Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

ClarkNovak

900 Club - QQ All-Star
Since 2002/2003
I think they should have included a "bonus disc" of the first Doobies album mixed in 4 channels, what could have been in quad but never made it sort of thing. Its a good album too.
I think they were just doing a release of material in the can - if they'd gone back to try and remix existing audio, the band's permission would have to have been obtained, creative involvement given, a mixer hired...too much expense for too little return (in Warnerthink).

I have, however, a DTS disc of "Takin' It To The Streets" which purports to be an unreleased Quad mix, and it is very, very discrete. Since that album was released in 1976, the tail end of the Quad era, it's entirely possible that it's real and laying in a vault somewhere, forgotten...

sjcorne

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
I have, however, a DTS disc of "Takin' It To The Streets" which purports to be an unreleased Quad mix, and it is very, very discrete. Since that album was released in 1976, the tail end of the Quad era, it's entirely possible that it's real and laying in a vault somewhere, forgotten...
Steve Woolard mentioned back in March 2018 that he looked for unreleased Doobies quad mixes and didn't find any. I'm not surprised, since Warner was the first of the majors to get out of quad - their last CD-4 LP release was sometime in 1975.

I have that same DTS-CD of Streets and my conclusion is that it's a really well-done upmix from stereo. None of the elements in the rear channels are fully detached from the fronts (unlike the four Doobies mixes in this set), and the drums occasionally have a touch of that 'metallic' processed sound. Upmixers like SPECWEB and Penteo can do some amazing things with the right material.

What I'd really love to know is whether or not Minute By Minute was actually mixed to 5.1 back in the mid-2000s. It appeared on a Warner DVD-A pre-release list back then, and some of those announced/unreleased titles (Fleetwood Mac's self-titled and Tusk) did turn out to be real...

Knoles

Well this box is great. It could be the best box of the year, but I know there are more coming so I withhold judgment. However, this establishes a high bar.
It is unsettling listening to these albums after years of hearing the songs on Am/Fm radio, 8 tracks, and vinyl where they sounded so murky. It is an adjustment I am glad to make.

PodCat

Banned
Since 2002/2003
I have, however, a DTS disc of "Takin' It To The Streets" which purports to be an unreleased Quad mix, and it is very, very discrete.
I have a copy of that same disc, kindly sent to from England by a former (!) prominent QQ member. It’s definitely fake. The most obvious clue is that the mix in total never varies from the original.

Dillydipper

It's good you are messing around to see what works best. [snippety-snip...and...]
My guidelines for adjusting my sound system are: [snippety-snip again!]

Welcome to this wonderful hobby and this great forum! Looking forward to your further comments and contributions.
This is the most helpful post of the day! For once, it admits there's more than one way to skin the cat, more cats than just the one to skin, more than one reason things are so complex...and opens the newb's mind to getting a handle on it, instead of seeking the first, simplest solution.

This very idea, needs a thread of its' own.

jaybird100

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
I think they were just doing a release of material in the can - if they'd gone back to try and remix existing audio, the band's permission would have to have been obtained, creative involvement given, a mixer hired...too much expense for too little return (in Warnerthink).

An unreleased DTS CD of "Takin' It To The Streets"? I'm drooling...

weekendtoy

500 Club - QQ All-Star
In terms of the merits of the engineering/transfer/original recording audio quality, that's an easy 9-10. I would place the "gravitas" rating of the Music/Performances/Lyrics (something SO subjective that each opinion gets to be its own virtual "reference standard") just below the best of my (personal) favorites that are subjects of other polls, so I'd have to give that a lowly "9". So I will vote "9". Not because I don't think it deserves a ten if judged solely on its own merits. I just think there are a few Artists whose collective outputs deliver a little more on the non"quad" virtues of the Musical Art and I don't think most of those get enough affection from those within the Industry (or popular music fans), not of our generation. I'd include Blood, Sweat & Tears, Alan Parsons, and maybe a few other Artists that borrowed broadly from other musical idioms, but didn't commit commercial suicide by marketing themselves as something other than "Rock". Bach's music was ignored for a couple of Centuries after his passing, and then was rediscovered and celebrated on a scale that far exceeded the success that his music enjoyed during his lifetime. I'm wagering (Obviously, I won't be around to see it) that many of these "more thoughtful and process-focused" Artists (Steely Dan could be a contender, too) will enjoy a renewed renaissance of appreciation-IF the Music itself survives physically-in an as yet unimaginable future. One hopes, anyway. I think of Artists like Zappa, Four Freshmen, Ferguson/Kenton, Woody Herman, and others and think that the quality of their catalogs will experience a renewed appreciation if there is enough social/economic headroom (like there was during the best times of our lives) to allow for the luxury of single task-focused "active" listening. There's so much competition for everyone's attention span bandwidth in contemporary times, that's likely the biggest threat to both Music Performance and Music Appreciation in the future. I think it's in the process of being "blip-verted" (you have to be old enough to remember "Max Headroom" to know what that is) into irrelevancy and that's why I periodically post about it. As for what can we do about it, well...not much...except let the good times roll and set a good example for those around us... : - )
Holy buckets that is super hard to read. I may or may not agree with you...

Rhinojack

It’s finally here! I doubt anyone expected otherwise, but this was absolutely worth the wait. Four great albums in a well-put-together and value-priced package. As with the Chicago set, the detail in the individual jackets and disc sleeves shows this is a real labor of love for Rhino. Plus, it’s nice to not have another big box to put in the closet.

If you haven’t heard the quad mixes before, be prepared for what can only be described as a full-on surround experience. The Chicago quads were mixed in a semi-modern style with the rhythm section upfront and elements like guitars and horns in the rears. These mixes have a completely different vibe. The rear channels carry just as much audio if not more than the fronts at times, and you'll frequently find full-range information like the drums or bass guitar back there. There are even a few passages with the lead vocals in the rears! Having the bass guitar suspended directly behind your head on most songs might seem a bit odd at first, but I think it really works.

Since I'm already familiar with the quad mixes, the only concern I had going into this set was Craig Anderson’s mastering. The Chicago set was by no means bad-sounding, but it wasn’t quite a slam-dunk either: I found that the lead vocals frequently tended to get overwhelmed by the blaring horns in the rear channels, even though this wasn’t the case on the old quad LPs and tape versions of those albums.

Aside from the occasional moment where I felt the rears were maybe a touch too loud (“Sweet Maxine” on Stampede), I’m really happy with how these discs sound. The tonal balance here is far superior to any conversions I’ve heard of these four albums. The front center-panned vocals and instrumental lines really ‘pop’ and actually sound like they’re coming from the center speaker, which is exactly what one would hope for in a good quad remaster. Perhaps it’s due to EQ or just the reduced noise floor, but I found myself frequently noticing new details that weren’t as audible even on the 7.5 IPS reel-to-reel transfers. It’s crazy hearing the epic acapella trade-off section in “Black Water” with a completely silent background.

My only critique is that The Captain & Me isn’t quite as good as the other discs from a fidelity standpoint. Obviously YMMV with this, but to me it almost sounds like they set up the EQ for one of the acoustic-dominated songs (“South City Midnight Lady”, “Clear As The Driven Snow”) and ran the entire album through that same curve, resulting in the harder-rocking tunes like “China Grove” and “Without You” sounding a bit too shrill at high volume. Elliot Scheiner's 5.1 mix on the old DVD-Audio will remain my go-to version of that album.

If you enjoy surround music, there’s really no reason not to add this to your collection. I'm tempted to dock a point for Captain, but the other albums sound so good that I can't vote anything less than a 10.
"It’s crazy hearing the epic acapella trade-off section in “Black Water” with a completely silent background." Yes, I noticed that today too for the first time. I was wondering if something wasn't set-up right on my OPPO BDP-103d Darbee edition player. I then played it in stereo and it sounded like we all know. I wonder why it is so silent.

Which_One_Is_Pink

701 Club - QQ All-Star
I'd vote 40 (10 for each :sneaky:) but since the poll will only allow a 10, 10 it is! This is the best example of what can be done in the domain of surround, all the nitpicks aside that have been put forth. For me this is the pentacle to date (at least for the species Chordata Homo Surroundicus) of what the joy of music in surround can bring! Kudos to Rhino well done sirs and madams well done indeed...can I get a huzzah!

PS: Props also to Dutton Vocalion and Sony Japan for helping to advance this vaccine that is the cure for our 2 ears that we're told are only good enuff for stereo o_O Stereo?! Where were going we don't need stereo!!!

weekendtoy

500 Club - QQ All-Star
Dang... talk about nitpicky! Just put it on your player, kick back, "Listen to the Music", and enjoy!
I have been enjoying. Thanks. But if I start talking like this and you have a wall of words, sometimes it gets hard to understand the information the individual is trying to convey. For instance, I'm a CPA by trade. I can provide you a wall of numbers, those numbers may make perfect sense to me, but to anyone else, it's just a wall of numbers. Sometimes you need to provide information in a concise manner so people can make informed decisions. Or maybe use some sentence structure and so forth. Know what I mean? But I digress, so lets discuss the release. In terms of the merits of the engineering/transfer/original recording audio quality, that's an easy 9-10. I would place the "gravitas" rating of the Music/Performances/Lyrics (something SO subjective that each opinion gets to be its own virtual "reference standard") just below the best of my (personal) favorites that are subjects of other polls, so I'd have to give that a lowly "9". So I will vote "9". Not because I don't think it deserves a ten if judged solely on its own merits. I just think there are a few Artists whose collective outputs deliver a little more on the non"quad" virtues of the Musical Art and I don't think most of those get enough affection from those within the Industry (or popular music fans), not of our generation. I'd include Blood, Sweat & Tears, Alan Parsons, and maybe a few other Artists that borrowed broadly from other musical idioms, but didn't commit commercial suicide by marketing themselves as something other than "Rock". Bach's music was ignored for a couple of Centuries after his passing, and then was rediscovered and celebrated on a scale that far exceeded the success that his music enjoyed during his lifetime. I'm wagering (Obviously, I won't be around to see it) that many of these "more thoughtful and process-focused" Artists (Steely Dan could be a contender, too) will enjoy a renewed renaissance of appreciation-IF the Music itself survives physically-in an as yet unimaginable future. One hopes, anyway. I think of Artists like Zappa, Four Freshmen, Ferguson/Kenton, Woody Herman, and others and think that the quality of their catalogs will experience a renewed appreciation if there is enough social/economic headroom (like there was during the best times of our lives) to allow for the luxury of single task-focused "active" listening. There's so much competition for everyone's attention span bandwidth in contemporary times, that's likely the biggest threat to both Music Performance and Music Appreciation in the future. I think it's in the process of being "blip-verted" (you have to be old enough to remember "Max Headroom" to know what that is) into irrelevancy and that's why I periodically post about it. As for what can we do about it, well...not much...except let the good times roll and set a good example for those around us... : - )

SHB

I gave the Doobie Brothers Quadio a 10. For me, these may be the finest quad mixes I heard so far. Plus, I am blown away by the songs. Prior to the pre-order, I was only familiar with the hits. I pre-ordered it because I was hankering for new some multi-channel music. My expectations for the albums were fairly low. I thought each album would have a hit or two with a lot of filler. Was I wrong. I can’t stop listening to these albums. Best box set I’ve bought in a while.

Quadly McQuadmeister

Holy buckets that is super hard to read. I may or may not agree with you...
It's unambiguous enough. Your comment (not wishing to offend) could be interpreted as a symptom of the "blip-vert" phenomenon I wrote about. It's ironic that the computer revolution has coincided with the near literal decimation of attention spans since about the time of the invention of "pong". These days, nobody tries to write in a prose style aspiring to the style of the better writers from previous generations. So...there's that. My prose style is what it is. I was reading encyclopedias by the time I was six. (Understanding what was in them admittedly took longer, within context even longer than that.) It was a complex analysis of a complex topic and that was purposeful. It wasn't meant to pre-digest or lead to you a conclusion, it was meant to give context, depth, and texture. Conclusions are the reader's (or in the original post-the listener's) heavy lift, not mine. I held my end up. : - ) Accessibility in the name of non-specificity is how we've wound up where we now find ourselves. Not just within the context of Music (popular and otherwise), but pretty nearly everything else. To borrow a turn of phrase from an old Zappa tune: "You will do, as you are told, until, the rights, to you, are sold". Being analytical has been discouraged, EVEN IN ACADEMIA, now for a number of decades. Popular culture helped enable post-mid-Century generations to do it to themselves. In 140 characters or less.

LuvMyQuad

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
There used to be an effort put forth by members to keep poll threads on point. We seem to have lost that capability. Now the polls just seem like free-for-alls, even to the point of offering critiques and lessons about writing.

So for those not in the know here (and for those who should know better), postings in poll threads are meant to describe and comment on the aspects of the poll ratings and your thoughts regarding the release being reviewed.

Audiowannabee

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
I have been enjoying. Thanks. But if I start talking like this and you have a wall of words, sometimes it gets hard to understand the information the individual is trying to convey. For instance, I'm a CPA by trade. I can provide you a wall of numbers, those numbers may make perfect sense to me, but to anyone else, it's just a wall of numbers. Sometimes you need to provide information in a concise manner so people can make informed decisions. Or maybe use some sentence structure and so forth. Know what I mean? But I digress, so lets discuss the release. In terms of the merits of the engineering/transfer/original recording audio quality, that's an easy 9-10. I would place the "gravitas" rating of the Music/Performances/Lyrics (something SO subjective that each opinion gets to be its own virtual "reference standard") just below the best of my (personal) favorites that are subjects of other polls, so I'd have to give that a lowly "9". So I will vote "9". Not because I don't think it deserves a ten if judged solely on its own merits. I just think there are a few Artists whose collective outputs deliver a little more on the non"quad" virtues of the Musical Art and I don't think most of those get enough affection from those within the Industry (or popular music fans), not of our generation. I'd include Blood, Sweat & Tears, Alan Parsons, and maybe a few other Artists that borrowed broadly from other musical idioms, but didn't commit commercial suicide by marketing themselves as something other than "Rock". Bach's music was ignored for a couple of Centuries after his passing, and then was rediscovered and celebrated on a scale that far exceeded the success that his music enjoyed during his lifetime. I'm wagering (Obviously, I won't be around to see it) that many of these "more thoughtful and process-focused" Artists (Steely Dan could be a contender, too) will enjoy a renewed renaissance of appreciation-IF the Music itself survives physically-in an as yet unimaginable future. One hopes, anyway. I think of Artists like Zappa, Four Freshmen, Ferguson/Kenton, Woody Herman, and others and think that the quality of their catalogs will experience a renewed appreciation if there is enough social/economic headroom (like there was during the best times of our lives) to allow for the luxury of single task-focused "active" listening. There's so much competition for everyone's attention span bandwidth in contemporary times, that's likely the biggest threat to both Music Performance and Music Appreciation in the future. I think it's in the process of being "blip-verted" (you have to be old enough to remember "Max Headroom" to know what that is) into irrelevancy and that's why I periodically post about it. As for what can we do about it, well...not much...except let the good times roll and set a good example for those around us... : - )

Last edited:

skherbeck

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I don't think anyone has mentioned this, and it's really just a small nitpick easily fixed if you rip the discs to FLAC and adjust the track levels, but some of the songs that should be quieter relative to the other tunes on the albums are REALLY loud... for example, while listening to Toulouse Street at a comfortable level, the song "White Sun" came on and I had to turn it down. Another example is "Slack Key Soquel Rag" on Stampede... I have no idea if this is the way the tracks appeared on the original albums as these are the only versions I've owned. Maybe it's just me. Anyway, I love this release. An easy 10.