Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

TVB

The sound can be described in one word... WONDERFUL. I voted 10. The Doobie bros made some incredible music during these years and these albums are on my list of all time favorite's. The jackets and quad sleeves really set these editions apart. I Love the quadradisc logos. I wish all of my quad discs used original quadraphonic notation's. The 4.0 on AF discs is just not as cool as "quadradisc" or "quadraphonic" and DV doesn't use any quad notations at all. The disc labels make the discs look like mini records to me. They are nostalgic and take me back in time when I was searching record store after record store looking for those rare quadradiscs and the excitement I felt when I found a large collection of them in a 2nd hand record shop. If I can get a few more sets like this, I might have to retire my cd 4 equipment

jimfisheye

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
I wasn't a huge fan and never owned any of these albums. Heard the hits pretty much everywhere. Cool feel good kind of stuff. Crack band. A little too straight for my tastes. I remember hearing the full albums here and there and thought they had it going on all the same. In hindsight, a good mix of pop with more interesting bits. So I could easily be missing something that someone more familiar might be listening for.

In short these masters are full fidelity with no major mistakes and no cheapness (ie lossy formats, volume war mastering, etc). Coming from the quad era as it were when some surround mixes could be very... experimental. These mixes are fully on point. Balances and separation taking full proper advantage of a multichannel system. As with many early quad surround mixes, there isn't really any use of creating 3D imaging. It's more 4 corner. But the arrangement is on point for that and again, a really full well balanced mix that makes good use of the 4 channels and extended dynamic range. There are only a small percentage of bands with mixes like this from this era and this is one of them.

If you had any of the encoded formats from back then or troubled tape copies... Those are a 1 and these masters are a 10. There's such a wide gap it's almost silly to compare them. That said, these Quadio series have a scooped eq signature sound. Listen to the first Rhino reissue of the 1st Chicago album in quad vs the later reissue in the Quadio box set. The 1st reissue sounds pristine. The Quadio box has everything mid scooped. This set has the same signature sound. On a scale of 1 to whatever for damage - again, this doesn't even come close to the mutilation of the early format releases! There's no decimal place left on that scale for critique! But these definitely got hit with an unfortunate mid scoop eq move in mastering that brings the cymbals and percussion into your face and gives the whole thing a flat sound. Still the best copies available by magnitudes. Not even close to the mutilation that is an average volume war CD. Nothing shrill or thin like those Beatles remixes. Correctable if someone cared to tinker.

privateuniverse

So my history with The Doobie Brothers is similar to my history with Chicago. I started listening to the radio (both Top 40 and Album Rock) in 1975. Both bands were omnipresent. I thought both were decent, but didn't really love either of them. I was never motivated to purchase a Chicago LP back in the day and the only Doobie Brothers LPs I bought were from the McDonald era. But even those McDonald era albums were never faves. When the Chicago Quadio box came along I felt it would be worth voting with my wallet and supporting the program so I purchased a copy....and WOW! I found a lot of music I had never heard that I fell in love with. (Chicago VII has become a real favorite). The mixes and fidelity were also quite nice so it turned out to be a worthwhile purchase. My hopes were for a similar experience with the Doobies box.

When it arrived last week, I actually listened to the whole thing in one sitting. I was enjoying it, but wasn't blown away by it. I found everything to be good to very good, just not great. Decent 70's style quad mixes but I don't think they scale the heights that the Chicago mixes or many of the DV titles (like the Earth, Wind & Fire) do. Separation sometimes felt muddy, but there are other moments that were sublime, like the a cappella ending of "Black Water". Fidelity good, but not great, even for the time period. And as for the music, I didn't find as much to love here as I did with the Chicago set. There were a few standout tracks for me that I had never heard before like the title track from Toulouse Street. Stampede was the last one I listened to. When I put it on I was a little worried that Doobie fatigue might be setting in, but musically I found it to be the most enjoyable of the four. I was really enjoying "Sweet Maxine", "Texas "Lullaby", "I Cheat the Hangman" and "Take Me in Your Arms". And although pianist Bill Payne made appearances on the other albums, he is employed to a greater degree on Stampede. His performances are great and are a highlight of the set.

So I will dock one point each for content, fidelity and mix which makes it a 7. However, I think the Quadio program is such an awesome idea that I will give it a bonus point and give it an 8. (Hey Rhino, bring on Joni & Randy!)

ar surround

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I heard those four albums by the Doobies, over and over again in the seventies, in quad, and today I don't have any more desire to hear them. I don't know if l will ever feel differently in the future.
On the other side of the spectrum, if I hear Toulouse Street a hundred more times in quad, it won't be enough. :SB :SB :SB

markshan

Does anyone know if there are any playback issues with these Quadio titles and Sony Blu Ray' players? I'm only getting the 2 front channels and nothing from the rears. It only seems to an issue with the last 2 Quadio's... (just checked my little listened to Chicago set ,and same problem)....

I pulled a number of other Blu rays and I'm getting rear channels (I was listening to the Yes album in 5.1 DTS HD MA in full 5.1...) I'm listening on a Sony UBP X800 ...

I don't have another Blu Ray Player to check against, but I just pulled out the Best of Aretha Franklin (DVD) and I get all 4 channels, so this seems localized to the Chicago and Doobie Brothers sets....

Let me know if I could be missing anything? Thank you...
I had the same thing happen with my Oppo. I corrected it by moving the "HDMI Audio" setting from "LPCM" to "Auto". It was immediately obvious that something was amiss because like half the instrumentation from "Natural Thing" was missing. It was a true WTF moment.

Last edited:

ar surround

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
If you had any of the encoded formats from back then or troubled tape copies... Those are a 1 and these masters are a 10. There's such a wide gap it's almost silly to compare them. That said, these Quadio series have a scooped eq signature sound. Listen to the first Rhino reissue of the 1st Chicago album in quad vs the later reissue in the Quadio box set. The 1st reissue sounds pristine. The Quadio box has everything mid scooped. This set has the same signature sound. On a scale of 1 to whatever for damage - again, this doesn't even come close to the mutilation of the early format releases! There's no decimal place left on that scale for critique! But these definitely got hit with an unfortunate mid scoop eq move in mastering that brings the cymbals and percussion into your face and gives the whole thing a flat sound. Still the best copies available by magnitudes. Not even close to the mutilation that is an average volume war CD. Nothing shrill or thin like those Beatles remixes. Correctable if someone cared to tinker.
That's interesting, Jim. I feel that the first issue of Chicago Transit Authority in DTS has a slight harshness to it compared to the subsequent Quadio Bluray. My nits about the CTA Quadio Bluray are somewhat excessive bass and somewhat muted vocals; but I still consider it easier on the ears than the first reissue.

I know what you mean by the mid scoop eq in mastering on this Doobies set, and I find that trying to adjust for it with tone controls or tilt equalization doesn't quite get me there...probably could use some mid-range adjustment using Audacity, but not worth the effort. This set is still a 10 compared to what came before.

Matt Wilson

Yeah, I went with 10 too. If nothing else, not only do they sound great and I want to encourage Rhino to do more of these quad boxes, but because of the price as well. Four albums for about 50 bucks? Sheeee-it. I'm used to paying over a hundred for one album in 5.1 in a huge, space-filling box set with extraneous vinyl, etc. etc. This can't be beat!

kap'n krunch

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Totally disagree it doesnt matter to me wether you like the music, I can make that decision for myself, ie I would not get anything thats Hip Hop no matter if it was the best sounding disc ever. It wouldnt be fair for me to give it a 5 because i hated the music. Why would I buy it in the first place.
well..a dream within a dream...
the starting point SHOULD be that you LIKE the kind of music you buy, cause it really don't make sense spending your hard earned cash in stuff you don't like in spite of them having it released in MCH...YES, thera are a lot of people here that do(buy everything MCH) that but they are NOT the norm, at least from where I stand..., so yes, if you are not happy with that release from a group you follow, well, it should be reflected in a very small percentage in your poll result cause , groups you like will never let you down 100%...if you think they have you have a serious problem...hell, even when Genesis went totally Pop I appreciated a lot of it..now, the fact that I don't like Nick Davis' MCH mix is another thing....
but mainly, that is the reason I would NEVER get any Stones MCH (or LP, CD or whatever) and that s why I will never leave a review of any of those discs in any poll...cause I don't like the Stones...
I LIKE the Doobies and I am so thankful they released this wonderful boxset and I am starting to appreciate their music in those LPs even more now...

Of course there is also the "Discovering" of bands you thought you'd never have guessed you'd like because you got them in MCH...(Depeche Mode, Porcupine Tree...etc.-for example-, anyone???) but I think that is another thread...

sjcorne

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
I feel that the first issue of Chicago Transit Authority in DTS has a slight harshness to it compared to the subsequent Quadio Bluray. My nits about the CTA Quadio Bluray are somewhat excessive bass and somewhat muted vocals; but I still consider it easier on the ears than the first reissue.
My first exposure to the CTA quad mix was the Blu-Ray edition, and I assumed at the time that the muted vocals just were an unfortunate mixing decision made back in the '70s. The DTS DVD reveals that wasn't the case at all. It sounds to me like the rears were boosted on the Blu-Ray in addition to the 'smiley' EQ curve, resulting in louder horns and quieter vocals. Same problem with the second album, though the sonics of the original stereo & quad mixes were never that great to begin with (especially compared to the remixed stereo & 5.1 on the DVD-A).

Regarding the mastering on the Doobies set, I've been listening to a DTS-CD compilation of my favorite tracks from all four albums in the car all week and stand by my comment that Captain doesn't sound as good as the others. The ending build-up in "Without You" has me really backing off the volume. Still beats the Q4 conversion I had where "Natural Thing" and "Long Train Runnin'" ran 1-2% slow.

boondocks

Enjoying my Doobies and did a rip to FLAC of all of them. Later I got to thinking......
These are pure quad, right? I mean no silent channels. I seem to remember remapping the rips to 5.1, or is that a dream I had?
What I'm getting at, is, my Onkyo will not play quad, only the front speakers will play from a discrete source.
So why do the Quadio discs play as they should in full glorius quad for me with no problems???

boondocks

OK, since I wasn't sleeping anyway I decided to re-rip one of the Doobies. Since I already had the folders ripped to a HDD I didn't have to fool with a disc. I opened up AudioMuxer, selected a playlist from the Stampede folder and let AudioMuxer do it's thing. When it finished copying the lossless DTS and converted to FLAC, one doubleclick and I had Foobar open and playing the song. At a glance I could see it was shown as a quad channel structure, no silent channels with which to make the Onkyo happy.
So again I'm wondering, what gives? Is there some way a blu ray structure can fool the Onkyo into thinking it's seeing at minimum 5.0 instead of quad?

JanBakker

QQ Supporter
OK, since I wasn't sleeping anyway I decided to re-rip one of the Doobies. Since I already had the folders ripped to a HDD I didn't have to fool with a disc. I opened up AudioMuxer, selected a playlist from the Stampede folder and let AudioMuxer do it's thing. When it finished copying the lossless DTS and converted to FLAC, one doubleclick and I had Foobar open and playing the song. At a glance I could see it was shown as a quad channel structure, no silent channels with which to make the Onkyo happy.
So again I'm wondering, what gives? Is there some way a blu ray structure can fool the Onkyo into thinking it's seeing at minimum 5.0 instead of quad?
Are you sure it's the Onkyo? Mine plays 4.0 just fine. When I play a 5.0 file Foobar sees it as stream and I have to add a silent channel so could it be that your pc is causing the problem?

JediJoker

Is there some way a blu ray structure can fool the Onkyo into thinking it's seeing at minimum 5.0 instead of quad?
No. The difference is that when you play it as a Blu-ray disc (or backed up disc), the DTS-HD Master Audio encoding remains intact, and if this is bitstreamed to your receiver, it gets decoded correctly. The issue arises when 4.0 is fed to your receiver as PCM, whether from a disc (or backed up disc) or FLAC file.