Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

Audiowannabee

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
"Make sure both settings on every connection is set to bitstream not auto"

I have a 7.2.2 setup, and I find that with my Oppo UDP-205 if I have the output set to bitstream, my Pioneer Elite SC-95 decodes it as DTS-MASTER Audio and sends a signal to the surround back speakers if I'm using the "Auto" surround feature on the AVR. In that case, I have to go into the AVR settings and turn my surround back speakers to "off" if I want a true quad experience. If I have the OPPO send a PCM signal, my receiver only plays those 4 elements (FL/FR/RL/RR) and doesn't create the surround back signal on it's own.
Yep again what player your using reacts differently

Oppo vs Sony vs Pioneer
Settings n AVR hookup matters

Find thread re Sony x800

LuvMyQuad

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I finally got to have a listen to this. I've had the Q4 transfers for years, so I knew what to expect. I knew the performances and the mixes well enough, and they were already in the 10 bracket. I cherry picked some tunes and then played the corresponding Q4 tracks for comparison. I was pleasantly surprised how much cleaner everything sounded on the Quadio versions. Bravo Rhino! A 10 from me.

Sixtyten

I know nothing about The Doobie Brothers, but took a punt on this., getting it for a birthday present. It arrived yesterday, I'm now half-way through my second play of Toulouse Street. F***ing hell that's a mix and a half.

par4ken

900 Club - QQ All-Star
I've never considered myself to be a Doobie's fan however I already owned the Q4 of "Toulouse Street" and the CD-4 of "Vices". I received the set yesterday and started off in order (I think) with Toulouse Street. That mix is a bit more bassy than the others but sounds fantastic with that silky smooth sound of the BDP-103 on Blu-ray audio. Much better sounding than the quad reel. The Captain and me was the album I liked the most. I had always stayed clear of it as, "China Grove" had been vastly overplayed on the radio, but the sound mix and content all proved to be fantastic. "Long Train Runnin'" brought back memories and would rate as my favourite track. "What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" trounces the CD-4 version. Then on to "Stampede", all in the same sitting, again fantastic sound.
For the price, sound, and especially the mix, these deserve a ten rating for each!

Last edited:

Overfloater8

It's a minor miracle that logical common-sense decision making prevailed in the doom-ridden world of surround where the kicks to the psychological nuts just keep coming and coming. How refreshing to see the Doobie Bros. Quadio box on a relevant format (BR) and excellent codec (DTS-MA). This release should be held as a model for all the airplane glue-sniffing execs. who take mixes by Steve Wilson and relegate them to lossy codecs or launch Atmos mixes on steaming services (Amazon) they cannot be reproduced upon. How are these execs. not catapulted into the sun? Even the most casual QQ poster would not make these goofs.

Also, Rhino should be applauded for the value of this box set. 4 BR albums for $60; that's excellent value. I think these economic box sets where they transfer old quad mixes to digital without remixing them is an excellent way to clear out the vaults. I also like the liner notes detailing the technical aspects of quad. Makes the release seem special.

Anyway, I listened to these albums one after another while drinking my way through a six-pack. Man, does Toulouse Street (8.5 out of 10) have a lot of hits on it. I had no idea how familiar I was with this album from hearing classic rock radio, wandering malls in my youth, and frequenting strip clubs in college. It reminds me of a poppier, hippy-style, psychedelic Eagles. I thought this was their best album. Toulouse Street even manages a good Christian rock song ("Jesus is Just Alright"). Talk about a miracle!

Sadly, The Doobie Bros. spend the rest of this boxset retreating from this fascinating pop sound for a grittier (and boring) blues-rock. I wonder if this was due to criticism from "serious" rock rags like Rolling Stone. Time has played its hand and the Doobs were right. Should have stuck to their poppy-psych guns. That's not to say the rest of the albums are bad-far from it. In fact, it's interesting to note how much more complex and layered the songwriting gets as the albums march on. Unfortunately, the complexity fails to match the creative burst of Toulouse Street. The drums needed to be better recorded for Toulouse Street, and it can get a bit trebl-y, but otherwise, this is an excellent album and mix.

I'm embarrassed to admit this, but who mixed these albums? There are Exec. Producer and mastering credits but no mixing. These quad mixes are superb! Lots of fun, but not distracting from the song. This mixer needs to be recognized and given more work if they're still alive.

Other notes:
1. Love the phantom center channel. I may prefer quad to 5.1.
2. Love the creeping muscular bass on some of the tracks.
3. Love the bass in the rears which envelops the head and sometimes seems to come from behind. Mixers take note!
4. Excellent separation of instruments
5. These mixes have the most important quality I desire in surround which is a sense of 3D space.
6. All 4 speakers are liberally utilized. Wow!

Grade on a Curve: 9
Albums: 7
Mix: 9.5
Sonics : 9
Value: 10

Juggsnelson

I voted a 10. I cannot imagine this release being done any better. You can quibble hear and there about choices in the mixing but that was out of Rhino's hands obviously. These albums sound beautiful. The band and Ted Templeman should be proud. They were exceptionally well recorded and you can appreciate that here like never before. Its hard to put this one back on the shelf lol!!

tarkusnj

300 Club - QQ All-Star
The poll is for us, as listeners, to express their opinion to the sonic quality I think and NOT the content. I just don't think it is worthy of a high rating in the sonic regard. Maybe it's my equipment or my ears but that is my rating/opinion and I stand by it. I realize on here if you have nothing good to say about a release, you should not say anything. I am sure there are others that feel the same way and they sit on their hands.
I am not the biggest Doobie Brothers fan but I saw them the first time at a free concert in May of 1973 along with many other groups...Jimmy Buffet was another.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
I purchased this Quadio and sold it. Not sure what everyone else hears but I realize on this group to criticize something that the majority praise is not accepted.
The sound is terrible .. period.
It should absolutely NOT be that way. I would hope that everyone should feel free to express their opinions here without getting jumped. If you ever feel that you're being unfairly treated here, please report that post. The mods will deal with the issue, you should not have to.

The poll is for us, as listeners, to express their opinion to the sonic quality I think and NOT the content. I just don't think it is worthy of a high rating in the sonic regard. Maybe it's my equipment or my ears but that is my rating/opinion and I stand by it. I realize on here if you have nothing good to say about a release, you should not say anything. I am sure there are others that feel the same way and they sit on their hands.
I am not the biggest Doobie Brothers fan but I saw them the first time at a free concert in May of 1973 along with many other groups...Jimmy Buffet was another.
You are a long time member with serious cred, at least with me. Your opinion, good or bad, I would value very highly as opposed to someone who flies in here, tanks a vote, then disappears.

musicmemorabiliashoppellc

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Just out of curiosity Of all the multi channel recordings you own, which is the best to your ears?