HiRez Poll Doors - THE BEST OF THE DOORS [SACD/BDA]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD/BDA of The Doors - BEST OF THE DOORS

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
We’re lucky with this title that we got two re-releases. Both sound great. And one is not missing anything IMHO if you didn’t buy both re-releases.

I still have my original Q8 from when I was a teenager. So, while these discussions about which version is better can be interesting, ultimately we got clean transfers from the original master tape in both instances.

Those who are curious about Surround can get a great title with excellent music and mix, along with two CDs for less than $20 bucks. The Blu-ray has also remained in stock for serval years still. So, Buy it now while it’s there.

I just received this from amazon, put it in the player and listened straight through. Really nice fidelity and pop. Overall a nine, but I was very tempted to give this a ten and probably should have given the age of the mix. There were times that I thought the rear channels were a little hot and took too much of my attention away from the vocals. I think I need to raise my center channel to the same level as the front and rears when playing music and that might help. I was also wanting more low end on most tracks, but overall this was a lot of fun to listen too and will get played often.

I just received this from amazon, put it in the player and listened straight through. Really nice fidelity and pop. Overall a nine, but I was very tempted to give this a ten and probably should have given the age of the mix. There were times that I thought the rear channels were a little hot and took too much of my attention away from the vocals. I think I need to raise my center channel to the same level as the front and rears when playing music and that might help. I was also wanting more low end on most tracks, but overall this was a lot of fun to listen too and will get played often.

To me it also sounds very good. At the same time I can tell that it's somewhat aged and the newer mixes have better fidelity. In saying that, what you get with this Doors release is the original mix that was used to impress upon those in the industry as a reason why music should be available in quad.

Raising the center channel won't help for this one since it is quad with no center channel info.

Raising the center channel won't help for this one since it is quad with no center channel info.
According to my AVR there is no center channel input when playing this disc, just the four speakers are shown for the input. But for some reason, and I couldn't figure it out, it outputs to 5 channels with no sub. I tried setting the receiver to pure/direct with the same results. I'm assuming it was summing the left and right front channels but I don't know that. I had a short window to listen, so I didn't dive deep into the problem yesterday.

According to my AVR there is no center channel input when playing this disc, just the four speakers are shown for the input. But for some reason, and I couldn't figure it out, it outputs to 5 channels with no sub. I tried setting the receiver to pure/direct with the same results. I'm assuming it was summing the left and right front channels but I don't know that. I had a short window to listen, so I didn't dive deep into the problem yesterday.
It is probably just an empty center channel. Some discs are authored that way to be compatible with more disc players and/or AVRs.

It is probably just an empty center channel. Some discs are authored that way to be compatible with more disc players and/or AVRs.
You were correct sir! I went back and listened again and even though the app on the phone shows output to the center there was nothing audible that I could hear. So raising the center would absolutely do nothing, however raising the volume a few decibels did! The front three speakers are powered by a separate amp and the L/R's are towers (rears are bookshelves) requiring a little more juice to really come alive. The result in increased volume brought the front image forward and more inline with the rears. It also helped with the bass (the towers have excellent low end), but I still wanted more. I can only assume that this was mixed for vinyl originally. A final thought, Rider's on the Storm is magical in Quad. The price of the set is worth it for this one song.

You were correct sir! I went back and listened again and even though the app on the phone shows output to the center there was nothing audible that I could hear. So raising the center would absolutely do nothing, however raising the volume a few decibels did! The front three speakers are powered by a separate amp and the L/R's are towers (rears are bookshelves) requiring a little more juice to really come alive. The result in increased volume brought the front image forward and more inline with the rears. It also helped with the bass (the towers have excellent low end), but I still wanted more. I can only assume that this was mixed for vinyl originally. A final thought, Rider's on the Storm is magical in Quad. The price of the set is worth it for this one song.
Not sure if you have Apple Music and the capability to stream Atmos there, but the Atmos version of Riders on the Storm is pretty great too.

(I see you are in Atlanta. The city must be buzzing about the Braves.)

Not sure if you have Apple Music and the capability to stream Atmos there, but the Atmos version of Riders on the Storm is pretty great too.

(I see you are in Atlanta. The city must be buzzing about the Braves.)
I currently have Amazon as my steaming service and keep hoping they will finally let us get our hands on all of the Atmos stuff with our AVRs and not the stupid echo speaker. I may wait until the first of the year before I take the apple 4k tv plunge with the hope that amazon gets it right.

We are over the moon with the Braves! I received severe sticker shock when I looked at getting tickets to one of the games. $1000 for standing room only! Ended up watching at home in beautiful 4K!

Of course, the Twins beat the Braves in the 1991 series. :D

Anyway, I have the Blu Ray and it is incredible! It sounds just like the original CD-4 without the vinyl noise. The included CD's of the original singles aren't as good, although acceptable. My original 45's sound better. More sparkle and ambience/air. Elektra's recording/mixing/mastering/pressings were wonderful in those days, even earning a positive remark from one of the record reviewers, thanking Elektra for their sonically superior records.

But yes, the quad disc is really good.

Doug

I was lucky enought to pick up Rhino's THE SINGLES by The Doors for a reasonable price on eBay. When it arrived, I couldn't wait to play the BR-A and...WOW! I can see why my fellow Quadies raved on this disc. Jon and GOS reviews are excellent, but I had to add my two cents. The Greatest Hits Disc packs a punch. It is also crankable--and when you do, what's stopping you from getting your boogy on? Sound is crisp and clear and I couldn't help myself from singing along.

Attachments

• IMG-4355.jpg
    IMG-4355.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 1
Back