Quad LP/Tape Poll Doobie Brothers: What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits [CD-4/Q8/QR]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "Vices"

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Crap Sound, Crap Mix, Crap Content

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
1974 release with their only #1 hit, "Black Water."

Side 1:

1. Song To See You Through
2. Spirit
3. Pursuit On 53rd St.
4. Black Water
5. Eyes Of Silver
6. Road Angel

Side 2:

1. You Just Can't Stop It
2. Tell Me What You Want (And I'll Give You What You Need)
3. Down In The Track
4. Another Park, Another Sunday
5. Daughters Of The Sea
6. Flying Cloud

ED :)

The timing of the poll is good....last weekend I finally got my system set back up for CD-4 after relocating to Michigan. I played this album after some trials and tribulations with the player, demodulator, etc. and really enjoyed it. I was impressed with the music. I will have to play the album again this weekend to listen a little closer to the mix, but from what I heard, it was quite good. My reference point is limited CD-4 exposure, so I may be off my rocker...and having never heard another's set-up, it is hard to have a comparison. But in the end, I thought the album was great. As I cleaned the album off with Rosonol, I couldn't help but give the moment to Cai.

Good album, though CAPTAIN was probably the peak of the Johnston period.

VICES was not a big hit, the way CAPTAIN WAS, and didn't hang around the way TOULOUSE STREET did. Part of that was because there wasn't a hit single out of the box--"Another Park" wasn't the rocking rouser each of the previous pair of albums had to push it, and it made the top forty, but didn't really register. "Eyes Of Silver" came next, didn't even do that well (sounded like the retread it was). Then came a reissue of "Nobody," their 1971 debut chart single. Not sure why WB did that, except they didn't have confidence in anything else on the album? Even so, they finally put out what I thought was the best track, "Black Water," and the Doobies hit #1 for the first time.

The sound and mix get an '8'--another strong, vivid Ted Templeman production with Donn Landee at the console.

ED :)

Just did a conversion of this from the quad reel.

This may not be the Doobs strongest but I sure do love it. 1974 brings back a ton of memories. I was 13 and stricken with shingles. I got stuck doing nothing but listening to the radio for about 3 weeks and "Another Park..." was being played quite a bit on WLS WCFL and a couple FM stations here in Chicago. I fell in love with that tune and to this day it still gets me very time I hear it.

It was really enjoyable doing the disc and I must have listened to it 20 times. I would give the mix about an 8 and the album as a whole as an 8. Black Water is a a quad demo track if ever there was one and the whole album sounds much more open in quad.

one of those lp's where side 2 is better than side 1... my favourite bit is the last three tracks
but anyway i think it's a great lp and a great quad mix.....
and good recording quality in both stereo :bounce and quad:51banana:

I know critics have never thought this one was one of their best, but it's a classic to me. "Another Park" should have charted much higher than it did, and "Black Water" is seminal Doobies. I recently heard a Q4 transfer and loved the Quad mix; it's especially active on "Black Water" where Tom is up front with the band's vocals split in the rear channels, and the wind chimes swirling around the mix. Love it! A solid 9 from me.

One of my favorite quad mixes. I remember how impressed I was by the vocals in Black Water ending up in the rear channels. A long time ago. Still have the CD-4 LP, though no way to enjoy it right now.

Anyone that didn't vote a 10 on this skipped over the track "Black Water". I have the quad reel (again). Had to re-buy it off ebay but got it for around $17 since the seller didn't list it correctly, including not mentioning quad in the title.

I remember paying $7.77 for it at Tower Records on day of release, way back then.

This more recently purchased one is actually better, being on lower noise tape than the first one I bought.

When I finally got up and running for CD-4 this summer, this album was one of the first I bagged off ebay. This is probably my favorite Doobie Brothers album and the quad mix is wonderful! I voted 10 - content and mix are first rate in my book!
--------- Chris

When I finally got up and running for CD-4 this summer, this album was one of the first I bagged off ebay. This is probably my favorite Doobie Brothers album and the quad mix is wonderful! I voted 10 - content and mix are first rate in my book!
--------- Chris

And this is why I have "lobbied" for Rhino to release this next on the Quadio thread! To me, this was the best ever quad release:the best mix (demo quality), and great music!
How about some of you raters helping out on the Quadio thread?!?

Out of curiosity, did the CD-4 copy of this include the poster? I have a stereo copy with the poster, but my CD-4 copy has no poster.

Out of curiosity, did the CD-4 copy of this include the poster? I have a stereo copy with the poster, but my CD-4 copy has no poster.

The CD-4 LP I got used off ebay came with the poster. Of course there's the possibility that the previous owner just stuck an extra poster in there - who knows? I can say that when I bought my stereo LP new in the mid-80s there was still a poster included - they must have printed a slew of those things! Cheers!
--------- Chris

I vote 10. Another one of my favorite quads. I can't believe i haven't voted on this yet.

Hi,

I give it a 9. Never heard it in period, just got the Q8 this xmas off ebay and like it a lot, yes, some songs are not so great but the mix is really nice and it's enjoyable as an album. Can't wait to listen to this in the car next summer... :smokin

Short Take: A Favorite Of Mine!

I also cannot believe I have never voted on this. I created a compilation of favorite tracks from the four quad reel Doobies conversions, and songs from this release feature heavily. Even if not every song is a winner, those which are winners are so great and special, and the mix is so stellar, that I have to put this in the 10 category. My favorites in the order they appear are:

Black Water
Eyes of Silver
Road Angel
Down in the Track
Another Park, Another Sunday

The Doobies are masters of blended harmony vocals, and I find the quad presentations to be lush and satisfying. The production is excellent, and the songwriting is strong. This one is well worth seeking out, and a quadio box of all the Doobies quads would be an instant buy for me.

Last edited:
Does anyone remember that "Black Water" was actually the "B" side to "Another Park, Another Sunday" when it was released on 45RPM?

Yes. It became a hit after a local DJ somewhere (North Carolina maybe?) started playing it and it became a big hit on that station.

I donā€™t think such things happen anymore!

In any case, somebody (calling Dr Rhino) release this on BD so I can hear it! Love this album!

Back