HiRez Poll Doobie Brothers, The - QUADIO [Blu-ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of the Doobie Brothers - QUADIO

• Total voters
I will not be rating these discs. I was never a Doobie Brothers fan and apparently still not. I will say this the sonics and surround sound are superb. Unfortunately for me I never got into their music. I enjoy most of their hits and Black Water is still one of my all time faves. Absolutely not a bad purchase on my part. Just not my cup of music.
I have listened to all 4 discs.

OK, so the bottom line for me is that, even though it is not my all time favorite music ( therefore I will NOT detract any points for this, which I find a bit puzzling as to why some people do, but , hey..) , I DO find it very enjoyable and since it was done with the utmost care and respect (AND QUALITY), this is a MOST DEFINITE 10!!!
Well said.

I will not be rating these discs. I was never a Doobie Brothers fan and apparently still not. I will say this the sonics and surround sound are superb. Unfortunately for me I never got into their music. I enjoy most of their hits and Black Water is still one of my all time faves. Absolutely not a bad purchase on my part. Just not my cup of music.
I have listened to all 4 discs.
Thanks for not voting a 4 and announcing you want a refund. :ROFLMAO:
I hope more members follow your example. (y)

I appreciate the above comments, there are plenty of good surround releases not everybody will connect with.
I wish they wouldn't then feel the need to vote them low in the polls from buyer's remorse.

Well said.

Thanks for not voting a 4 and announcing you want a refund. :ROFLMAO:
I hope more members follow your example. (y)

I appreciate the above comments, there are plenty of good surround releases not everybody will connect with.
I wish they wouldn't then feel the need to vote them low in the polls from buyer's remorse.
I totally agree with you Dave, Kapn and Hirez stated there opinion in a honest and kind way, not questioning others, just a polite way of saying what they needed to say, refreshing for me and thank you.

Received my set Friday, September 11th but since that is Mrs. Deathmachine's birthday the day was all about her naturally. Finally have a chance to listen, and in a word. . . stunning! I've finished Toulouse Street. I'm not as familiar with this album but thought there were several standouts. Felt that "Jesus Is Alright" utilized all four speakers perfectly. Listening to China Grove from TCAM right now and hear what others are saying about the upper end and (lack) of bass. I'll give the set a couple more listens over the weekend. Unless there is something that jumps out + is completely off-putting I will rate a 10. It really is that good. Classic releases like Rhino's Quadio and the DV quad re-issues are why I continue to love this hobby. If you're on the fence about buying this — get it or regret it later.

~Brian

I am finding myself really enjoying the lesser-known acoustic tracks on this set. Kind of a Workingman’s Dead / American Beauty vibe.

For example, Slack Key Soquel Rag - you wouldn’t expect much from a little instrumental acoustic fingerpicking ditty, but it works really, really well in quad.

I was a little disappointed that the quad mix of "Listen to the Music" still doesn't sound as good (to me) as the 2006 remastered single version. It sounds dull in comparison, just like the stereo album verison. The quad "Jesus is Just Alright With Me" also doesn't sound as good as the single version.

Anything I say in a review will just be a repeat of what's been said by most of the early reviews. In short - I wasn't a big Doobie Brothers fan before buying this set, and now I can't stop listening to them. Top notch fidelity and discrete mixing. This is the best surround mix release I've ever heard. Absolutely glorious. It's a shame I can only give it a 10.

This is a tough one to review in some ways. I think if I look at it through the lens of "what does one expect from a 70s quad recording?" I guess I think of a format struggling to gain a foothold in the market, coming out of the gimmicky stereo years where things bounced from one speaker to the next, and so the first thing one might expect is a gimmicky mix with lots of stuff bouncing around, or maybe the "hard pan" approach seen in some late 60s stereo recording where maybe each speaker gets its own instrument. But these, while meeting some of those expectations, also have very modern elements where, for example, the rear speakers are treated as a stereo mix for some vocals and instruments while the front speakers blast different elements entirely resulting in a very modern surround experience. The fidelity. The Doobie Brothers were well recorded and the bass on these is very well done as are the drums. Interestingly (and I am sure this has been mentioned somewhere) Ted Templeman, their producer, was the lead guy for Harper's Bizarre, whose big hit was the 59th Street Bridge Song (Feelin' Groovy), which I loved as a kid. So if I am wearing my 70s lens, these in total are a 10.

If I am looking through a more modern lens, the fidelity of the recordings is still a 10. Song quality is not a surprise, it's high quality throughout. Musicianship is also top notch. Of the four blu rays I think Captain and Me is the weak sister SQ-wise, but not enough for a demerit. Toulouse Street, What Were Once Vices, Stampede are all of extremely high quality, if C&M is a slacker a bit, well that hardly qualifies as a complaint. Each album has at least one really strong "goose bumps" moment. I really get the feeling that the production team "got" quad, and these are awesome. Through the modern lens these would probably be a strong 9 up to this point. Add thankfulness to get these at all, and the great value for the price, and we are again at a 10! Thank-you Warner/Rhino, I hope you sell a ton of these. And my thankfulness will last a month, and then it's back to "more please....!"

Back