HiRez Poll Donnas - GOLD MEDAL [DVD-A DualDisc]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A DualDisc of Donnas - GOLD MEDAL

• Total voters
You'd think it would be worth something after being recalled.

recalled because if you play the CD side (who would?) the music just stops at some point, as if the tape broke

See, and I love the Donnas! I thought it was a great album. (But then I have a major Joan Jett fetish.)

See, and I love the Donnas! I thought it was a great album. (But then I have a major Joan Jett fetish.)

This was the one where they really moved away from the Ramones-type sound of the early albums AND the hair-metallish aspects of the middle albums, right?

Yeah, their major-label debut, so it got popped- and glammed-up pretty good for the mainstream release that Atlantic was hoping it would be. But all they really did was piss off their old fans and not get any new ones. Radio didn't really touch it.

That said, I still like the album a lot, personally. (See my aforementioned Joan Jett thingie.)

Played this today off of the dualdisc for the first time in a few years. I still enjoy this album on cd but realized how pissed I was when the surround came out. There were so many opportunities with harmonies and guitar that it could have been a very cool surround disc. The sound was good for what it was but the fact that they buried some of the things that sounded good in stereo were crazy. This was a blueprint for how to kill the Dualdisc. After listening to this I grabbed ICP's The Wraith to put in. Big surround and a fun mix. The bass is big enough it was like getting a body massage. DTS should have done the Donnas.

Played this today off of the dualdisc for the first time in a few years. I still enjoy this album on cd but realized how pissed I was when the surround came out. There were so many opportunities with harmonies and guitar that it could have been a very cool surround disc. The sound was good for what it was but the fact that they buried some of the things that sounded good in stereo were crazy. This was a blueprint for how to kill the Dualdisc. After listening to this I grabbed ICP's The Wraith to put in. Big surround and a fun mix. The bass is big enough it was like getting a body massage. DTS should have done the Donnas.

I agree, the Donnas is infectious and they could've done a lot more with the surround mix. This was one of those rarer dual discs as they were part of the dual disc launch in the Boston, MA area and not too many were made before they went OOP [due to a replication error on the CD side]*. I was able to score one cheaply at a local FYE before they shuttered their doors.

And you're right....DTS Entertainment probably would've done a bang up job with the surround mix.

Still, I'm glad to have this disc in my collection.......for nostalgia purposes [?] :yikes

* http://www.highfidelityreview.com/dualdisc-off-to-a-shaky-start-as-donnas-album-is-withdrawn.html

Back