HiRez Poll Dream Theater - DREAM THEATER [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Dream Theater - DREAM THEATER

• 5:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
Took a detour on the way home tonight and stopped at Best Buy. To my surprise, they had multiple copies of the 2-disc version, but I didn't waste any time counting them. I grabbed one and headed to the register, where I found that it was on sale for $13.99. I was reluctant to pre-order it from Amazon because I didn't want to find $11.01 more to get Super-Saver Shipping... anyway, I digress! But it was fun to buy a new 5.1 mix at a brick-and-mortar.

I haven't listened critically - I just threw it in and let it roll over my ears. On first pass, it's pretty active. If discrete and ambient are polar opposites (opinions may vary), I'd put this on the discrete side. Again, I wasn't being too critical - just soaking it in - but if I were a Dream Theater fan who never heard a 5.1 mix, I'd probably be calling all my friends and ranting about it right now!

This disc is a little odd in that there is simply NO MENU. The 96/24 5.1 mix begins immediately on my Denon. As MattB2 pointed out, the only way to get to the 96/24 stereo mix is by using the "Audio" button. The same is true for Dolby on my BD player - the 5.1 DD mix plays immediately and the 2.0 DD mix is only available with the "Audio" button.

some folks are calling this a "Limited Edition", does anybody know if this is a time-limited thing or a numbers limited (i.e. will they keep on repressing it for say 6 months/a year and then stop? or have they pressed 5,000/10,000/20,000/50,000 worldwide and that's it no more?).

meantime, the feedback on the mix is good.. makes me wonder how much of the Rush 5.1's mixing decisions have been made by committee/the band rather than by Chycki himself..!?

Although I've only listened to the 5.1 mix once from beginning to end, I've been getting to know the CD in my car and at work. From a pure content perspective, I'm really loving this album.

The only Dream Theater album I had previously was "Images and Words" (like a lot of people, I would guess, because of the single "Pull Me Under"). I haven't paid much attention to them since. But hearing this new album reminds me of seeing a high school classmate twenty years later - sure, they've matured, but they look just the same! To me it's fascinating that the music can be so very different yet still sound like it was cut from the same cloth. All I can say is that this is a band who knows who they are. It's really a brilliant album, every bit as much as "Images and Words" was to me twenty years ago.

Last night I revisited two tracks in 5.1, and I've decided the next time I have someone over to hear my setup, "The Looking Glass" is the first track they're going to hear! WOW!

Still not voting yet...

meantime, the feedback on the mix is good.. makes me wonder how much of the Rush 5.1's mixing decisions have been made by committee/the band rather than by Chycki himself..!?

Only listened once as just got it yesterday but impressions are very good,the mix is good,dynamics pretty good, so really does make one wonder what happened with Rush(esp Signals) after hearing this mix.
Really glad this came out and love how you just pop the DVDA in and it starts playing right aways. Will listen a few more times before voting.

Some people are having issues with this disc in the newer Oppo disc players. I have moved those discussion to their own thread, with the hopes that they are resolved and no longer relavent as time goes by.

If you have these problems too and want to join that discussion, hopefully to a resolution, here's the link:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...po-issues-with-Dream-Theater-DVD-Audio-(9-13)

(Thanks to Dr. Simple for the suggestion) (y)

I missed this release completely, so am really pleased to be reading this post. :) ...so pleased, in fact, that I just ordered myself a copy. :) Has anyone had a stab at counting the new 5.1 releases in 2013 so far? Must be many years since we saw this many.

I have to say that this is a pleasant surprise on a few fronts:

1. Its a DVD-A - and it sounds pretty good. I wasn't expecting much after Systematic Chaos. And has been said the drums sound nice, and if you crank it even better... :eek:
2. Chyichi(sp) is getting better in his mixes methinks.... this and 2112 aren't too bad...not Elliot or Steven Wilson level, but good.

Interesting that there is no video at all - I wonder what "the masses" think of that?

Annoying that it kicks into the second title (i.e. DVD-V layer at the end of playing also...

But hey - its DVD-A and sounds great....

Last edited:
As for the Limited edition "status" I'd say this is pretty common.

They had 5-6 on the "New Releases" shelf at my local store. :yikes

Maybe this will convert a few people to surround???

No video at all? How do you select stereo or 5.1 then, or is only 5.1 included?

Haven't listened enough yet to rate this mix, but so far, I'm tempted to give this a 10. Content, sound and mix are just awesome. The "False Awakening Suite" alone is great, and it's just a precursor. Very nice! Will spin it a couple more times before voting.

I still try to keep my list updated here in my blog post. BTW, any input and ideas welcome (except for the layout).

Thanks for the reminder about your Blog. I have used it before but haven't looked for a while. Must get into the habit of checking regularly! btw feel free to add hi rez 5.1 downloads of Magenta's albums "Metamorphosis", "Seven" and "Chameleon" to the list. I know they're imminent but have no confirmation of release date yet.

I really like it's simplicity (the disc's, that is). Just put it in your player and it plays, just like any cd...
Sound and mix are really suiting the music, it has a lot of impact, and the rears are "there" as well. Musically there's not so much that sticks in my mind (after 5 or 6 listenings) so overall I gave it an 8.

Wow. I haven't been around in a while. I've got the stereo 24/96, but had no idea there was a surround version. Going to have to dig this up!

Just a reminder that the QQ DVD-Audio releases has it's own tab at top of this page - listed by year: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/dvdalist.htm

There's a few to add; we should perhaps consider reversing the order so that 2013 is first?

I just filled in a few holes in the official list, but haikubass is the place to go for all surround releases. He gets a GOLD STAR for his efforts.
Great job! :)

Back