HiRez Poll Doobie Brothers, The - QUADIO [Blu-ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of the Doobie Brothers - QUADIO

• Total voters
Hello, new member here and a similar question as above. I would love to buy this set but worried I can't play the 4.0 mixes. Has anyone successfully played the 4.0 mixes from a Sony UBP-X800? I was unable to output the 4.0 mix from the Wish You Were Here BDA. From my other reading on this site it seems the X800 would be the problem, not my Yamaha RX-V1081 AVR.
They are Quad content but additional channels are added with no content so the AVR/Disc players don't freak out.
You'll be just fine. Unless there is something weird about the Sony...
Welcome to QQ!
EDIT: I could be wrong, the Quadio may be pure 4.0, I'm going to rip one.

Last edited:
I don't think so, but you can rip them, add a silent channel making them 5.1 and play back from the player from the USB port.
(my Sony UBP-X700 doesn't do quad or I am a knucklehead ... it could be both)

As discussed elsewhere, some modern processor chips don’t recognize 4.0 files. To offset this factor, quad mixes are transferred to disc (and any subsequent FLAC files) with at least one silent channel as 5.0 which causes the gear to play 4.0 quad properly. WYWH from BDA was probably created prior to this becoming known. So 4.0 gets treated as 2.0 stereo.

My Sony X 800 refused to read 4.0 FLAC files until I used a utility discussed here named Music Media Helper to add silent channel to all my older quad files.

You know I was just looking at some flacs ripped from one of the Quadio BD's and it shows in Audition as pure quad.
That's strange because I don't remember any problems.
I may have to eat my words.
edit: nope

Last edited:
Hello, new member here and a similar question as above. I would love to buy this set but worried I can't play the 4.0 mixes. Has anyone successfully played the 4.0 mixes from a Sony UBP-X800? I was unable to output the 4.0 mix from the Wish You Were Here BDA. From my other reading on this site it seems the X800 would be the problem, not my Yamaha RX-V1081 AVR.
Most of the 4.0 titles mastered on modern disc have a 5.1 assignment with silent unused channels. So odds are good that they will play fine. I would buy the set and then if the discs do not play I would either shop for a new player or return the set fir a refund. It’s worth grabbing the set and finding out. It’s not like spending $300 here. Small investment really. Then you can report back your findings. But you answer your question, no I have not heard of any reports of problems of folks having issues with this set on any players.

I have the same issue with the Chicago Quadios. Even with output set to PCM, the amp (Sony STR-DN1080) only sees it as 2.0. All other discs and formats fine, really frustrating.

As discussed elsewhere, some modern processor chips don’t recognize 4.0 files. To offset this factor, quad mixes are transferred to disc (and any subsequent FLAC files) with at least one silent channel as 5.0 which causes the gear to play 4.0 quad properly. WYWH from BDA was probably created prior to this becoming known. So 4.0 gets treated as 2.0 stereo.

My Sony X 800 refused to read 4.0 FLAC files until I used a utility discussed here named Music Media Helper to add silent channel to all my older quad files.

Just a slight word of warning: My system plays 4.0 and 5.1 ok but will not play 4.1 or 5.0 properly. I suppose it's understandable, as it's not clear if the extra channel is the .1 or the C. So adding just one channel to make 4.0 -> 5.0 might not work in all cases. But adding two to make it 5.1 should do. As you say, MMH makes this very easy.

I have to switch from the Sony to the Oppo to play 4.0.

My Sony X800 plays Doobie Brothers n Chicago just fine...but my Pink Floyd DSOTM & WYWH Quads do not . I think Pink Floyd is only ones the Sony wont do
EDIT: This senior moment was brought to you by National Semiconductor. [Comments inspired materials]

So, if the Rhino Quadios were made the identical fashion way as the PF quads on Blu-Ray, why would some work for this user and others don't?

Last edited:
As mentioned above, the difference is PF was done in 2011 before it was a problem or before the problem was known. By the time of Chicago (2016) and Doobie Brothers (2020) releases this silent channel was factored into the product.

The Chicago and Doobies releases were done the same way as the Floyd sets, no silent channels.

The Chicago and Doobies releases were done the same way as the Floyd sets, no silent channels.
Apologies, my mistake! While the Sony X800 played could play the BD 192K "4.0" files (fronts only), it choked on the 24/192 FLAC files from HDD so I had to knock them all back to 24/96. While I did that, I must've already added the silent channels to get true 4.0 quad playback and forgot I did that. Just confused myself I did. 😔

Apologies, my mistake! While the Sony X800 played could play the BD 192K "4.0" files (fronts only), it choked on the 24/192 FLAC files from HDD so I had to knock them all back to 24/96. While I did that, I must've already added the silent channels to get true 4.0 quad playback and forgot I did that. Just confused myself I did. 😔
So does that mean, that a lot of folks that have the never AVR's via HDMI (and that don't like non-5.1) can't play the Quadio titles?

So does that mean, that a lot of folks that have the never AVR's via HDMI (and that don't like non-5.1) can't play the Quadio titles?
Contributing to my 'senior moment' above is "which system are we talking about?"
Oppo BDP-103 HDMI to Denon AVR 4310 = plays 4.0 quad
Oppo BDP-93 analogs to Marantz 4140 = plays 4.0 quad
Sony X800 HDMI to Denon AVR 2200 = cannot play 4.0 as quad; seen as 2.0 plays fronts only

Last edited:
My UBP-X800M2 plays the 4.0 discs just fine. Doobies, Chicago, DSOTM 4.0 via HDMI to my Denon AVR-X3700H. Input showing 4.0 and output showing 4.1 due to bass management. Using Direct mode on the AVR.

Contributing to my 'senior moment' above is "which system are we talking about?"
Sony X800 HDMI to Denon AVR 2200 = cannot play 4.0 as quad; seen as 2.0 plays fronts only
The OPPO 103 will work in 4.0 with all receivers. Try it on the 2200, should work.

The OPPO 103 will work in 4.0 with all receivers. Try it on the 2200, should work.
In my case I'm sure that quad playing as 2.0 happened after upgrading receivers. I don't believe I had the 103 at that point but as time permits I'd be happy to put together or dig out some pure quad and test both my Oppo's.
At first I thought because the DVDA I authored with discWelder was a fault of the program but eventually realized it was the AVR.
If the 103 can somehow compensate for this I will find out.

Also very Señor Senior here 🙋‍♂️

probably don't want to clog up this fine Poll thread with more on this but, here's a thread about this subject IINM,

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...ecode-4-0-pcm-mlp-recordings-over-hdmi.26998/

Back