-Ray disc with a DVD-A or SACD "layer"?

You can have up to a 24/192 5.1 PCM track on Blu-ray, so I'm not sure why you'd want to. With Sony all over PCM these days, it seems like they've all but left DSD behind too.

Fox just dropped the MSRP on over 20 of their catalogue titles by $10, from $39.98 to $29.98.

I'll wager there will be no "Audio Blu Ray" version at all.
It is a video format, first, last & foremost.

Well, I have to say that I often put on the Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds Blu-ray Disc with the TV turned off and receiver set to Pure Audio. If they would default to the hirez 5.1 tracks, like the REM DVD-A discs do, you wouldn't even need to turn on the TV, you could just press play.

Trent Reznor's latest Blu-ray offering seems to suggest that he feels the Blu-ray medium would function perfectly well as an audio format. The only reason it's currently a video format is because Warner Music, UMG and SonyBMG aren't releasing any audio discs yet.

If they were to release dmb's "Before These Crowded Streets" or Pearl Jam's "Ten" in a deluxe Blu-ray package with hirez multi-channel and stereo options and one or two video features like some of the DVD-A discs can contain, I'd be right there in line to snap them up.

It has a lot more potential to be a audio format than DVD-Audio does, which was and continues to be a niche format.

With Sony now holding a monopoly?
What do you honestly think?

DTS-HD MAS is a great archival tool too. Been banging on about this for a while, but nobody seemed interested.
I'm archiving everything to it right now.
Add the new PC StreamPlayer into the equation, and it's also a desktop playback system from stacked HDD like Cai has set up from a central file server. With Video, if you want it.
NO Blu Ray required, just a link to your reciever.....

Neil, i am not sure why i missed your posts . I am in line with the thinking this may the best way to archive as we have a company that seems to think about backward compatibility. You can shove a DTS disc from 1997 in a player and it plays. If it sees extentions it will play them, and if not plays the core. With DVDA we have this hardware problem, which will not just go away. Now if we can get a better price point on the encoding software. My guess is that will be a while.

You do make DTS-HD MA sound pretty good. Backwards compatibility and all might make it better than the uncompressed 5.1 PCM on some discs.

Back