HiRez Poll Dream Theater - DREAM THEATER [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Dream Theater - DREAM THEATER

• 5:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
I just think this disc is fantastic. I'm voting a "9" only because this music is not a "must have" for everyone. If you ARE into this music, then this disc is a "must have" for you. Brilliant writing, flawless execution, great sonics and a great surround mix. For the most part, the drums are across the front (not always - there are some special effects where the drums spin around the room), and the strings and synths are in the back. The drums are much more pronounced than on the Rush mixes. Guitars and vocals are sometimes spread among all speakers to bring them out. I'm definitely hearing parts in the 5.1 mix that I don't hear in stereo, which in my opinion is one of the reasons we like 5.1.

What a treat this is.

Edit: I went to vote and saw the description of a "10" and couldn't resist: "Great Surround, Great Fidelity, Great Content."

Count me in for another 10. Despite my issues with the Oppo 103 (most likely a firmware issue with the autoplay menu-less authoring). This is a thrilling, in your face, balls out 5.1 mix. Extra credit is due to Dream Theater and Richard Chycki for not folding in the face of the criticism (deservedly) for their previous 5.1 attempts. The music may not be everyone's cup o' tea but you cannot deny the musicianship and technical craft. This time they got it right. Up there with the best this year so far IMHO.

I give this one a solid 9. I have never really heard much about Dream Theater, and I was pleasantly surprised. It's a little more "metallic" than I'm used to, but never enough to make me roll my eyes or pigeon hole it. The mix is wonderful; the fidelity is very good, if not great. The standout tracks to me are "Behind the Veil" and "Illumination Theory," especially the string interlude. Simplicity has its virtues, but I wish there were some menu options and visuals.

This is a terrific disc! I used to buy everything DT released as soon as they came out, then tapered off. All their albums are great, some are better. Liking this one very much, another spin before I vote.

Dream Theater 2013 DVD-A plays on Denon DBT 1703UD with no issues.

I admit I was skeptical because the previous DT releases were mastered in typical "metal/hard rock" fashion, meaning brickwall limiting. Yes, the dynamics are compressed, but not nearly as bad as the latest ZZ-Top or Metallica offerings.
In fact this is an unexpected gem, provided you're able to handle this musical style (progressive rock).
The 22 minute last track is a "beast" with 2 lovely quieter sections. I must say I like it. So far the first impression.

I was also pleasantly surprised with this 5.1. I am giving it a 9, taking off one point as it's not brickwalled but there is more compression than I would like. The mix is well done and songs are also well done.
Really happy that this came out, have been enjoying it all week in my daily commute.
Hope more people buy it as it's worth it.

One of the many reasons I'm glad to be a QQer is that I find out about 5.1 discs I would never have found on my own. And with everyone's reviews and the low cost, I ordered it sight unseen and sound unheard. It just arrived, can't wait to hear it and rate it. Thanks all!

Wow - what an incredible mix this is! Seems extra special as it came pretty much out of the blue for me. Because of the playback issues I had to rip it to 24/96 flac but it streams perfectly and is, imho absolutely jaw dropping. Superb audio quality and the mix is fully discrete and superbly well done. The drums in particular are very well recorded and positioned with loads of dynamics - like the best of Gavin Harrison on the top Porcs mixes, but even more powerful. Have to agree with other posts - it's how Rush should have been mixed.

Agree with a lot of the comments on production and audio quality, its very well done. My only issue is the music, it doesn't hold my attention long and to me sounds the same as other previous releases of theirs. The keyboards in particular was a bit much for me, reminded me of carnival music in some parts. Still enjoyed it just wont be playing it a lot.

Picked this up from Amazon. I was a little skeptical the DVD disc was 5.1 until I read the review from some dope complaining the second disc was not DVD-V. First listen I agree, good use of rear speakers. Music is a little more metal for my taste but hey its 5.1 24/96 and very reasonably priced. Will vote after listening to it a few more times. Thanks DT!

mix isn't really very adventurous but pretty decent. i guess it's their first 5.1
and if they will continue to explore surround, there will be more progression in future.

all in all it's nice to see more recent acts has joined lossless surround camp.
soundwise - seems someone, who did sound mastering, slightly screwed up.
at least drums sounds quite weird sonically.

conclusion: for $16 it's very worthy addition to HiRez surround collection.

mix isn't really very adventurous but pretty decent. i guess it's their first 5.1
and if they will continue to explore surround, there will be more progression in future.

all in all it's nice to see more recent acts has joined lossless surround camp.
soundwise - seems someone, who did sound mastering, slightly screwed up.
at least drums sounds quite weird sonically.

conclusion: for $16 it's very worthy addition to HiRez surround collection.

Dream Theater had a 5.1 album (Dolby Dig. only) a few years ago, though I only bought it in the last few weeks :eek:

I had very high hopes here, as this is easily the band's best album in many years, and the HDTracks hi-Rez stereo is just an excellent stereo mix. While, instrumentally, the surround mix has its moments, it's also a flawed mix. On the hi-Rez stereo, Mike Mangini's drums are crisp and really just explode all over the soundfield, they come off as "thick" here and mixed in an unimaginative manner. James LaBrie's vocal is way off as well. Way too much vocal in the rears, and it almost sounds off-center and left-side dominant at times. Why do they do this? Why? Why? I. I could have extracted a better vocal from the stereo. Sonically, I can't help but fine this a bit flat compared to the hi-Rez stereo as well.

Not that menus and bells and whistles matter to me, but there.......aren't any? I guess I'm not the only one who doesn't care there.

The nice flourishes at least get this to average territory, and it's a terrific album from a band I thought that, for all their talents, had been treading water for a while now. On that, we give it a 6 out of 10.

I gave it a 9.

I loved the fidelity and the mix was very very good, but expected more. I didnt like some of the vocals not being in the center, that was the onli thing mix/sound wise I didnt like.

The album was far superior than their previous alums IMHO. Systematic Chaos was Chaos, Octavarium had 2 or 3 good songs the rest was pretty bad (Actually the Title Track is amazing), Black Clouds and Silver Linings has 1 good song, "The Count of Tuscany" and "A Dramatic Turn of Events" Ive only listented 2 or 3 times and haven caught my attention.

So I was rather sceptical about this new album, but I was wrong, It is a very good album, not one of their masterpieces but very good, I find some Images & Words stuff in the album, but with a modern sounds if you like, which is obvious. I dont know If I like this album because its is very well mastered and the 5.1 mix or because its good either way.

havent listened in stereo in the car so we will have to wait until I do to know if I really liked the album or just blinded by the 5.1

Not a big fan,but I like this disc a lot.Songs 1, 8 and 9 are my favorites.Gave it 9 but would've given it 10 now if I could.:)
Have the Systematic Chaos 5.1 disc and like that one to,even if it's only DD.

Regards

This disc is really well done. I'm not a big DT fan and only own one other cd. The music is of course, extremely busy. It's not a show-off surround disc and I'm very happy about that. (I'm well past that now). If you want a well recorded, well produced surround disc... Then this is a must-have. There are some really well done parts in the surrounds and the panning is great. Many times I found myself smiling when a drum fill reached the rears and then pans all the way around. The strings and guitars really envelope you. I'm not a surround sound music mixer and won't nit pick it like I am. Those that have said there's not much going on here either haven't really listened carefully or just want a Chesky 'listen to this' disc. It's Clean, powerful, enveloping, rocking..... We'll done Dream Theater! And thank you for keeping surround music alive and more than a gimmick. At this point in the history of surround sound music, I'll take any disc like this any time they come along.

Great mixes! This is how drums should be mixed in 5.1. I would recommend this album to everyone. 9/10 for me. Mastering is a big improvement on the last effort(systematic chaos), no digital clipping on this one.

Back