Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

Quadly McQuadmeister

Pinched for time resources. When not doing so, I have and shall continue to "embrace paragraphs". Content matters. Form matters, but matters LESS. That post was sourced from a phone and editing capability on that particular device is problematic. But I appreciate your response. I won't burden you further...
: - )

HugoPhyrst

Short and sweet. I really enjoyed this box set. Top-rate all around from the mix, the packaging and the music. The only thing is that the content is very good but not my very favorite. At least not yet. I've enjoyed all four albums twice in surround and a few times in stereo. Waffling on the number but I've settled on 9.

ar surround

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I don't think anyone has mentioned this, and it's really just a small nitpick easily fixed if you rip the discs to FLAC and adjust the track levels, but some of the songs that should be quieter relative to the other tunes on the albums are REALLY loud... for example, while listening to Toulouse Street at a comfortable level, the song "White Sun" came on and I had to turn it down. Another example is "Slack Key Soquel Rag" on Stampede... I have no idea if this is the way the tracks appeared on the original albums as these are the only versions I've owned. Maybe it's just me. Anyway, I love this release. An easy 10.
Regarding White Sun, that track is also way too loud on the Q4 as well as the CD4. It is also too loud on the MoFi stereo SACD. So I guess that these were conscious decisions when mixing the album.

Rhinojack

All 10s, looks good.

Well, now that you've heard the greatest quad track of them all, Black Water, whaddya think?
I’m still hoping to hear a reason as to why the acapella chorus on “Black Water” is so faded on the Quad version and very prominent on the stereo version of this Quadio set. Any thoughts?

ar surround

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I’m still hoping to hear a reason as to why the acapella chorus on “Black Water” is so faded on the Quad version and very prominent on the stereo version of this Quadio set. Any thoughts?
You make a good point. But I've noticed this on a number of other quads and 5.1's. (The Moody Blues...several tracks; Chicago Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is; and Fleetwood Mac Rhiannon on the 5.1 are examples.) Probably someone not paying enough attention due to production crunch? I don't know, but I wish they would have been more careful.

J. PUPSTER

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I’m voting 10; but I believe in some of what Jim says here-
The mastering is inconsistent with some scooped mids which causes the vocals often (Phantom Center mainly) to get too buried in the mix. But given how much I love the music and the support by Rhino for providing us with great classic Quad; I’m only going to deduct half a point (9.5), round up and still give it the 10 it deserves.

Last edited:

sjcorne

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Yes, I noticed that today too for the first time. I was wondering if something wasn't set-up right on my OPPO BDP-103d Darbee edition player. I then played it in stereo and it sounded like we all know. I wonder why it is so silent.
I think you misunderstood my original post. I'm used to listening to either the CD-4 LP or quad reel-to-reel of Vices, where "Black Water" is marred by either distracting surface noise or tape hiss. Fortunately, that's no longer the case on the new Blu-Ray. I don't feel that the vocal parts themselves have receded at all in comparison to the stereo mix. If anything, I'd say the backing vocals in the rear channels are actually a bit louder than they were originally. Maybe there's a bit more reverb too?

atlantasteve

I was a casual DB listener in the ‘70’s. I had the Best of the Doobies album of course. Followed them when Michael McDonald joined and stayed around until around 1980. This box set has been a twofold discovery. First, the sound. Stunning in every way. I have a new system so it is getting quite the workout. Instrumentation is pronounced and isolated. The vocals are a little soft but that is ok since the singers are not spectacular and the lyrics are not substantial. The other discovery is the overall quality of the albums, especially Stampede. I found my mind wandering at the first three albums but I am hanging onto every note of Stampede. I now have a new album to love. Rock on!

Last edited:

Scott65

900 Club - QQ All-Star
Wow. An easy 10 from me - would be higher if there was an option. My ranking of albums in this set are (they are all good though):
1. What were once vices are now habits (sounds like my life....)
2. The Captain and me (a very close second)
3. Toulouse Street
4. Stampede

This has to be my favourite surround mix acquired this year (so far....).

My only 'problem' is which version of The Captain and me do I prefer - the quad or the 5.1 DVD-Audio? Thankfully I have both versions. :)

Scott65

900 Club - QQ All-Star
I too have noticed a funny haze on my discs. I've gotten rid of the inner plastic sleeves. I don't know what else could be causing this problem. They still play fine, Though. :cautious:🥃🥃
Because I will be playing these discs a lot, I store them in CD jewel cases - saves wear and tear on the excellent packaging.

tezzalavell

Well my 2nd post . Gotta say the immersive sound and warmth . Yes warmth , didn't know my system had it in it !! The surround sound unbelievable and the crispness of instruments, amazing. Now I am going to tell you why I am only going to vote 9.

Only knew the popular songs, LTR , LTTM , CG , BW etc . I was more familiar with the Ronald McDonald years. Mix and fidelity, sonically top marks all the way . The content is good as well apart from the vocal aspect. In a lot of the songs (the out and out rockers, lots of them) the vocals are buried and unclear so much I was running for my iPad and checking the song lyrics . I am a 5.1 man not sure whether quad suffers from having a phantom centre but I did and so docked a mark.

9 only from me . Pineapple Thief – Versions of the Truth just arrived so that will be my next review

4-earredwonder

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
FINALLY arrived this morning in time for my morning java and donuts. As to be expected, arrived in perfecto condition. Packaging is superb....attention to detail likewise and the Sound.....NEED YOU ASK? Thanks to Steel Woole [Steve] and RHINO for FINALLY making this set a REALITY!

A MORE THAN PERFECT 10!

Last edited:

CRWSurround

My Doobies Quadio set just arrived yesterday and I am not yet ready to enter a rating until I have critically listened to all four (4) discs. Toulouse Street is one of my favorite albums from "back in the day" so I could not resist listening first to a few of my favorite tracks. Last night I did listen to all of "What Were Once Vices, etc." and the sound of everything I have heard thus far is exceptional. Here is the strange thing that I want to mention. I have a 6.1 set up. I fully expected the front center channel speaker to be silent - as these are Quad recordings - and as expected nothing comes out of it. The imaging of these recordings is so well done that a center channel is not necessary - because it is already there! The odd thing is that there is plenty of output from the rear center channel!! What is that? This is Quad!! I like it - but it does not seem to fit the Quad format and this does not happen with the Quad SACD's I have. Any ideas? I will provide my score and comments after I have completed all of my listening.

Audiowannabee

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
My Doobies Quadio set just arrived yesterday and I am not yet ready to enter a rating until I have critically listened to all four (4) discs. Toulouse Street is one of my favorite albums from "back in the day" so I could not resist listening first to a few of my favorite tracks. Last night I did listen to all of "What Were Once Vices, etc." and the sound of everything I have heard thus far is exceptional. Here is the strange thing that I want to mention. I have a 6.1 set up. I fully expected the front center channel speaker to be silent - as these are Quad recordings - and as expected nothing comes out of it. The imaging of these recordings is so well done that a center channel is not necessary - because it is already there! The odd thing is that there is plenty of output from the rear center channel!! What is that? This is Quad!! I like it - but it does not seem to fit the Quad format and this does not happen with the Quad SACD's I have. Any ideas? I will provide my score and comments after I have completed all of my listening.
Some players dont play nice w some Quad discs also variable s w Hdmi handshaking issues occasionally between player n AVR

Make sure both settings on every connection is set to bitstream not auto

Itd help if we knew what ur using to play it on

Im sure you'll figure it out...but yeah its in the settings somewhere

U should only be getting 4.0

Lord British

Some players dont play nice w some Quad discs also variable s w Hdmi handshaking issues occasionally between player n AVR

Make sure both settings on every connection is set to bitstream not auto

Itd help if we knew what ur using to play it on

Im sure you'll figure it out...but yeah its in the settings somewhere

U should only be getting 4.0
"Make sure both settings on every connection is set to bitstream not auto"

I have a 7.2.2 setup, and I find that with my Oppo UDP-205 if I have the output set to bitstream, my Pioneer Elite SC-95 decodes it as DTS-MASTER Audio and sends a signal to the surround back speakers if I'm using the "Auto" surround feature on the AVR. In that case, I have to go into the AVR settings and turn my surround back speakers to "off" if I want a true quad experience. If I have the OPPO send a PCM signal, my receiver only plays those 4 elements (FL/FR/RL/RR) and doesn't create the surround back signal on it's own.

Rhinojack

I think you misunderstood my original post. I'm used to listening to either the CD-4 LP or quad reel-to-reel of Vices, where "Black Water" is marred by either distracting surface noise or tape hiss. Fortunately, that's no longer the case on the new Blu-Ray. I don't feel that the vocal parts themselves have receded at all in comparison to the stereo mix. If anything, I'd say the backing vocals in the rear channels are actually a bit louder than they were originally. Maybe there's a bit more reverb too?
...and the first time I played it, it was on small satellite speakers set up all the way round, and quite noticeable. A couple of days later I listened to it on my living room system with two towers and bigger and better satellite speakers and it was a bit more prominent, so I’m happy.