Quad LP/Tape Poll Doors, The: Best Of The Doors [CD-4/Q8/Q4]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "Best Of The Doors"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5: So-so

• 1: Bad Mix, Bad Sound, Bad Content

• Total voters
Was it not Bruce Botnick who did the Quad mixes? Wasn't he in charge of the original stereo mixes?

Yes, and yes.
And yes, he also did the modern remixes.

Certainly having the original session engineer perform the surround remixes -- at around the same time -- seems most likely to produce a faithful mix (Roy Halee's Garfunkel remixes are another example).

Unfortunately, as decades pass, thumbs start to itch and knobs get twirled in an urge to fix what ain't broke. I wouldn't object to, for instance, adding back deleted instruments in a separate mix so labeled. But fiddling with something iconic and then issuing it as the sole remix is, I think, wrong.

I will admit, I prefer the original Quad Best of the Doors over the Perceptions boxed set.

Perceptions was front-heavy and instrument placement was odd. The drums bouncing around during Love her Madly was unexpected, but at the same time weird. Why were the drums moving around?

Riders on the Storm Quad mix is classic. Remix? Classic FAIL.

The L.A. Woman new 5.1 mix was pretty good though I found the mix lacked the definition that the old Quad mixes had. It was good, but I think it could have been better. Jim's vocals walking around was a nice added touch cuz in that case, I could imagine him walking around on a stage, interacting with the other members of the group.

To keep it to the point - the old Quad mixes were for the most part, A+ quality and effort. A few of the new 5.1 were ok, but on the whole odd and unbalanced.

My only qualm with the Quad mixes were "Light my Fire" and "Who do you Love?" but really, they did the best they could with the four and three track masters respectively.

Finally, I'd like to go on record by saying that I kinda liked the quirky sped-up ending on the Q8 of the Best of the Doors. It's a long enough song and after having sat through the whole thing it made me giggle.
Reminded me of the Python's all screaming "GET ON WITH IT!"

Does the Q4 reel end that way too?

Q-Eight,

How was Riders on the Storm done on the dvd-a? I always liked the discrete surround whisper on the quad 8. Allso have the cd-4, should any of Jim's vocal be present in the surround or is my vinyl copy lost its carrier lock over some bad needle plays?

The DVD-A is OK, the L.A. Woman album is by far the best of them all. "Riders" has of course been remixed, this time the rears contain the bulk of the "rainstorm" sounds, the whisper vocal, congas and a very light echo of all instruments from the front. It's definitely a more 'modern' sounding surround mix.

Q-Eight,

How was Riders on the Storm done on the dvd-a? I always liked the discrete surround whisper on the quad 8. Allso have the cd-4, should any of Jim's vocal be present in the surround or is my vinyl copy lost its carrier lock over some bad needle plays?

On the L.A. Woman DVD-A, the Riders mix has the same whispering in the rear, but is potted down too low with less dramatic reverb. A casual listener might not even notice it. It's my main complaint.

IMO, that's about the only thing wrong with that mix, I find it aggravating, too, because the prominence of the whisper was part of what made the quad mix so much fun, it really brought out something that was more subliminal in stereo.

ED :)

When I listen to my DVD-A's (all I have are the Elv1s and the Doors Set), I usually set my rears 10db higher than the fronts. It balances them out much betterer.

Ahhh, the whisper in "Rider's on the Storm." A true revelation after listening to the stereo version for almost 40 years! It made me snap my head around the first time I heard it (this was with the CD-4 version).

The guitar solo in "Moonlight Drive" in the left back is also very startling. The harmony vocal in "Hello, I Love You"... The Swirling sound, as others have mentioned, in the same song.

All very wonderful, of course, for a long-time Doors fan.

Doug

The Doors must have been the first to use a simultaneous vocal/whisper. The only other song I can think of that does this is XTC - 'Making Plans For Nigel'.

The Doors must have been the first to use a simultaneous vocal/whisper. The only other song I can think of that does this is XTC - 'Making Plans For Nigel'.

Surely you haven't forgotten Paula Cole's 1997 triple-Grammy nominee Where Have All the Cowboys Gone?

Sorry to re-open this old thread, but "Riders On The Storm" was released in 1971, and The Moody Blues used this technique with their song "Don't You Feel Small" on "A Question of Balance" from 1970.

J. D.

(Just bought a copy of "Best of the Doors" CD-4, which is why I'm reading this thread to begin with)

No apology necessary for reopening this old thread, J.D.

In fact, this is one forum where I think most of us LIKE old threads to be reopened, especially this one about rating the original quad releases.

Now, of course, I will have to get my copy of "A Question of Balance" out and listen to that song. After I listen to "Best of the Doors" again.

Doug

Come to think of it, another whisper/vocal may be Carly Simon's "His Friends Are More Than Fond Of Robin" from NO SECRETS (so that's three).

Nothing much to do with the thread, but what the hell, interesting to note, anyway....:D

ED :)

The CD-4 rear channel info on Riders on the Storm is probably the simplest way to adjust demodulator. Most whisper, least distortion, you're set. :)

I have the Q4, and I recorded it at 24/96, and made a quick DVD-A of it. (I think I sent a copy to Bob Romano, I forget, actually). Anyway, I was not happy with it, for the reasons that you mention above. I thought maybe it was my reel, but maybe they are all like that. Other reels I have done have come out quite well, but for some reason, this one seems flat and dull, exactly as you mention. I, however, held back and resisted "smiling" it! :D
I ended up with what I think is a later different transfer, one I got a bit over a year ago from the green devil site (before the devil went to hell). It sounds vibrant in a way similar to the CD-4 LP. So apparently there are some Q4s out there of this that sound great. I previously only had heard a DTS conversion but it was dull enough for me to mention it 8 years ago. And since I've now heard a good one, it seems not too late to say so!

Jon did you get to hear another 4-chan reel of this release and also find it rather high quality in dynamics compared to your earlier reel? Or did they give it a smiley-faced boost and that was that.

4890145666.jpg

The sound quality of reels are based on what that tape has been through. Improper storage or winding can create anomalies. Head wear, alignment and warpage/cupping of the tape can greatly affect the sound. Most often, it is the high end that suffers.

Prerecorded reels usually sound better than any other Quad format. I usually opted for CD-4 pressings where available, yet I could perceive a high end that was slightly lacking, especially when they were new. I was tested to hear relatively flat up to 19k when I was young. Young women generally hear the high frequencies better than men or older women.

Best of Doors is still one of my favorite quads!

Same here and it could have easily been a double album without stretching it. I've always been a Doors nut anyway.

Doug

I gave this one a 9 because of the inclusion of the first track for which I feel doesn't belong on a 'best of' compilation. Overall, taken into consideration, this was great for the time it came out and what they had to work with.

Back