Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

PodCat

Banned
Since 2002/2003
I heard those four albums by the Doobies, over and over again in the seventies, in quad, and today I don't have any more desire to hear them. I don't know if l will ever feel differently in the future.
Sorry to inform you that if you haven’t heard these discs, you haven’t really heard the albums. I had the Dolby quad reels, and they simply don’t compare at all. I’m kind of amazed that I once thought 7-1/2 ips reels from analog dubs sounded great.

I’m really looking forward to more WEA quad masters on Blu-Ray. I‘ve loved Lightfoot Sundown quad for 42 years, but the quad reel just sounds old and tired to me. I know the master would kick ass and sound fresh again.

knifeman

300 Club - QQ All-Star
I too have noticed a funny haze on my discs. I've gotten rid of the inner plastic sleeves. I don't know what else could be causing this problem. They still play fine, Though. :cautious:🥃🥃
Same here. I was able to wipe off the haze with a dry tissue. I put the discs directly into the inner sleeves, minus the plastic,

boondocks

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
No. The difference is that when you play it as a Blu-ray disc (or backed up disc), the DTS-HD Master Audio encoding remains intact, and if this is bitstreamed to your receiver, it gets decoded correctly. The issue arises when 4.0 is fed to your receiver as PCM, whether from a disc (or backed up disc) or FLAC file.
Hmmm. That 4.0 pcm doesn't play correctly is certainly true, and I do bitstream from the Oppo's.

colsky

And it's a 10 from the Chelmsford, England, jury (y).

I've listened to all 4 discs twice so far. Each time in wonderful quad. Will I ever get time to listen to the stereo options I wonder :rolleyes:.

Musically I'm preferring the first 2 so far. I'm hearing a bit of Wishbone Ash in those 2. I love especially Clear as the Driven Snow on Captain.

The56Kid

Received this fantastic box Friday, but have only made my way thru Vices & Toulouse due to my son visiting.

So far, so good - love the overall fidelity and separation. My one nitpick has to do with something previously mentioned by @sjcorne: I’m definitely not a fan of jamming drums into one speaker in general, but it’s really egregious when a band features TWO drummers. Luckily, it’s not universal and the songs that feature drums across the full front stage sound fuller and better balanced.

Not ready to vote until I hear Captain and Stampede, but I’m impressed so far!

EricKalet

600 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Are you sure? It is my understanding that there is no support for MLP over HDMI. I'll have to check later to see how my Marantz reports DVD-A from my Oppo.
Keep in mind MLP is basically lossless PCM but compressed 2:1. Before HDMI only players could decode MLP in the player and then send it analog out 5.1. Unless you had Denon Link and both a Denon AVR and DVD player.

Quadly McQuadmeister

In terms of the merits of the engineering/transfer/original recording audio quality, that's an easy 9-10. I would place the "gravitas" rating of the Music/Performances/Lyrics (something SO subjective that each opinion gets to be its own virtual "reference standard") just below the best of my (personal) favorites that are subjects of other polls, so I'd have to give that a lowly "9". So I will vote "9". Not because I don't think it deserves a ten if judged solely on its own merits. I just think there are a few Artists whose collective outputs deliver a little more on the non"quad" virtues of the Musical Art and I don't think most of those get enough affection from those within the Industry (or popular music fans), not of our generation. I'd include Blood, Sweat & Tears, Alan Parsons, and maybe a few other Artists that borrowed broadly from other musical idioms, but didn't commit commercial suicide by marketing themselves as something other than "Rock". Bach's music was ignored for a couple of Centuries after his passing, and then was rediscovered and celebrated on a scale that far exceeded the success that his music enjoyed during his lifetime. I'm wagering (Obviously, I won't be around to see it) that many of these "more thoughtful and process-focused" Artists (Steely Dan could be a contender, too) will enjoy a renewed renaissance of appreciation-IF the Music itself survives physically-in an as yet unimaginable future. One hopes, anyway. I think of Artists like Zappa, Four Freshmen, Ferguson/Kenton, Woody Herman, and others and think that the quality of their catalogs will experience a renewed appreciation if there is enough social/economic headroom (like there was during the best times of our lives) to allow for the luxury of single task-focused "active" listening. There's so much competition for everyone's attention span bandwidth in contemporary times, that's likely the biggest threat to both Music Performance and Music Appreciation in the future. I think it's in the process of being "blip-verted" (you have to be old enough to remember "Max Headroom" to know what that is) into irrelevancy and that's why I periodically post about it. As for what can we do about it, well...not much...except let the good times roll and set a good example for those around us... : - )

Last edited:

JediJoker

Are you sure? It is my understanding that there is no support for MLP over HDMI. I'll have to check later to see how my Marantz reports DVD-A from my Oppo.
Keep in mind MLP is basically lossless PCM but compressed 2:1. Before HDMI only players could decode MLP in the player and then send it analog out 5.1. Unless you had Denon Link and both a Denon AVR and DVD player.
Right, but HDMI has no support for bitstreaming MLP, either. The only losslessly compressed surround formats it supports are the various flavors of Dolby, DTS, Auro-3D, and DST (compressed DSD). Otherwise, surround can be sent as uncompressed LPCM, DSD, or DoP (DSD-over-PCM). As expected, my Marantz SR6014 reports PCM input from my Oppo BDP-103D playing back DVD-A MLP 5.1. It would be the same with MLP 4.0, getting decoded to LPCM in the player and sent over HDMI uncompressed. This is why you have issues with your AVR and MLP 4.0, because it is sent no differently from any other 4.0 PCM signal (FLAC, Blu-ray LPCM, etc.).

By contrast, any AVR that can decode any flavor of Dolby or DTS will be able to map correctly the channels of 4.0 encoded in those formats, thanks to the metadata they contain. This includes the Quadio releases using DTS-HD Master Audio 4.0, which is why they play back correctly on your AVR.

Admins and moderators: apologies for polluting this poll thread. Feel free to move this discussion to a new thread or to merge with this thread.

boondocks

Right, but HDMI has no support for bitstreaming MLP, either. The only losslessly compressed surround formats it supports are the various flavors of Dolby, DTS, Auro-3D, and DST (compressed DSD). Otherwise, surround can be sent as uncompressed LPCM, DSD, or DoP (DSD-over-PCM). As expected, my Marantz SR6014 reports PCM input from my Oppo BDP-103D playing back DVD-A MLP 5.1. It would be the same with MLP 4.0, getting decoded to LPCM in the player and sent over HDMI uncompressed. This is why you have issues with your AVR and MLP 4.0, because it is sent no differently from any other 4.0 PCM signal (FLAC, Blu-ray LPCM, etc.).

By contrast, any AVR that can decode any flavor of Dolby or DTS will be able to map correctly the channels of 4.0 encoded in those formats, thanks to the metadata they contain. This includes the Quadio releases using DTS-HD Master Audio 4.0, which is why they play back correctly on your AVR.

Admins and moderators: apologies for polluting this poll thread. Feel free to move this discussion to a new thread or to merge with this thread.
I don't think you are polluting anything. I made an honest comment about something that puzzles me and you gave a good answer.
Is that not being part of the community? BTW-Thanks.