Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio question

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You do make DTS-HD MA sound pretty good. Backwards compatibility and all might make it better than the uncompressed 5.1 PCM on some discs.

I had thought DTS-HD MA was a terrible idea with no benefit compared to Dolby TrueHD or uncompressed lossless PCM, but reading this thread makes me reconsider. Unfortunately so far, very little hardware exists to handle it. Once the PS3 is updated to decode it that will change and the announced upcoming Blu-ray players from Sony and Panasonic will handle it as well. The Panasonic DMP-BD30A and Samsung BD-P1400 can send bitstream to an external decoder so we at least have a start with some hardware.

Chris

With the DTS-HD Streamplayer (in the MAS Bundle) you can play all & any DTS streams, including these:
DTS-CD
DTS "Core" from DVD-Video (just extract & play)
DTS-ES
DTS 96/24
DTS-HD High Resolution (lossy, but up to 3000kbps)
DTS-HD Master Audio (full lossless)
All straight off the computer. No hardware except a multichannel soundcard & speakers required.

With the DTS-HD Streamplayer (in the MAS Bundle) you can play all & any DTS streams, including these:
DTS-CD
DTS "Core" from DVD-Video (just extract & play)
DTS-ES
DTS 96/24
DTS-HD High Resolution (lossy, but up to 3000kbps)
DTS-HD Master Audio (full lossless)
All straight off the computer. No hardware except a multichannel soundcard & speakers required.

I don't have a PC in any of my surround systems, just a whole bunch of disc and tape players and I need to get up to speed on that stuff and get one. All I know how to do is buy DVD-V/SACD/DVD-A/Blu-ray/HD DVD and play them in one of several players connected to each system. It would appear I am missing out. I still don't have the ability to play DTS-HD MA but I have quite a few Blu-ray discs that include it.

Chris

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/04/10/firmware-v230-details-and-store-walkthrough/
I have more good news to report today – the system software update will also add DTS-HD Master Audio output for Blu-ray videos, which means the high-definition visuals of Blu-ray will now be matched with the highest quality audio for the ultimate movie-watching experience on PS3.

It's also an official press release from DTS as well.

http://www.dts.com/company/press/press-article.php?ID=1601180336&cID=1&yID=2008

DTS-HD MASTER AUDIO NOW AVAILABLE FOR PLAYSTATION 3 COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM

ADVANCED CODEC RAISES BAR FOR HIGH DEFINITION ENTERTAINMENT

MORE THAN ONE HUNDRED BLU-RAY MOVIES / CONCERT VIDEOS FEATURING PREMIUM DTS-HD MASTER AUDIO™ SOUNDTRACKS AVAILABLE

PR for: DTS Corporate

DTS, Inc. (NASDAQ: DTSI) a digital audio technology company dedicated to delivering the ultimate entertainment experience, has announced that its DTS-HD Master Audio™ technology is now available for the PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™) computer entertainment system. DTS-HD Master Audio is capable of delivering audio that is bit-for-bit identical to the studio master at super high variable bit rates (up to 24.5 Mbps on Blu-ray™ Discs). This bit stream is so fast and the transfer rate so high that it can deliver 7.1 audio channel, 96k/24-bit sound identical to the original studio master. DTS’ single-bit-stream codec design enables supremely efficient content programming and consumer playback. The new PS3 with DTS-HD Master Audio will be available by simply downloading the upcoming firmware upgrade on April 15th, 2008.

“We are extremely pleased that Sony Computer Entertainment (SCE) is adding the full spectrum premium DTS-HD Master Audio codec into the PS3 so that more than 10 million owners of one of the best selling computer entertainment systems can have the best sounding, most efficient and flexible audio technology available system as well,” said Brian Towne, Senior Vice President and General Manager, Consumer Division at DTS. “DTS-HD Master Audio is fast becoming the must-have feature for high definition entertainment enthusiasts.”

"PS3 was designed to enable delivery of new and improved technologies like DTS-HD Master Audio," said Teiji Yutaka, Senior Vice President, Software Platform Development, SCE. "So we are delighted to be able to offer this capability to PS3 users."

Finally. :)

This is good in that it will make it more attractive to studios to add to their discs.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/04/10/firmware-v230-details-and-store-walkthrough/
I have more good news to report today – the system software update will also add DTS-HD Master Audio output for Blu-ray videos, which means the high-definition visuals of Blu-ray will now be matched with the highest quality audio for the ultimate movie-watching experience on PS3.

Interesting. Some Home Theater processors and receivers aren't supporting DTS-HD Master Audio but it's now on the PlayStation 3. Hmm....

Interesting. Some Home Theater processors and receivers aren't supporting DTS-HD Master Audio but it's now on the PlayStation 3. Hmm....

The receivers and processors need a chip in order to decode DTS-HD MA, the PS3 can do it as a software solution because of the cell. I guess it has to do with availability and pricing of the chips that only now MA enabled receivers and processors are getting more common.

It is interesting. One of the points often made by HD DVD supporters during the format war was that HD DVD players were final specification and that Blu-ray players were not. Looking back, it is easy to see over 90% of Blu-ray players sold (various models of the PS3) are easily updated to Profile 2.0 and easily updated to decode all audio codecs including all advanced audio codecs while 100% of HD DVD players sold were not able to do the same. The PS3 requires an HDMI 1.1 audio processor attached that can handle PCM. Over 90% of the HD DVD players sold can't handle DTS-HD MA period and the ones that can, do it by bitstream to HDMI 1.3 audio processing.

Chris

Chris, no disrespect intended, but when are you going to exchange that Departed disc with one in a blue case in your avatar? ;):D

Chris, no disrespect intended, but when are you going to exchange that Departed disc with one in a blue case in your avatar? ;):D

As soon as Blu-ray departs. Hopefully, a couple of decades since I don't expect any physical media for consumers to be higher quality. I only changed to the HD DVD Departed avatar the day Toshiba made the announcement of the departure.:)

Chris

Ok so my PS3 can play and decode Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio so I don't need to get a new receiver???????????
My PS3 is sending a 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio signal out through my optical to my amp which is set on direct. So I'm getting the DTS-HD Master Audio right?? So the PS3 is doing the decoding that the new receivers do.

Ok so my PS3 can play and decode Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio so I don't need to get a new receiver???????????
My PS3 is sending a 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio signal out through my optical to my amp which is set on direct. So I'm getting the DTS-HD Master Audio right?? So the PS3 is doing the decoding that the new receivers do.

Not quite. If you want the full lossless audio you need a HDMI receiver. Optical doesn't support the bandwith needed for 6 PCM (digital audio) streams. If you go out optical you get either (depending on the settings in your PS3) 2.0 PCM (lossless stereo downmixed) or the lossy DTS core.

And the PS3 cannot bitstream the HD audio codecs. So even with a new reciever the decoding needs to be done in the PS3 and then sent out to the receiver as PCM.

Yes, the PS3 is doing the decoding, but it can't pass the decoded PCM at full resolution over optical, that requires HDMI and a connected HDMI 1.1 or above audio processor that handles uncompressed LPCM. Those have been around for a couple of years now. If your receiver is lighting up DTS or Dolby Digital while using your PS3 connected by optical or coaxial digital, all you are hearing is basic DTS or Dolby Digital, not the advanced lossless codecs. I decided on the Yamaha RX-V663 primarily because it was inexpensive relatively speaking and my good experience with Yamaha AV receivers. It is HDMI 1.3 and decodes Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD MA, SACD, and DVD-A in addition to handling the PCM from my PS3. I now have players to send bitstream from Blu-ray, HD DVD, SACD and DVD-A. I hope I can quit what seemed to be a never ending search to be able to play all of the various digital audio and video formats and not buy another piece of hardware for a couple of years at least.

I am happy with the results.

Chris

Back