Quad LP/Tape Poll Doors, The: Best Of The Doors [CD-4/Q8/Q4]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "Best Of The Doors"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5: So-so

• 1: Bad Mix, Bad Sound, Bad Content

• Total voters
It's a matter of interpretation; it was included to show the exciting live sound of the band as heard on Absolutely Live. They played other covers; Robbie's electric slide guitar made this a Doors song and a staple in their set. It's about the performance, not the authorship.

What is criminal is the fact that a fair amount of this quality live material is sitting on a shelf already mixed into 5.1 surround ten years ago, as specifically referenced in the CD booklet for the Aquarian Theatre concerts.

I do wonder who compiled this one, though. A few other songs might have been wiser choices than a few that were included. But yeah, at the time it was quad heaven, though just a taste.

ED :)

They were young and in love so....

Early 1973, I sent a defective Strange Days cassette to Elektra with a letter, hoping to get it replaced. Not only did I get a brand new cassette, I got a personal reply from Jac Holzman on Elektra letterhead:

"Enclosed please find a replacement tape for the defective cassette you sent us.

Yes, we will indeed be issuing quadraphonic records this summer. Watch for some announcements soon." (Mom why did you toss this?)

Ponder this; it's 1973. Jim's been gone for 2 years, the remaining trio has issued two albums that went nowhere. It is 5 years before the resurgence in Doors music interest.

The Doors were the label's biggest success overall and it was sun-setting now. We will not issue the separate albums now. This Best Of album has to be special; it will be single inventory so everybody buys the quad version whether they can play it that way now or later.

It's too bad more people don't know what a great live band The Doors could be. Let's consider including one live cut in quad and this might also be a draw for people to buy this record. This might be the last Doors album released for a long time, depending on how quad takes off or not. The rest is history.

Yes I can easily think of 4-6 studio tracks that could have been used instead of Who Do You Love but then this 1973 retrospective would not be the joy that is.

This is a great and informative thread! So, if I were to get a cd-4 pressing of this album, should I get an original Electra pressing with the butterfly or a later pressing from the early 80's? I usually go for original, but cd-4 might be better with a later pressing if they improved the vinyl quality. Or not?

I'm not sure it matters in this instance, since there are so many pressings available. I thought the late '80s pressing was really good, and a surprise that it was still being made that late in the game. If I were you I'd just snatch up the first copy you come across in nice condition and give it a spin.

ED :)

Thanks Ed, I also still need to get a new cart for my turntable. Probably an AT440MLa is in my near future...

Re: Doors: The Best Of The Doors [CD-4/Q8/Q4]
"Who Do You Love". I think it was originally a Bo Diddley number?

Two other versions of this song I like are from Juicy Lucy and (of course) Thorogood

I have both an early butterfly label version and a next-to-last black and red label version and I have never heard any real difference between them.

Doug

The live capture of "Who Do You Love" in quad is impressive. Granted it's mostly audience in the rear channels, but it's full, rich and discrete. Uniquely demo worthy.

It has some discrete quad treats, too, like when Morrison exclaims, "... somebody screamed..." and a guy in the back, from the audience, screams.

I have been listening to this again, lately, and am still amazed at how good it is. An exemplary CD-4 production.

Doug

And, BTW, my earlier butterfly label example and later black and red label example are not the same stamping. I thought maybe there would be a possibility they could be since CD-4 pressings wouldn't have been as numerous as regular stereo records but the matrix engravings are different.

I guess the numbers were still great enough to require making additional stampers. And, being this release was sold for so long.

Doug

I have the black label butterfly.

Columbia record club pressings of this title were not CD-4 iirc.

And, BTW, my earlier butterfly label example and later black and red label example are not the same stamping. I thought maybe there would be a possibility they could be since CD-4 pressings wouldn't have been as numerous as regular stereo records but the matrix engravings are different.

I guess the numbers were still great enough to require making additional stampers. And, being this release was sold for so long.

Doug
Curious which sounded better. I have the red label.

I have about 3 copies of that LP with different labels. As far as CD-4 sound, I'd say they're all the same. Don't listen to them anymore since I got the 4.0 surround SACD audio copy.

"Mr. Rothchild, sir, don't you think we should put "Break On Through" on the album?"

"Nah, that's just what they're expecting us to do."

:D

Doug

The reason there were several pressings of "The Best Of The Doors" is because for several years the quad version was the only version available. Elektra didn't issue a stereo version until they wanted the BMG record club to include the album in their listings. By that time, most labels had ceased putting out any quad LPs and BMG didn't want to confuse their customers.

I LOVE this one a rare 9 from me great content AWESOME mix , if more quad was this good the format may not have failed

Back