Dr. John Dead at 77

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is that in surround? I couldn't find that any of his stuff had quad mixes back in the day (though the material would have been well suited to that treatment).

I had mistakenly said so (and edited it), but it is stereo. Still, sounds great! "Master Tape Sound" it claims.

I did get the Brightest Smile DVD-A, too. Also sounds good.

Circular Vibes, is the mono Gris Gris LP a "foldover" mix, or is it different mix altogether?

I think the DVDA is 2 channel. As to Gris Gris, I do not know. It was on the Classic Records label and bought from Acoustic Sounds. Gris Gris This is from the website,
Original 1968 mono mix; first time reissued!

Mastered by Kevin Gray at Cohearent Audio; pressed at RTI

I saw Kevin Gray and clicked buy. Didn't even see the original mono mix. Doh!

Dr. John could be said to be a notch above the many top-flight artists in the world of music. His skill set has been rarely equaled during 65 years in the music game (he started at the age of 13).

A multi-instrumentalist noted for his mastery of the piano.

A unique singer with his growling and highly identifiable vocal style.

A prolific songwriter.

An artist fluent in many forms of music that include blues, jazz and rock n' roll.

A highly acclaimed recording artist recognized by his several Grammy Awards.

A highly in-demand session player appearing on recordings of too many to mention notable artists.

A proud torchbearer celebrating the unique music of New Orleans.

Dr. John had it all. For me, he rose to the level of genius in music. A truly remarkable musician who I will sadly miss.

Last edited:
A little fun note. My wife, I didn't know her then, is on the back cover of Tango Palace, she is in the lower left being kissed by the guy.
She was a bartender in Venice Beach, CA and they just waled into the bar, took a bunch
R-1689502-1378566962-8301.jpeg.jpg

Saw Little Feat last night in Denver. Bill Payne made a nice tribute to Dr John, and then the band broke into Iko Iko during Dixie Chicken. Videos here:

50th Anniversary Tour already? Man time flies when you’re have’n too much fun.
Fred plays horn too; and a big shout out to Kenny, Love your style Kenny!!!
The Dr. smiling down from above, joining in and tickling the ivory.

Last edited:
was always a big fan of the Mac through his supporting roles (especially through Canned Heat's stuff)...got a box set of his ATCO LPs quite cheap and it was a great trip..
R-10993773-1507847117-8742.jpeg.jpg

now that I live in NOLA I am more of a fan..
Read his Autobiography and couldn't put it down!!! read it in less than a week (and I am slow reader!!) HIGHLY recommended!!!!!

As it is, I "splurged" and got hit 2 LPs on Horizon and his 1989 "In a sentimental mood" on LP and 3 other CDs quite cheap from Discogs...

LONG LIVE MAC!!!!

was always a big fan of the Mac through his supporting roles (especially through Canned Heat's stuff)...got a box set of his ATCO LPs quite cheap and it was a great trip..

Read his Autobiography and couldn't put it down!!! read it in less than a week (and I am slow reader!!) HIGHLY recommended!!!!!

As it is, I "splurged" and got hit 2 LPs on Horizon and his 1989 "In a sentimental mood" on LP and 3 other CDs quite cheap from Discogs...

LONG LIVE MAC!!!!
I believe that's the same set I bought from HDTracks :unsure: -still need to find time to listen to that :oops:

https://www.discogs.com/Dr-John-The-ATCO-Studio-Albums-Collection/release/11384449

LONG LIVE MAC!!!!
Long live, Mac!

Back