Dr. AIX and PS Audio's Paul McGowan: Why Stereo vs. Surround?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's the original article - and YouTube Video - by Paul McGowan on "Why Stereo vs. Surround?"
The main thing that Paul missed in his video was the fact that a good multich rig can do anything that a good 2 channel rig can do. Don't like the sound of a particular multich recording, play the stereo version and shut off any upsampling.
The reverse is not true, if you only have 2 channels, that's what your locked into, the mediocrity of stereo reproduction. ;)

The main thing that Paul missed in his video was the fact that a good multich rig can do anything that a good 2 channel rig can do. Don't like the sound of a particular multich recording, play the stereo version and shut off any upsampling.
The reverse is not true, if you only have 2 channels, that's what your locked into, the mediocrity of stereo reproduction. ;)
A thing that I like to do at times is listen to a quad recording downmixed into 2-channels. I sit exactly in the sweet spot and listen to the resultant presentation. Because of the phase differences inherent in these quads, I get sound all around. It is so effective that I often am in denial that the surrounds aren’t engaged. So even when downmixed to 2-channel, multichannel wins again.

Back