Dream Theater - A View From The Top Of The World (5.1)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For me, Andy Sneap's attempt at 5.1 was a complete non-event - it's 95% stereo with minimal content elsewhere...the Self-Titled and Distance Over Time mixes are amazing by comparison (and they're not all that amazing). A wasted opportunity.

Good to know that I'm not the only one with that perception...I was questioning my audio setup and my aging brain!

For me, Andy Sneap's attempt at 5.1 was a complete non-event - it's 95% stereo with minimal content elsewhere...the Self-Titled and Distance Over Time mixes are amazing by comparison (and they're not all that amazing). A wasted opportunity.
I agree that the last album sounds so lacking in 5.1 but I was thoroughly entertained by the self-titled. So is it worth getting the 5.1 Distance Over Time if you're a massive DT fan? I have been contemplating hitting checkout on that release.

I agree that the last album sounds so lacking in 5.1 but I was thoroughly entertained by the self-titled. So is it worth getting the 5.1 Distance Over Time if you're a massive DT fan? I have been contemplating hitting checkout on that release.
Until recently DT were my favourite band, the last two 5.1’s are not very good unfortunately, better than stereo though…just

Until recently DT were my favourite band, the last two 5.1’s are not very good unfortunately, better than stereo though…just
So do you recommend not getting DOT? Is it just an ambient surround sound mix with nothing exciting happening across all the channels?

DT was one of my favorite bands as well. Once Portnoy left the band they seemed to lose something and I found their music much less accessible. Perhaps he kept them grounded a bit.

I agree with your assessment of their surround mixes, although I didn't bother getting the last one (just the cd) because, as I said, they kind of lost me musically.

Mike Portnoy is coming back to the band so maybe he will bring some more mainstream sensibilities to the song writing. I will definitely be checking out their next release.

https://dreamtheater.net/dream-theater-announce-the-return-of-drummer-mike-portnoy/

Back