Comments Inspired by Doors - Doors [DVD-A/SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cupboy

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
To Poll .png

The dvd-audio version was called "Perception", not "Immersion".

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder why they stayed with the L/C/R approach when "Light My Fire" was a favorite 4 Channel demo track back in the quad days. Played it many times, and the "Best of the Doors", being a single inventory quadradisc, was probably the biggest selling CD-4 of all time (with Aloha it's nearest competitor)

At least we still have our QLPs, Q8's, and Q4's.

Am I missing something here?
LCR is not Orange Book specification - SACD is supposed to be 2, 5 or 6 channel with 6 channel being 5.1 as opposed to 6.0
There is no mention of either Quad or LCR encoding at all in the DSDIFF encoder tools - they throw an error.
So there have to be silent surrounds here.

Is this also available in Quad? I never knew that!
Must go track me down a copy, I think.

Am I missing something here?
LCR is not Orange Book specification - SACD is supposed to be 2, 5 or 6 channel with 6 channel being 5.1 as opposed to 6.0
There is no mention of either Quad or LCR encoding at all in the DSDIFF encoder tools - they throw an error.
So there have to be silent surrounds here.

Is this also available in Quad? I never knew that!
Must go track me down a copy, I think.

There's a lot of 3 channel (L/C/R) SACD's out there. The Living Stereo series, the recent Nat King Cole releases to name a few. You also have 4 channel SACDs.

"Orange Book specification" is a follow-up to "Red Book spesification" and includes the recordable CD formats CD-R and CD-RW in addition to the read-only CD-DA. The specification document for SACD is called "Scarlet Book".

Only selected tracks from the first album are in quad on THE BEST OF THE DOORS, and that was their only quad album, custom-made for the quad market (it did later have a stereo record club counterpart, FWIW). BEST also remained in print into the late '80s.

ED :)

Those record clubs just can't stay away from anything titled "The Best Of", even if it wasn't meant for them.

Indeed...and what they did was simply take a piece of the front cover and superimpose it over the 'quadradisc' logo. Looked stupid, to say the least.

ED :)

There's a lot of 3 channel (L/C/R) SACD's out there. The Living Stereo series, the recent Nat King Cole releases to name a few. You also have 4 channel SACDs.

"Orange Book specification" is a follow-up to "Red Book spesification" and includes the recordable CD formats CD-R and CD-RW in addition to the read-only CD-DA. The specification document for SACD is called "Scarlet Book".
There are no such 3 or 4 channel SACDs. Only having 2, 5, 6 channels with muted one(s) as Neil pointed out.

There are no such 3 or 4 channel SACDs. Only having 2, 5, 6 channels with muted one(s) as Neil pointed out.

It gives a longer playing time though because the lossless compression required on SACD, DST (Direct Stream Transfer), just flattens those muted channels and they get basically no bit allocation, so a longer playtime can be implemented since the compression is at a lower total bitrate. MLP/Dolby True HD and DTS-HD Master work in the same way.

Should be interesting to see if the Analogue Productions version is any better.

Maybe I should sell my Japan one now while it still holds its value.

So, which Doors SACD was it? The Analogue Productions one or the Japan version? Since you're mentioning lack of bass, I'd guess it's the APO.

There's a great Upmix out there, done from the DCC Gold CD. Superior to this release.

I'm not, by any stretch, a Doors fanatic. But I've always liked their albums. For me, they require a 'mood'. I recently found the standalone SACD (US release, 2013) on Discogs.com for $23 US and couldn't pass it up.

This is definitely a great album, and frankly...given the material of other more modern bands out there, I still think it's surprising that they invested all that time into taking mono recordings and creating surround mixes of them.

The mix on this is definitely LCR'ish. There is a bit of reverb in the rears, but that's pretty much it. All in all, the frontal mix is pretty damn great. Solid bass from the sub, the instruments are presented clearly (albeit hard-panned in a lot of the mix), and the vocals are mixed nicely into the center with the reverb dished out conservatively into the surround channels.

I would've preferred a more playful mix on some of the songs, but I simply cannot complain about much on this disc. Gave it a 9. 4 for the mix, 4 for the material, and a bonus 1 for existing. Well worth the dough. I need to pick up the others if I can find them at a good price.

You should definitely check out the Best Of The Doors quad on Blu-Ray...songs from this album are mixed about as adventurously as possible for a 4-track master. Pretty sure you can get a copy for less than $23...

Anyway this may be controversial, but I once tried listening to this with L & R as the rears and C upfront...sounded kinda neat. There are plenty of quad mixes with drums in a rear corner.

Back