HiRez Poll Doors - PERCEPTION (DVD-A Box Set)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Doors - PERCEPTION

• Total voters
A "6" from me. The surround awesomeness just isn't here. Fidelity and cool extra features, yes.

Nice review. I actually don't mind the 'band in the front, overdubs in the back" mixing style of the later albums (the rears are kept pretty busy on denser songs like "Land Ho" and "L.A. Woman"), but like you I prefer the quad. What's weirder to me is how Botnick used the center channel.

Compare the quad and 5.1 mixes of "Love Her Madly"--the quad has a nice wide stereo spread of the drums in the rear channels, while the kit is reduced to near-mono in the center speaker with a slight spread to the fronts.

Interestingly enough, Botnick--along with Doors producer Paul Rothschild--is also responsible for the Best Of quad mix. I never heard that it was mixed specifically to impress label execs. but Jac Holzman was said to be one of quad's biggest proponents back in the '70s.

My peephole discs are still fine.

I've heard of PEEPING TOMS ... BUT A PEEPING MIKE?????? 🎶 People ARE Strange....🎶

My discs are OK, too.

R.cd95be7d0695e8581f22a8bb8978944f

Last edited:
I'm assuming that we all have made back-ups onto hard drives or usb media, etc so why so worried about disc rot.?

I can see that for the first time purchaser this could pose a problem, because even if the item is NOS (New Old Stock) it could still rot in the package.

This does pose an interesting delima for the future of my/our future purchases of discs on places like ebay and discogs, but even Amazon would be affected equally.

I'm assuming that we all have made back-ups onto hard drives or usb media, etc so why so worried about disc rot.?
Resale valve of expensive boxes?

I already have the SACD set, is this DVD-A set worth the money? All I'm interested in are the surround mixes..

As to the comments on the LFE tracks, very little music recordings has content belonging in the LFE track. Your bass management should be directing any appropriate content to your subwoofers in any case.

Hi:
I recently got a box in perfect condition. While when I play it I can choose between two 5.1 options (Dolby Digital or DTS), when extracting the tracks with a DVD audio extractor I only have one option. Which one I am extracting??

On the other hand, I can't extract to Flac the 5.1 mix from the Morrison Hotel´s Bonus Tracks. I can play without problem

Hi:
I recently got a box in perfect condition. While when I play it I can choose between two 5.1 options (Dolby Digital or DTS), when extracting the tracks with a DVD audio extractor I only have one option. Which one I am extracting??

On the other hand, I can't extract to Flac the 5.1 mix from the Morrison Hotel´s Bonus Tracks. I can play without problem
It sounds like your player (whether hardware or software) is not a DVD-Audio player, just a DVD-Video player, so is playing the DVD-Video section of the disc. So it is giving you the option to play DD or DTS. Nearly always, DTS is better.

BUT... DVD Audio Extractor is reading the DVD-Audio section, which contains the lossless MLP audio. So it is correctly only finding the one 5.1 option. So you can rip that and it will be lossless (so even better than the DTS).

It's a while since I ripped my copy of Perception, but I don't remember any problems with Morrison Hotel. I have the bonus tracks in 5.1 Flac so they seemed to extract OK. (I have the Euro smaller box, maybe you have a different issue.)

When, repotting playback problems, please let us know the exact Model # number of the unit (DVD player, amp model, etc.) you’re using. Also, check your manual to see what a unit can do. Thanks.

of all the dvd-audio's I've ripped in my lifetime (to .iso mind you), I never had more trouble than with these these six discs.

It took days and days, and error after error. I never did figure out the cause.

This was probably 14 years ago though so maybe a hardware/software limitation problem but I don't think so because other dvd-audio's ripped fine.

Last edited:
I believe it's the way the discs are authored. It was young in the authoring days but also very prevalent in the anti-copyrighting days so I can not say for sure whether it was intentional or unintentional. Perhaps both, which led to a perfect storm of FUBR

Last edited:
Back