HiRez Poll Doobie Brothers, The - QUADIO [Blu-ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of the Doobie Brothers - QUADIO

• Total voters
I'd vote 40 (10 for each :sneaky:) but since the poll will only allow a 10, 10 it is! This is the best example of what can be done in the domain of surround, all the nitpicks aside that have been put forth. For me this is the pentacle to date (at least for the species Chordata Homo Surroundicus) of what the joy of music in surround can bring! Kudos to Rhino well done sirs and madams well done indeed...can I get a huzzah!

PS: Props also to Dutton Vocalion and Sony Japan for helping to advance this vaccine that is the cure for our 2 ears that we're told are only good enuff for stereo o_O Stereo?! Where were going we don't need stereo!!!

I gave the Doobie Brothers Quadio a 10. For me, these may be the finest quad mixes I heard so far. Plus, I am blown away by the songs. Prior to the pre-order, I was only familiar with the hits. I pre-ordered it because I was hankering for new some multi-channel music. My expectations for the albums were fairly low. I thought each album would have a hit or two with a lot of filler. Was I wrong. I can’t stop listening to these albums. Best box set I’ve bought in a while.

I don't think anyone has mentioned this, and it's really just a small nitpick easily fixed if you rip the discs to FLAC and adjust the track levels, but some of the songs that should be quieter relative to the other tunes on the albums are REALLY loud... for example, while listening to Toulouse Street at a comfortable level, the song "White Sun" came on and I had to turn it down. Another example is "Slack Key Soquel Rag" on Stampede... I have no idea if this is the way the tracks appeared on the original albums as these are the only versions I've owned. Maybe it's just me. Anyway, I love this release. An easy 10.

Short and sweet. I really enjoyed this box set. Top-rate all around from the mix, the packaging and the music. The only thing is that the content is very good but not my very favorite. At least not yet. I've enjoyed all four albums twice in surround and a few times in stereo. Waffling on the number but I've settled on 9.

I don't think anyone has mentioned this, and it's really just a small nitpick easily fixed if you rip the discs to FLAC and adjust the track levels, but some of the songs that should be quieter relative to the other tunes on the albums are REALLY loud... for example, while listening to Toulouse Street at a comfortable level, the song "White Sun" came on and I had to turn it down. Another example is "Slack Key Soquel Rag" on Stampede... I have no idea if this is the way the tracks appeared on the original albums as these are the only versions I've owned. Maybe it's just me. Anyway, I love this release. An easy 10.
Regarding White Sun, that track is also way too loud on the Q4 as well as the CD4. It is also too loud on the MoFi stereo SACD. So I guess that these were conscious decisions when mixing the album.

I’m still hoping to hear a reason as to why the acapella chorus on “Black Water” is so faded on the Quad version and very prominent on the stereo version of this Quadio set. Any thoughts?

You make a good point. But I've noticed this on a number of other quads and 5.1's. (The Moody Blues...several tracks; Chicago Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is; and Fleetwood Mac Rhiannon on the 5.1 are examples.) Probably someone not paying enough attention due to production crunch? I don't know, but I wish they would have been more careful.

I’m still hoping to hear a reason as to why the acapella chorus on “Black Water” is so faded on the Quad version and very prominent on the stereo version of this Quadio set. Any thoughts?

I’m voting 10; but I believe in some of what Jim says here-
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...quadio-blu-ray-audio.29011/page-5#post-515283The mastering is inconsistent with some scooped mids which causes the vocals often (Phantom Center mainly) to get too buried in the mix. But given how much I love the music and the support by Rhino for providing us with great classic Quad; I’m only going to deduct half a point (9.5), round up and still give it the 10 it deserves.

Last edited:
Yes, I noticed that today too for the first time. I was wondering if something wasn't set-up right on my OPPO BDP-103d Darbee edition player. I then played it in stereo and it sounded like we all know. I wonder why it is so silent.

I think you misunderstood my original post. I'm used to listening to either the CD-4 LP or quad reel-to-reel of Vices, where "Black Water" is marred by either distracting surface noise or tape hiss. Fortunately, that's no longer the case on the new Blu-Ray. I don't feel that the vocal parts themselves have receded at all in comparison to the stereo mix. If anything, I'd say the backing vocals in the rear channels are actually a bit louder than they were originally. Maybe there's a bit more reverb too?

I was a casual DB listener in the ‘70’s. I had the Best of the Doobies album of course. Followed them when Michael McDonald joined and stayed around until around 1980. This box set has been a twofold discovery. First, the sound. Stunning in every way. I have a new system so it is getting quite the workout. Instrumentation is pronounced and isolated. The vocals are a little soft but that is ok since the singers are not spectacular and the lyrics are not substantial. The other discovery is the overall quality of the albums, especially Stampede. I found my mind wandering at the first three albums but I am hanging onto every note of Stampede. I now have a new album to love. Rock on!

Last edited:
Wow. An easy 10 from me - would be higher if there was an option. My ranking of albums in this set are (they are all good though):
1. What were once vices are now habits (sounds like my life....)
2. The Captain and me (a very close second)
3. Toulouse Street
4. Stampede

This has to be my favourite surround mix acquired this year (so far....).

My only 'problem' is which version of The Captain and me do I prefer - the quad or the 5.1 DVD-Audio? Thankfully I have both versions. :)

I too have noticed a funny haze on my discs. I've gotten rid of the inner plastic sleeves. I don't know what else could be causing this problem. They still play fine, Though. :cautious:🥃🥃
Because I will be playing these discs a lot, I store them in CD jewel cases - saves wear and tear on the excellent packaging.

Well my 2nd post . Gotta say the immersive sound and warmth . Yes warmth , didn't know my system had it in it !! The surround sound unbelievable and the crispness of instruments, amazing. Now I am going to tell you why I am only going to vote 9.

Only knew the popular songs, LTR , LTTM , CG , BW etc . I was more familiar with the Ronald McDonald years. Mix and fidelity, sonically top marks all the way . The content is good as well apart from the vocal aspect. In a lot of the songs (the out and out rockers, lots of them) the vocals are buried and unclear so much I was running for my iPad and checking the song lyrics . I am a 5.1 man not sure whether quad suffers from having a phantom centre but I did and so docked a mark.

9 only from me . Pineapple Thief – Versions of the Truth just arrived so that will be my next review

FINALLY arrived this morning in time for my morning java and donuts. As to be expected, arrived in perfecto condition. Packaging is superb....attention to detail likewise and the Sound.....NEED YOU ASK? Thanks to Steel Woole [Steve] and RHINO for FINALLY making this set a REALITY!

A MORE THAN PERFECT 10!

Last edited:
My Doobies Quadio set just arrived yesterday and I am not yet ready to enter a rating until I have critically listened to all four (4) discs. Toulouse Street is one of my favorite albums from "back in the day" so I could not resist listening first to a few of my favorite tracks. Last night I did listen to all of "What Were Once Vices, etc." and the sound of everything I have heard thus far is exceptional. Here is the strange thing that I want to mention. I have a 6.1 set up. I fully expected the front center channel speaker to be silent - as these are Quad recordings - and as expected nothing comes out of it. The imaging of these recordings is so well done that a center channel is not necessary - because it is already there! The odd thing is that there is plenty of output from the rear center channel!! What is that? This is Quad!! I like it - but it does not seem to fit the Quad format and this does not happen with the Quad SACD's I have. Any ideas? I will provide my score and comments after I have completed all of my listening.

I think you misunderstood my original post. I'm used to listening to either the CD-4 LP or quad reel-to-reel of Vices, where "Black Water" is marred by either distracting surface noise or tape hiss. Fortunately, that's no longer the case on the new Blu-Ray. I don't feel that the vocal parts themselves have receded at all in comparison to the stereo mix. If anything, I'd say the backing vocals in the rear channels are actually a bit louder than they were originally. Maybe there's a bit more reverb too?
...and the first time I played it, it was on small satellite speakers set up all the way round, and quite noticeable. A couple of days later I listened to it on my living room system with two towers and bigger and better satellite speakers and it was a bit more prominent, so I’m happy.

I finally got to have a listen to this. I've had the Q4 transfers for years, so I knew what to expect. I knew the performances and the mixes well enough, and they were already in the 10 bracket. I cherry picked some tunes and then played the corresponding Q4 tracks for comparison. I was pleasantly surprised how much cleaner everything sounded on the Quadio versions. Bravo Rhino! A 10 from me.

Back